Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 11:17 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,661,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
It's all about reading in-between the lines and being familiar with subtext.
In other words, it's about listening to atheists and then making up what you want to pretend we said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 01:34 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,689,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
In other words, it's about listening to atheists and then making up what you want to pretend we said.

...exactly the same way some interpret the 'holy' books.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:44 PM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
raison_d'etre... bring it
Several of us have "brought it' where are you?

Old 10-02-2011, 05:10 PM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Do I hear crickets?

Old 10-02-2011, 06:14 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,824,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Ok, come on... lets get real here. These guys obviously don't support the 1st amendment. They obviously want to banish religion from this world. They want to steal the imagination on the world and replace it with cold, hard, depressing facts. If this movement is allowed to complete what it has set out to do, they will steal the stories and fairytale from our youth along with the religions of the world.

Does your kid dream of far off lands, fighting dragons, saving princesses, and dueling with wizards? Bash those dreams, kill their imagination, don't allow creativity and imagination run wild in your children. They wish to replace emotions with so called logic. They believe in common sense as long as it matches their point of view.

This is the message these people are spreading. I will not allow this to happen. They want to bash and ridicule religion, spirituality, and even imagination. I will ridicule their so called reason and lack of proof as proof.

I only have one thing to say to those that are apart of this dream killing, imagination bashing, creativity killing group...

Bring It!
Ok, if you insist on using these Yahoos as examples of the "atheist agenda", you have to accept these people as true examples of Christian thought:

Pokemon are EVIL - YouTube

Harry Potter= EVIL - YouTube

Satanism Unmasked Dungeons & Dragons - YouTube

It sounds like Christianity has a bigger problem with fighting dragons, saving princess or generally having an imagination to me...

Old 10-02-2011, 07:01 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,895,483 times
Using one's imagination is fantastic and great. But, when one can no longer distinguish between fantasy and reality, that is when it becomes problematic.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:02 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,327,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
YOU will not allow it to happen? Where do you get the idea that atheists lack imagination anyway? Isaac Asimov, an atheist wrote more than 400 books, most of them science fiction. If you haven't read any of them, I assure you, that man had imagination....Believing in or not believing in things does not stifle creativity or imagination at all...You then go on and babble about emotions as if atheists don't have them...
I for one love fiction of all sorts, be it plausible or outright fantasy...The difference between you and I is that I do know the difference between what is plausible and what is not.
You have set this thread up expressly to bash atheists even though you have no idea what or how atheists think...
My turn to say bring it...
Not all atheists are like this. I just mean the New Atheism group and their propaganda. To them, emotions are illogical. To them fantasy is misleading. This is basically atheist fanaticism. I would compare them to the religious extremists out there.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
It's perhaps the last refuge of the theist - demonizing what it hates and doesn't want to understand.

It's the saddest thing - the very saddest thing - for someone like me when they have an exchange with a theist they like and respect and is hit with the vile and stupid lie that atheists want to eliminate all fantasy, emotion, love, beauty and wonder and replace it with soulless, coldly practical and emotionless bunch of robots.

You'd think that simply stating that we love all that stuff but don't allow it to sweep away reason would put that smear to bed (to mix metaphors rather) but it seems incredibly persistent and ingrained into theist thought. As much as the belief that theists live according to their religion when of course they live just the way secularists do.
I didn't mean all atheists, just the ones behind this movement.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Shame on them!! The audacity of some people wanting the world to accept facts, reason and logic rather than mythology and fiction. Off with their heads!
What you neglect to see is that without imagination, people like Einstein and Franklin, Tesla, Bell, and Edison would never have imagined their dreams and thus we would be without their inventions. They dared to dream, they though outside of the box. To harness electricity was that of fantasy, Einsteins theories would never have come to light if it wasn't for his imagination. What some of you atheist fail to see is that in order to have a logical mind you must have an imaginative mind as well. Did you know your precious science, reason, and logic came from myth? Where do you think Chemistry came from? Where do you think science came from?

Quote:
Fortunately most children grow out of that....unless they take up religion that is.
I hope more people don't give up on fiction and mythology, the healthiest mind is the one with more imagination.

Quote:
So you are going to do what you're always accusing atheist of doing to theists?
I am going to keep imagination alive, I am going to help kids and adults hold onto imagination throughout their lives.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:46 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,790,019 times
Default Still not understanding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Not all atheists are like this. I just mean the New Atheism group and their propaganda. To them, emotions are illogical. To them fantasy is misleading. This is basically atheist fanaticism. I would compare them to the religious extremists out there.
You still appear to be choosing to misrepresent the "New Atheists". In the interest of full disclosure, I have not read all of the authors that get lumped in this category, but the authors I have read do not appear to have ANY issue with imagination or creativity. They encourage these things as part of the human experience.

What they that issue with is when human fantasy, creativity, and imagination is treated as incontrovertible revealed truth that must be upheld at all costs. This is NOT encouraging human creativity and expression, but stifling it.

The "New Atheists" are not saying anything different than most of us non-theists. They are, however, not coddling the sensibilities of those who believe that their personal fantasy is above criticism. To be honest, after centuries of being demonized (often quite literally), told that we are immoral, incomplete, and not worthy of being treated as real human beings, is it any wonder some can get a bit strident?

NoCapo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality