Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 11:15 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
Reason I am asking( and by the way, I do believe in god) is because it gets a little anoying when i hear people making statements like "god wanted me to take this job". Or "god wanted me to do this and that". At what point, is it when this person makes HIS own decision? Sometimes I hear people making statements like the one described above and it sounds like a cop out.
Observer, you bring up a good point. I feel that sometimes people say those things to justify an unjust action. "After days of deep prayer, God revealed to me that I should get a divorce." Granted, that's just an extreme example to make my point. To me, it's less of a cop out and more of using God's name to justify their own desires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 11:19 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
Who wants to start? Go ahead, make my day.
Why do Christians seem so mean sometimes? Almost anywhere you go on the internet to Christian sites, people are insulting each other and hiding behind God's name to do so. Even in the real world, people at church aren't truly welcoming. They gossip and judge. Instead of acknowledging that they are sinners (we're all sinners, right?), they uphold themselves as being good Christians. Whatever happened to living the life of Jesus? Jesus wouldn't behave as most "good" Christians behave.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:29 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,910,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Why do Christians seem so mean sometimes? Almost anywhere you go on the internet to Christian sites, people are insulting each other and hiding behind God's name to do so. Even in the real world, people at church aren't truly welcoming. They gossip and judge. Instead of acknowledging that they are sinners (we're all sinners, right?), they uphold themselves as being good Christians. Whatever happened to living the life of Jesus? Jesus wouldn't behave as most "good" Christians behave.
Personally...my theory is that it's a USA thing...we are so self centered that we rarely struggle to the point of needing to be on our knees before the Lord very often. So we loose sight of who is really the Provider of our needs.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:34 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,251,500 times
Jazzedforhim,

Thank you for your respond.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:41 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,251,500 times
I really do believe that if one tries to model his or her life like Jesus Christ lived, that person would be a great example in how to live. Anyone who reads or has read his works can read the compassion, knowledge, and love that he portrays. One thing that I would like more christians display is ACCEPTANCE. I do not agree with the envelope situation in church. I've seen church member be treated different or given preference because they CONTRIBUTE more to the church. This is not the case in all churches, but boy does it occur. There are more unethical examples that I've heard or witness, but I won't go there now.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:16 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,008,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
Well, this is a human-beings-only thread. If you have any questions that you have always thought about, but never asked... here is your chance!

And PLEASE, no animal noises, thumbing of noses, nostril flaring, or otherwise rude and insensitive comments to our four legged brothers, our winged ones, or our creepy crawly insect family here on Mother Earth.

Who wants to start? Go ahead, make my day.

P.S. As I am not the only human being on this forum, maybe some of the other human beings can pitch in and help me answer some of the queries.
Redbird, you are too cool! And funny too!

Hmmmm, let me see....I know I have to have a question in me.....I'm thinking..

What do YOU think Heaven is going to be like?

Old 08-18-2007, 06:20 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,788,454 times
Good Morning,

Fellow human being here. I am so disappointed that you all went to bed. This is a fun thread and I am enjoying the responses. Don't you all realize that you are to stay up really, really, really late, so that when I get up really, really, really early, I have something to read? (hey, guess what? that was a question.) I'll try to think of something more intellectual later, but for now, I'm sticking with that one.

May God bless us all.

Weather...

Old 08-18-2007, 06:30 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,815 times
Im only up because i have to work today...and its Sat...okay done whining...and no..I dont need any cheese with my whine..lol thank you..my question....if pete and repete sat on a log..and pete fell off...whos left??

Old 08-18-2007, 06:55 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
I have heard it said that in the United Kingdom, God said, "Thou shall drive on the left side of the street."

If God really does walk with some of those that claim his presence, then, I am fairly sure that He will never walk with me. Their actions and how they treat those around them, leave me with no desire for him.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:04 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Mean human beings suck! Sorry.

Let us not be too quick to judge here. Obviously, the reason one person is being mean could depend on who he is being mean to and the history between those two.

Also, one cannot generalise about behavior. If by "mean" you are referring to condescending or just cold and indifferent, then that mean person has issues which we cannot solve for them. Maybe they are trying to feel better about themselves by treating others like scum.

I personally remind myself no one enters church without sin. So, I generally keep my eye on the prize (that man on the cross) and pretty much keep to myself. Thankfully, I am big, fat and ugly as sin, so no one rushes over to shake my hand. Children cower behind their mommies when I walk out.

You shall have your reward and they will have theirs (which may be feeling good about themselves). I know first hand what you are speaking of, it's sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality