U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should this forum be renamed "Religion and Philosophy"?
Yes 32 62.75%
No 19 37.25%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 08:30 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,584,273 times

Advertisements

Should this forum be renamed "Religion and Philosophy"? This poll will be open for two days.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 08:43 PM

7,101 posts, read 26,272,292 times
That would be pointless. It would still just be Fundamental Christians against everyone else no matter what you called it.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:56 PM

13,640 posts, read 23,485,685 times
Great idea. There are many people on this forum who enjoy philosophically debating religion. I believe that a lot of believers confuse philosophy with athiesm

Old 08-13-2007, 10:03 PM

2,800 posts, read 9,751,623 times
I honestly can't give an opinion on whether or not it should be renamed, however, I would like to say that we should have some sort of "Rules of Engagement" as a sticky on here. There really should be some kind of guidelines set as to what IS and IS NOT acceptable on here. I feel that would alleviate problems, as well as make the moderator's job a bit easier!

Old 08-14-2007, 04:23 AM

7,920 posts, read 11,656,641 times
Default Couldn't hurt

Actually, it strikes me more as a question of semantics. The actual concept of "religion" is in itself fairly broad, despite whether or not we interpret it to be that way. I suppose it would be more "politically correct" to rename the forum "religion and philosophy," however. I suspect the "renaming" would only effect us in the same way as those who reside on a certain street for years and years, only to have the town decide to change it's name! We would ultimately adapt to our neighborhood's new name...

Old 08-14-2007, 07:45 AM

3,490 posts, read 2,963,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
I honestly can't give an opinion on whether or not it should be renamed, however, I would like to say that we should have some sort of "Rules of Engagement" as a sticky on here. There really should be some kind of guidelines set as to what IS and IS NOT acceptable on here. I feel that would alleviate problems, as well as make the moderator's job a bit easier!
I 2nd this notion, and I voted to change the name.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:17 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,643,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
I am with Kawg on this. I came to this forum to discuss religion and learn from others. I don't know that there can be any "rules" per se. I think that if we are offended by a response, we need to just not reply. As my four year old quite profoundly put it one day, "it is not a game, if I do not play". Oh, the wisdom of a child.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:52 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,043,334 times
Since many of our conversations involve so many philosophical as well as religious points of view I think it would be a more accurate name for the forum so I voted in favor of it.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:48 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,804,761 times
I voted yes, simply because I think it will make it more comfortable for those who are not "religious" but want to have philosophical discussions to come over for some discussions.

We can all ignore the threads we don't want to comment on.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:36 AM

328 posts, read 996,424 times
Default Great Idea !!!!!

A name change is in order....This I believe will open up dialogue even more.
As a Christian I welcome opinions fron other doctrines and philosophies. I am very secure in my faith in Jesus Christ and I in trying to follow his words will open myself to others opinions. Love thy neighbor whether he believes as I do or not (Jesus said this with no yeah buts).....As it is said on signage in front of many churches "All are Welcome here." I hope that all opinions will remain welcome here on CD.
Spiritwalker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality