Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 09:17 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times

Advertisements

I've been wondering about this. Heaven is usually described as complete joy, complete peace, and a lot of people (especially on here) have talked about how they look forward to singing & worshiping Jesus there.

But for a lot of you, by your own statements, can't possibly believe that all your loved ones will be there with you. I especially think of people who have asked for their grown children to be prayed for, because these grown children aren't Christian. Or aren't "really" Christian (I've noticed this distinction is made a lot too). In other words--they may go through the motions but haven't truly accepted Jesus as their savior.

As Alpha once pointed out (hi Alpha), "believing in" Jesus isn't enough--Satan believed in Jesus.

Okay, all that said. I am looking to see how Christians feel about this particular idea. Will you still be singing, rejoycing and praising and dancing and all that good stuff if you look down and there is your child, screaming in agony for trillions and trillions of years?

Or your Buddhist neighbors who you spent many a fine Friday night playing pinochle with? How about the non-Christian who happened to drive by and see some stranger in a van trying to get your child into it, and scared the person away? What about your sister, who you have shared thousands of evenings of giggles with, but who is agnostic? How about your spouse, who loves you to death but just "won't" convert?

Has anybody thought about this yet? What were your conclusions? Will you really be happy if there is such a heaven as you believe in, and such a hell, and people you love are in hell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 09:22 AM

1,082 posts, read 3,779,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I've been wondering about this. Heaven is usually described as complete joy, complete peace, and a lot of people (especially on here) have talked about how they look forward to singing & worshiping Jesus there.

But for a lot of you, by your own statements, can't possibly believe that all your loved ones will be there with you. I especially think of people who have asked for their grown children to be prayed for, because these grown children aren't Christian. Or aren't "really" Christian (I've noticed this distinction is made a lot too). In other words--they may go through the motions but haven't truly accepted Jesus as their savior.

As Alpha once pointed out (hi Alpha), "believing in" Jesus isn't enough--Satan believed in Jesus.

Okay, all that said. I am looking to see how Christians feel about this particular idea. Will you still be singing, rejoycing and praising and dancing and all that good stuff if you look down and there is your child, screaming in agony for trillions and trillions of years?

Or your Buddhist neighbors who you spent many a fine Friday night playing pinochle with? How about the non-Christian who happened to drive by and see some stranger in a van trying to get your child into it, and scared the person away? What about your sister, who you have shared thousands of evenings of giggles with, but who is agnostic? How about your spouse, who loves you to death but just "won't" convert?

Has anybody thought about this yet? What were your conclusions? Will you really be happy if there is such a heaven as you believe in, and such a hell, and people you love are in hell?
We won't even think about such things in heaven, there is only joy. I do not think we will even be aware of those we loved here on earth not being with us.
I pray that each person I know and even those I don't, make the decision for Christ. Not because I want to be with them in heaven, but because I want them to go to heaven.
MBG

Old 06-11-2007, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightbirdgirl View Post
We won't even think about such things in heaven, there is only joy. I do not think we will even be aware of those we loved here on earth not being with us.
OK...is there scripture that backs this up? Or is this just your hope/personal interpretation?

Old 06-11-2007, 09:46 AM

Quote:
OK...is there scripture that backs this up? Or is this just your hope/personal interpretation?
Revelation 7:17
For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes.

Isaiah 25
8He will swallow up death in victory; and the Lord GOD will wipe away tears from off all faces; and the rebuke of his people shall he take away from off all the earth: for the LORD hath spoken it.

MBG

Old 06-11-2007, 09:55 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,115,644 times
Revelation 21:4 tells us, “He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”

I don't think there is any scripture I can recall that relates to the idea of being/not being aware that they are in heaven with us. Help, anyone?

I have several family members who do not believe in Christ and I am praying for them in that regard. I know the anguish I feel for them and the idea that they may not be there one day but only God knows the condition of their heart. I can only hope, for their sake, that they do know Him.

There is some information we have been given about heaven in scripture but it is only the tip of the iceberg. There is sooooo much more we don't know and I think there is a reason for that. My belief is that if we know all about heaven, there are some who will live their life based only on the promise of how wonderful it will be there and not because they truly love God. The main reward of following Christ here is to be with Him and all else goes with that. Any thoughts? Have a blessed day.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightbirdgirl View Post
Revelation 7:17
For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes.

Isaiah 25
8He will swallow up death in victory; and the Lord GOD will wipe away tears from off all faces; and the rebuke of his people shall he take away from off all the earth: for the LORD hath spoken it.

MBG
Okay, but you didn't say your tears would be wiped away in heaven, you said we "won't even think about such things" (as family) in heaven. I don't see that in these scriptures.

Do you have any evidence (scripture is fine) that you won't think about such things as family in hell once you're in heaven?

Old 06-11-2007, 10:00 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,037 times
Quote:
Okay, but you didn't say your tears would be wiped away in heaven, you said we "won't even think about such things" (as family) in heaven. I don't see that in these scriptures.

Do you have any evidence (scripture is fine) that you won't think about such things as family in hell once you're in heaven?
just imo, and only imo here, i sat thru many sermons that the preacher clearly stated that those in hell would have full recollection of their lifes.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
just imo, and only imo here, i sat thru many sermons that the preacher clearly stated that those in hell would have full recollection of their lifes.
Yes, and people who claim near death experiences most often say they saw loved ones. And the people who claim NDEs involving hell were certainly self-aware.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:10 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,037 times
from what ive read, you are correct.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:16 AM

Quote:

If I was dwelling on such things there would be sadness, ie tears.
Even the mere thought would bring one to tears, no?
MBG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality