U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 01:12 PM

258 posts, read 750,939 times

Advertisements

This question goes out to everyone no matter your religion or lack of one.
In your understanding;

What is death specifically?

What happens after one dies?

Who go to hell and why?

I will explain my own beliefs later.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 11:55 PM

743 posts, read 2,123,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseedreamin View Post
This question goes out to everyone no matter your religion or lack of one.
In your understanding;

What is death specifically?

What happens after one dies?

Who go to hell and why?

I will explain my own beliefs later.
Death is the physical state which is opposite of life. Physically, one's body dies, but spiritually, one's soul lives on for all of eternity.

I think what happens after one dies is to go to one of the below states:
1) heaven
2) hell
3) purgatory

I think hell is a choice. People are choosing where they want to be for all of eternity while on this earth. If you know God, love Him and seve Him and treat others as yourself, in this world, most likely you will want to do so in the next, and your actions here on earth will reflect that.

On the other hand, if you have no room or need for God in your life here on earth.....why in the world would you want to spend an eternity w/ Him in heaven?

Hell is reserved for those (I belive):
1) who are evil
2) who knowingly refuse to honor and serve God; who say no to God

I belive God gives all ample time and opportunity to come to Him (even on one's "death bed") and that His Divine Mercy will be given to all.

Just my thoughts, since no one else has responded.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:58 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,134,882 times
Hmm, good question. Hell is being away from God so inturn being away from God means being dead. I belive that only the truely evil go to hell, and that is up to God to decide.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:33 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,863,417 times
Death is when your physical and biological functions come to a full stop. Then the decomposing process begins.

Hell to an atheist like me does not exist apart from the one we create for ourselves and others on Earth.
You are born, you live, you die. Period. So make your life count, make it a good one and enjoy it.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:00 AM

52,842 posts, read 31,142,547 times
If you want answers to your questions, look at people, who had a "near death" experience, but were revived and shared their experience of what they saw. Those were people that were pronounced dead, and were in such a state for a period that ranged from 5 to 20 minutes. Those who are faithful said it was the most wonderful experience because they felt the peace and the presence of the Lord, an experience that is beyond description. They also recounted that something or a voice told them that it wasn't their time.

Those who were not among the faithful, said it was most horrible experience they've ever felt, and made them change their perspective on God because they couldn't imagine being in a state of torment and suffering for eternity.

Of course the answers to your questions will also be found in God's word. The people who had a near death experience will confirm what God told us about where our eternal destination will be after we die.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:51 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,274,868 times
Well, you asked the question, and my personal beliefs are not of the "PC" variety.

I believe the Bible to be true when it says that the only way to the Father (heaven) is through the Son (Jesus). The Bible says that the road is narrow and few will find it. I believe that the ones to make it to heaven will not depend on denomination or minute doctrinal differences, but on one thing only. Did they surrender their life to Christ? If not, I don't believe they will be in Heaven.

Not trying to start an argument, just stating my beliefs as requested by the OP.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:53 AM

7,780 posts, read 13,943,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
Well, you asked the question, and my personal beliefs are not of the "PC" variety.

I believe the Bible to be true when it says that the only way to the Father (heaven) is through the Son (Jesus). The Bible says that the road is narrow and few will find it. I believe that the ones to make it to heaven will not depend on denomination or minute doctrinal differences, but on one thing only. Did they surrender their life to Christ? If not, I don't believe they will be in Heaven.

Not trying to start an argument, just stating my beliefs as requested by the OP.
Agree.

If we can make "PC" = "Professing Christian", your beliefs are VERY "PC"

Old 08-27-2007, 11:57 AM

8,669 posts, read 20,973,683 times
Default same here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Agree.

PC here too!

Old 08-27-2007, 12:01 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,274,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Agree.

Professing Christian.....I like it!

Old 08-27-2007, 04:13 PM

134 posts, read 352,302 times
Thumbs up Someone after my own heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post

Agree very much so
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality