Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 09:32 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We used to have an assistant director in our department who was a Mormon. He sometimes made these delicious, fancily decorated cakes and brought them in for everyone to share.

Do all Mormons do that? If so, I want to know more Mormons.
LOL! Some of us can hardly boil water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 09:47 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball Pean View Post
All I need to know about Muhammad is that he lied about Jesus. According to Muhammad, Jesus was another false prophet who lied about who he was, and decieved people into thinking he defeated death.
This is pretty wildly incorrect and I'm not sure where you got this idea.

Islam teaches that Paul, and others, lied about Jesus. They deem Jesus to be quite admirable.

CRCC: Center For Muslim-Jewish Engagement: Resources: Religious Texts

Now as a Christian (and history buff) I feel Muhammad, or his followers, cobbled together a view of Jesus based in apocryphal writings, Christian folk traditions or legends, and maybe some statements from orthodox Christians. Because of this some of it strikes me as a bit more accessible than some Protestant preaching. (Muslims value Mary and their views on Christianity were mostly formed Pre-Reformation) In other ways it sounds rather oddball and at variance with the earliest sources we have on Jesus. (They do not believe Jesus was crucified, even though Tacitus I think mentions that) However the Qur'an, what I read of it on the matter anyway, is fairly explicit that Jesus did not lie about who he was.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:49 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaam View Post
Jesus, if he read what you write now, would have said you, you are completely wrong and misguided

since when do you speak for jesus, nobodys heard from him in 2000 years

Old 07-30-2011, 10:08 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
This is pretty wildly incorrect and I'm not sure where you got this idea.

Islam teaches that Paul, and others, lied about Jesus. They deem Jesus to be quite admirable.

Now as a Christian (and history buff) I feel Muhammad, or his followers, cobbled together a view of Jesus based in apocryphal writings, Christian folk traditions or legends, and maybe some statements from orthodox Christians. Because of this some of it strikes me as a bit more accessible than some Protestant preaching. (Muslims value Mary and their views on Christianity were mostly formed Pre-Reformation) In other ways it sounds rather oddball and at variance with the earliest sources we have on Jesus. (They do not believe Jesus was crucified, even though Tacitus I think mentions that) However the Qur'an, what I read of it on the matter anyway, is fairly explicit that Jesus did not lie about who he was.

True, we do believe Jesus(as) like all Prophets(PBUT) is of the highest integrity and only spoke the truth. We do believe the authors of the NT did lie about him or were mistaken. It should be noted that several of the gnostic books also deny that he was crucified. I believe 2 are the gospels of Thomas and Peter that state they saw Jesus(swt) sitting in a tree and watching the Crucifixion. the Gospel of Barnabas also says the same, but there is question as to the true origin of that book. In any case some discarded Gospels support our claim that the one crucified was not Jesus(as)

Old 07-31-2011, 02:49 AM

31,002 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post

Come to think of it, I should not discourage you from talking, as your version of Christianity is enough to cause anyone to want to disassociate themselves from Christianity. In fact it was because of bigots like you I left Christianity. I was begining to sound like you and when I realized how full of hate I had become, I ran from Christianity as fast as I could. But, then again I do not want anyone to leave Christianity because of you, as I know you are not a true Christian, just another bigot using Christianity as a tool to preach hatred.
"I was begining to sound like you and when I realized how full of hate I had become, I ran from Christianity as fast as I could."

I pulled this out from your statement because a friend of mine ran from Islam as fast as she could for similar reasons. Her rational for her escape was not much different than what you are saying about Christianity. Her specific reasons were mostly incidences from her childhood: Being forced to dress covered from head to toe and being pulled from public school to become indoctrinated into the religion. The main reason for her escape was the more recent examples of the "Hi Jacking of Islam" as many people put it. She said that the camel that broke the back was if the religion that she was raised with could be interpreted so incorrectly in her view that it would contribute to all of the attacks, bombings and high jackings that something must be fundamentally wrong with it. I personally view almost all of the major religions as being just as easily misinterpreted.

You have seen both religions so you may have a better idea of why people of the Muslim faith would be more or less easily convinced to attack others from other faiths living in other countries. since most of the attackers though out the 90s and 2000s were Middle Eastern, maybe it is a regional interpretation.

Personally I don't see any good reason a modern society should be guided or controlled by ancient religions.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 07-31-2011 at 03:06 AM..

Old 07-31-2011, 03:14 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,119,187 times
Quote:
The Aryan Nation would love to slaughter Jews and will if they ever gain political power.

Spoken as a true radical fundamentalist. You are the type of Christian, that gives Christianity a poor image to non-Christians.

You do not have the foggiest idea as to what Islam is, except it is something you have been taught to hate. Ignorance causes fear, Fear causes hate. You may begin with learning what an infidel is. There is no Arabic word that translates into the English word Infidel, that is the result of watching too many Rudolph Valentino movies from the 1920s. In it's original usage the popes used the word infidel to mean a non-Catholic and made it permissible for the Crusaders to kill all infidels (Non-Catholics) which included not only Muslims but also Jews, Greek Orthodox and Coptics.

Perhaps one day you will discover ignorance is a false prophet and seems to be the prophet you follow, possibly even worship. Learn the truth and get off your mountain of hate, the higher you climb on that mountain of hate the more difficult it will be to return to the level ground of reason.

Come to think of it, I should not discourage you from talking, as your version of Christianity is enough to cause anyone to want to disassociate themselves from Christianity. In fact it was because of bigots like you I left Christianity. I was begining to sound like you and when I realized how full of hate I had become, I ran from Christianity as fast as I could. But, then again I do not want anyone to leave Christianity because of you, as I know you are not a true Christian, just another bigot using Christianity as a tool to preach hatred.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:17 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,119,187 times
Quote:
Personally I don't see any good reason a modern society should be guided or controlled by ancient religions.
Should we as a modern society be able to censor religious expression?

Old 07-31-2011, 06:48 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,143 times
Quote:
your version of Christianity is enough to cause anyone to want to disassociate themselves from Christianity
Woodrow, did Osama bin Laden's version of Islam cause you to disassociate yourself from Islam?

I suspect not.

Just as you are able to ignore the radical Muslims, many of us are able to ignore the radical Christians. For example, we do not have any desire to burn a Koran, but we don't care if someone else wants to.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:53 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,143 times
Quote:
I never realized the level of hate Christians were capable of until I left Christianity.
Are you serious? You had never heard of the Crusades, the Spanish Inquisition, the Holocaust?

Old 07-31-2011, 08:07 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball Pean View Post
I'm going by what your evil, lying, hate-spewing books teach. God hates Muhammad just as much, and probably more than I do. Muhammad drags Jesus's good name and legacy through the mud, while perverting to all Islammists the true essence of the charectures of the Bible, then spews hatred for all Christians and Jews and procalims that God hates all Christians and Jews and they all will burn in hell. THen he proceeds to slaughter, rape and pillage Jews. THEN he makes it illigal by penalty of death to anyone who thinks otherwise what he says is true or not. How can I NOT be disgusted with Islam? It is disgusting and offensive to God and his people for all the evil that it is. That is where Islam puts itself with God when they all woship an openly evil man, and tolerates all the evil he commits.
WOW, that's a BOLD claim. It must be convenient for you that you and "god" hate all of the same people. It's simply amazing that you and god are so in sync.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality