U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2022, 09:53 AM

9,266 posts, read 3,700,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
My last few posts have started with "If". I'm just reasoning these things out.

Do you disagree with the logic that follows from my "if" qualifiers?
No your logic requires your God to not only exist but to do things you have no evidence he did even in your Bible. If the global flo occurred and God converted some herbivours to carnivours or omnivorbs your explainations still lack evidence outside of your Bible so it really does not matter if you use if or not it all requires ignoring all that is nor in the Bible.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2022, 10:23 AM

10,160 posts, read 5,393,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Your body of posts makes it pretty clear what kind of America you want. You can pretend these are all intellectual exercises, but we know better.
Who are you speaking for besides yourself?

Old 08-10-2022, 10:27 AM

43,265 posts, read 18,785,782 times
Quote:
Who are you speaking for besides yourself?
It's obvious. And don't ask for proof...cause you don't believe in proof.

Old 08-10-2022, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It's obvious. And don't ask for proof...cause you don't believe in proof.
Hmm...

Old 08-17-2022, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
IF your hypothetical were true, sure. But there is just a Book of Assertions that states it as fact. We have no actual reason to think that at one time animals did not kill and eat each other, and we have a LOT of evidence that evolutionary pressure on survival would create exactly what we see today, ergo, it has always been this way.

In any event there are a lot of practical problems for how a "rupture in the natural order" would work. Do animals suddenly grow fangs or sharper incisors so that they can eat meat? Do formerly herbivore tigers and panthers and alligators suddenly have their entire physiology reconfigured by magic? And will they be magically reconfigured again in this future time when the "lion will lay down with the lamb"? I know which explanation is far simpler and more likely. So do you, at some level, even if you're not permitted to admit it.

In reality all this tortured explanation for The Way Things Are, is itself a reaction to "nature, red in tooth and claw" and the need, if you are asserting a loving interventionist god, to distance said god therefrom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
We have zero evidence that lions or saber tooth cats were ever herbivours. Alk the teeth foubd so far have the teeth of carnivours and is not fossils the evidence for a global flood wiping out all the animals but a breeding pair?

Of course the evidence is only probmatic if your Bible is literal and not alligorical. But the ebidence that contradicts your statement tha all were herbivours prior to the glood are not onl teeth but chewed bones and other fossil remains. Plus questions likevwhy are pronghorns such fast animals if no one was chasing them to eat them and no animal in North America today is anywhere fast enough to bother rhem but we have fosdils of Ametican cheethas.
I just found out today that St. Thomas Aquinas did in fact believe that animals killed and ate each other before the Fall for the simple reason that he did not believe it to be possible for herbivores to morph or evolve into carnivores.

Old 08-18-2022, 12:24 PM

Quote:
I just found out today that St. Thomas Aquinas did in fact believe that animals killed and ate each other before the Fall for the simple reason that he did not believe it to be possible for herbivores to morph or evolve into carnivores.
But even more important or at least more interesting, what do you believe about animals eating other animals before the fall?

Old 08-18-2022, 12:54 PM

Quote:
But even more important or at least more interesting, what do you believe about animals eating other animals before the fall?
I don't know! Definitely something I'd have to think on more.

Old 08-18-2022, 03:59 PM

Quote:
I don't know! Definitely something I'd have to think on more.
Good on you

Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM

3,263 posts, read 2,499,927 times
Quote:
We have zero evidence that lions or saber tooth cats were ever herbivours. Alk the teeth foubd so far have the teeth of carnivours and is not fossils the evidence for a global flood wiping out all the animals but a breeding pair?

Of course the evidence is only probmatic if your Bible is literal and not alligorical. But the ebidence that contradicts your statement tha all were herbivours prior to the glood are not onl teeth but chewed bones and other fossil remains. Plus questions likevwhy are pronghorns such fast animals if no one was chasing them to eat them and no animal in North America today is anywhere fast enough to bother rhem but we have fosdils of Ametican cheethas.
Only the most hardcore of Fundamentalist Christians would believe that Noah’s Ark actually happened.
It’s a metaphorical and allegorical story.
I am University educated in science, and believe it is simply not feasible.
There’s always been herbivores and carnivores, and everything in between.
Humans have been omnivores since the Cave Man era.
Certain species are even are cannibalistic under certain circumstances.
It’s purely about survival.
Our pets have evolved to depend upon us, but their wild instincts are never far below the surface.
Try stopping a pet cat from killing a mouse or a small bird!

Old Yesterday, 08:05 PM

19,843 posts, read 16,915,394 times
Just answering the title...I think God understands why we would!

Ha! I just saw what I wrote here 2013, #37.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality