Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 06:55 PM

218 posts, read 604,643 times

Advertisements

I don't think this thread conflicts or duplicates the current thread, but if it does, toss it to the pile; otherwise, here it is:

I just got back from dinner with friends, 3 of whom are Christians. My question to them was when one talks about Heaven and seeing fellow Christians, does one mean in their human form? Two said yes, and one said no. And I couldn't get any further information.

This is not an antagnostic thread. I'm truly curious: When you say "I'll see you in Heaven," will that person be the person they were when they died? at their best-looking stage of life? a "spirit" that you will inherently recognize? what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 06:59 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,211,777 times
I don't think that is something scripture reveals. There are scriptures in Revelation which refer to things about groups of people being there. But in general, I think that is one of the secret things. (Deut. 29:29)

Old 08-03-2007, 07:14 PM

218 posts, read 604,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I don't think that is something scripture reveals. There are scriptures in Revelation which refer to things about groups of people being there. But in general, I think that is one of the secret things. (Deut. 29:29)
I just went through four boxes (I moved about 2 years ago and as you probably know, I don't subscribe to any religiion) and finally found the bible that was given to me when I was baptized (let me add that I don't think I've ever seen you all refer to this particular version -- its the Revised Standard Version). Anyway, you mention other scripture. Would it be too much trouble to lead me to those particular scriptures that refer to groups of people? You may laugh at this, but in order for me to find a book in the bible, I practically have to recite all the books in order to get to the right one (sort of like your ABCs). Good ol' Southern Baptist upbringing.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:35 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,418,213 times
Imo, when we get to heaven, we will not recognize each other, I believe that if we did, that may be a human trait.( you know like...Question. "Wow, what are you doing hereI" Answer. "You know, I haven't found my best friend yet, and he died 10 years ago. I guess he didn't make it."...I'm not sure that we can have that behavior in heaven..I just tend to think that we will see everyone as loved ones. I don't think God will leave any room for imperfection, so he would have to remove all earthly thoughts and memories from us.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASunshine View Post
I just went through four boxes (I moved about 2 years ago and as you probably know, I don't subscribe to any religiion) and finally found the bible that was given to me when I was baptized (let me add that I don't think I've ever seen you all refer to this particular version -- its the Revised Standard Version). Anyway, you mention other scripture. Would it be too much trouble to lead me to those particular scriptures that refer to groups of people? You may laugh at this, but in order for me to find a book in the bible, I practically have to recite all the books in order to get to the right one (sort of like your ABCs). Good ol' Southern Baptist upbringing.
Well, actually I "happened" to turn right to one of the ones I was thinking about. It is Revelation 7:9 "After these things I looked, and behold, a great multitude, which no one could count, from every nation and all tribes and peoples and tongues, standing before the throne and and before the Lamb, clothed in white robes, and palm branches were in their hands:..." Revelation is the last book in the Bible.

Yeah, Revised Standard Version used to be a fairly popular translation. I don't know why it isn't used as much anymore.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Imo, when we get to heaven, we will not recognize each other, I believe that if we did, that may be a human trait.( you know like...Question. "Wow, what are you doing hereI" Answer. "You know, I haven't found my best friend yet, and he died 10 years ago. I guess he didn't make it."...I'm not sure that we can have that behavior in heaven..I just tend to think that we will see everyone as loved ones. I don't think God will leave any room for imperfection, so he would have to remove all earthly thoughts and memories from us.
I think we will know and see our loved ones again. And maybe I'm just biased on this issue, since I have every hope of seeing my son again in heaven, but I infer this from the following verses in 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 "But we do not want you to be uninformed, brethren, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve, as do the rest who have not hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who have fallen asleep in Jesus. For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord, shall not precede those who have fallen asleep, For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trumpet of God; and the dead in Christ shall rise first.
Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and thus we shall always be with the Lord. Therefore, comfort one another with these words." NASB

I think this was why the apostle Paul was saying that we shouldn't grieve as those who have no hope--because we will see our loved ones who have died in the Lord again.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:12 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,232,327 times
There is also scripture and I can't remember right now where it is but it says we will be known as we were known.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:13 PM

2 posts, read 26,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Then what is the point of going to heaven? I mean if your thoughts and memories are removed, what is left of you? Are you even still you?

Old 08-03-2007, 10:29 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,232,327 times
Smile just my thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfarock View Post
Then what is the point of going to heaven? I mean if your thoughts and memories are removed, what is left of you? Are you even still you?
The point of going to heaven is to be with Our Lord. I think we will know each other and I think we will see loved ones cast in to hell. Then when all of judgement is over God will wipe away all our tears there will be no more sadness. We will be in gloryfied bodies and we will then understand it all.
That is why so many christians try to shove what they believe down someones throat. I don't think they mean to they just don't want to see anyone go to hell.Don't flame me I'm not telling you your going I'm telling you what I believe.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:56 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,418,213 times
[quote=halfarock;1206532]Then what is the point of going to heaven? I mean if your thoughts and memories are removed, what is left of you? Are you even still you?[/quot

The point in going to heaven, IMO, is to be in the Lords presence in a place he has gone to prepare for us, where there will be no more tears, no pain and no suffering .

It is really hard to imagine what we will be like in heaven. I was just thinking that if we had our thoughts and memories that we had while on the earth that we would not be fully spiritual, because so many of our thoughts are human and are emotional as far as jealousy, pride anger, etc. All of this is just my ranbling thoughts, not meant to persuede anyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality