Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 11:56 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,580,478 times

Advertisements

Isn't it amazing with the technology today,that we can sit in front of our personal computers in the comfort of our own home and communicate with each other over the Religious Forum from all over the country When I was a teenager in high school in the 70's you were lucky if you could afford a hand held calculator and most students like me used slide- rules.

I think its great that we have an opportunity to share our beliefs and try to work out problems that we are having with a booting up of our computer and the click of a mouse.

I am glad to say that I came across the Religious Forum to meet such wonderful people here, that I wouldnt have without a computer

Last edited by noland123; 08-10-2007 at 12:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 12:14 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,277,381 times
Thumbs up It really is amazing...

Yes, a couple of times recently I have thought about how I sit typing on my keyboard and never having laid eyes on any of you or spoken to any of you in person and yet there is this whole world (or at least forum!) of real people I know out there all over the US ...and the UK! It really is mind-boggling when you think about it.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:57 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,631,496 times
I've thought about that quite a bit since I retired because as I'm sitting here waiting for my house to sell I've made alot of new friends in the past few months and I'm actually interacting with other people, although not in person. I can't imagine not having the internet now. I'd feel like I was a total hermit.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:02 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,912,492 times
Montana, I hope the market in Arizona is better then here in California!

Hey, I met my husband online so I'm really thankful for this new technology! How's that for a "story"???

Old 08-10-2007, 05:26 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,012,179 times
Doesn't it make you wonder how we ever managed to survive without City Data and Ebay for all those years prior to the net?

It's funny though, my kids have absolutely NO IDEA what it is like to NOT have a computer . They can't believe that we used to actually have to pull out one of those BOOKS from the encyclopedia in order to do a "research paper" Go figure!

What irritates me however, is the fact that kids are not required to proficiently learn cursive anymore, after all, they can just TYPE it instead (at least that's what they are allowing them to get away with here!). I am STILL teaching my seventh grader how to write cursive, he can't even sign his own name!

While computers are wonderful, they shouldn't be allowing the computer to take the place of "basic" education

Old 08-10-2007, 07:01 PM

23,021 posts, read 34,403,662 times
I agree noland, the support I got on here when my husband was in the hospital was incredible, I will never forget the kinds words and prayers from my friends here at City Data.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:18 PM

7,998 posts, read 12,282,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I'd feel like I was a total hermit.
(In aftermath of most recent phone conversation, 10 minutes ago) :

--Didn't we just discuss a few solutions for that????

xo June

Old 08-10-2007, 07:42 PM

982 posts, read 3,308,301 times
Quote:
Hey, I met my husband online so I'm really thankful for this new technology! How's that for a "story"???
Me too!!

And I agree with Montanaguy - I would feel so cut-off without the Internet at times, especially since I stayed home for a year. You all indeed have been great!

Old 08-10-2007, 08:06 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,521,759 times
It is a totally different world than when I grew up in the 50's and 60's..Yes, I know, "The olden days" I have adapted very well, thank you Since I am not willing to retire or grow old, the computer keeps me young at heart and gives me the oportunity to meet and enjoy so many friends since I was, and still am, busy with children, grandchildren and all the work involved. I am a family person and you all have become my extended family. I laugh, cry, share your joy, pray for you and worry if you don't check in for several days..

Old 08-10-2007, 08:12 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,794,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
It is a totally different world than when I grew up in the 50's and 60's..Yes, I know, "The olden days" I have adapted very well, thank you Since I am not willing to retire or grow old, the computer keeps me young at heart and gives me the oportunity to meet and enjoy so many friends since I was, and still am, busy with children, grandchildren and all the work involved. I am a family person and you all have become my extended family. I laugh, cry, share your joy, pray for you and worry if you don't check in for several days..
Blue, you're a sweetheart!!

Technology is wonderful, as long as it stays in its proper place. It has given us tremendous advantages, and disadvantages as well. I think it's wonderful that this forum is here and we can express our opinions to a wider audience that ever imagined. I've always wanted a way to get my voice heard, and here it is! I'm just glad you all put up with me the way you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality