Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2007, 08:55 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,433,628 times

Advertisements

thank you sergeantl for explaining about excommunication

Old 08-21-2007, 03:33 PM

4 posts, read 44,096 times
Thank you all for such an interesting read (all 100 posts.) I am not LDS but I AM married to a Mormon.....and it is such a blessing.

The conciliatory nature that I saw (and still see) in my wife comes through with all the replies from LDS members. If you still feel that the BoM is evil, try reading through all the posts again and try to pick out any that are aggressive or pompous, You won't find any......except for those trying to disprove Mormonism Mormons tend to be quietly confident, and why shouldn't they be. after all, it is what they believe.

Did you know, The Mormon church make huge charitable contributions to world catastrophies (please excuse the spelling, my spellcheck has gone on the blink) Mormons don't mention this, it's done "on the quiet." If a fellow Mormon falls on hard times, the local ward assists with food!.............(Not only Mormons, a beggar recently started frequenting the chapel trying to get money out of the congregation, the Bishop explained to him that no money would be forthcoming......but took him down to the local "chippie" for a Sunday lunch, Have you seen your Priest or Vicar do that?)

I have two daughters by marriage, aged 13 and 16. Through their church teachings, they have been brought up to believe that sex outside of marriage is a sin, They do not swear, Their clothing, though modern, is conservative in that shoulders and cleavage are covered and that skirt hems are at such a length as to be modest. Now! for those of you that feel that Mormonism is "evil," open your eyes to the world around you..can you come back to me and say that my daughters are being brought up in an evil religion?

Old 08-21-2007, 03:37 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,383 times
I believe I answered this post close to the beginning. I don't believe Mormons are evil. However, I answered the question that was posed.
"What do non-Mormon Christians think of the Book of Mormon". Well, I'm not Mormon, so for me, it makes perfect sense that I don't believe in the Book of Mormon. I can disagree with their views without thinking they are evil. I will agree with you that they do have a great values system. Overall, they are wonderful people.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:40 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,188,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
Generally this thread has been pretty respectful, but I find it interesting how glibly some of our Christian brothers and sisters through out labels. People find it almost blasphemous when the LDS speak of authority and restoration. But you will never hear in LDS doctrine the labeling of a specific religion as a "cult." I guess somehow from their perspective that’s not offensive to do so, but the LDS perspective is?
I would never think of the Mormons as a cult. But when I didn't join the church most of my Mormon relatives believed any church I became involved with would be a "Cult". This may not come from the church directly but the members get this idea from some where.

What I find so confusing is we are all suppose to be Christians and every organized religion is waiting to convert or pray us to their denomination and believe we will not actually get to Heaven by our faith in the Lord Jesus.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:19 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,188,880 times
Didn't mean to scare everyone away!! This is all apart of being a Christian. Christians get bashed and so do Christian Catholics & Mormons goes with the territory, heck the Atheist even feel we are bashing them when asked a question.. You just need to know some what answers and others will reject your opinion.

I just find it says no where in the Bible that you MUST belong to a certain denomination and you will be saved. I was reading on CD were the Catholics think the same thing, so as far as organized religion it's NOT about the Saviour it's about the CHURCH!!! Don't get it no wonder non-believers chose to NOT believe.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:31 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
Didn't mean to scare everyone away!! This is all apart of being a Christian. Christians get bashed and so do Christian Catholics & Mormons goes with the territory, heck the Atheist even feel we are bashing them when asked a question.. You just need to know some what answers and others will reject your opinion.

I just find it says no where in the Bible that you MUST belong to a certain denomination and you will be saved. I was reading on CD were the Catholics think the same thing, so as far as organized religion it's NOT about the Saviour it's about the CHURCH!!! Don't get it no wonder non-believers chose to NOT believe.
Well you're right on here. It is about the Saviour, not the church.

John 14:6-7 - "I myself am the road," replied Jesus, "and the truth and the life. No one approaches the Father except through me. If you had known who I am, you would have known my Father. From now on, you do know him and you have seen him."

Nothing here about a denomination.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:32 PM

10 posts, read 25,448 times
Default moooroon

Just another book like the bible of silly story's that have no value on our life.
god created by man, not man created by god.
Lets look at what they teach, 600bc Jesus came to America and thought the people of this land, there came to be two tribes, one all good and one all bad, god told the good tribe that if the good tribe kept doing all good that they would win over the bad tribe, but they did not and the bad tribe won, and wiped out the good tribe except for one man, Mormon, who was given the book of Mormon written on golden tablets in a type of hieroglyphics, he buried these tablets in what is now new York state.
Smith was then directed by the angle Mulroney [spelling] to find this gold tablets, and a special stone that if you put it in a hat you can read the book of Mormon, Kind of silly as the scientologist and galactic war lord putting people from all over the universe in to volcanoes bla bla bla.
Then the Mormons wearing their special underwear, we call them Jesus jammies. When you stand back and take a look, it is like all religion, Christians have so many inconsistencies, and wild story's, Like god so loved the world he impregnated a virgin, with his "son" so he could be killed to pay for the sins of his creation who would be the ones to kill his son.
Not even a good novel premise.

Last edited by hsubon; 09-05-2007 at 03:47 PM..

Old 09-05-2007, 03:48 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,445,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
I would never think of the Mormons as a cult. But when I didn't join the church most of my Mormon relatives believed any church I became involved with would be a "Cult". This may not come from the church directly but the members get this idea from some where.

What I find so confusing is we are all suppose to be Christians and every organized religion is waiting to convert or pray us to their denomination and believe we will not actually get to Heaven by our faith in the Lord Jesus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
I'm curious. Why would a demon, what to glorify Christ? Wouldn’t a demon want to glorify Satan? Wouldn’t, a demonic book want to lead people away from Christ as a Savior so people would not find salvation in Him? Next, assuming it is a hoax, what harm has it done? It does not ask people to follow anyone but Christ.

Finally, of those who have posted here, who has actually read the Book of Mormon all the way through? I don’t follow the Qu’ran, but I have read it all the way through. It seems very apparent to me that it is in fact Old Testament writings.
I think it might fall into the anti Christ thought. If I am remembering correctly. The anti-Christ is suppose to be very clever and able to lure good people under the giese of religion away from the other religions.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:26 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
I think it might fall into the anti Christ thought. If I am remembering correctly. The anti-Christ is suppose to be very clever and able to lure good people under the giese of religion away from the other religions.
OK, but what religion would Satan want to lure one from? Methodist, Catholic, Baptist, or the First Church of the Bellybutton?

Old 09-05-2007, 08:26 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,445,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
I believe I answered this post close to the beginning. I don't believe Mormons are evil. However, I answered the question that was posed.
"What do non-Mormon Christians think of the Book of Mormon". Well, I'm not Mormon, so for me, it makes perfect sense that I don't believe in the Book of Mormon. I can disagree with their views without thinking they are evil. I will agree with you that they do have a great values system. Overall, they are wonderful people.
What I found in the bom was almost word for word interpretation of passages out of the bible. I don't have any particulars since it has been a few yrs that I have read the bom.
Has anyone found this to be for them. I was also reading a bible not the mormon/bom combo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality