Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 03:21 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,862,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Thank you very much for posting this thread.
In such a society as ours, priding ourselves on pluralism, I have heard so little from Hindus, who seem to keep to themselves.
I am happy to read your comments.

I have some thoughts, and would appreciate your comments if you so choose.

Some Christians say we are living in the 'end times'. There are prophecies in the Bible about the end of this age, after which there will be darkness and evil will reign, after which Christ is supposed to come again. I think I have that right. Part of the prophecy says the Jews will return to Israel during, or perhaps before, this 'end' time.

The Mayan calendar ends at the year 2012 and some say there will be a great change coming about in that time.

The Jews are expecting the Messiah. I believe the Orthodox teaching is that only AFTER the Messiah comes will Israel return to the Jews, and it will be in great love and rejoicing in the world, and not the wars and destruction that is happening now.

The Buddhists, I think, await the Maitraya. I probably spelled that wrong, and I think this may not be a belief of all Buddhists.

The Hindus, to my limited understanding, have 4 great ages, called Yugas. They start with an age of great love, joy, knowledge and enlightenment, and end in one of darkness and destruction. We are supposed to be in the last, the Kali Yuga.

Please correct me if I got any of that wrong.
I am wondering about the timing - are we at the end of this Kali Yuga now?

Does the purpose of these great ages have to do with huge waves of souls which incarnate on this planet for learning purposes, and then await a period in which they/we all leave together?

I have been told that Hinduism is a culture, a way of life, and that a person cannot 'convert' or become a member. One must be reared in the culture to be part of it.

To me, Hinduism, and the other religion that started in India, Buddhism, seem to have a lot of spiritual truths behind their teachings, and not simply dogma.

I am so glad to see you post here.
Namaste and Thanks for your kind words.

Yes, Hinduism is both a culture and a religion but the term Hinduism refers to a broad group of sects which are every bit as diverse as those you find in Christianity. Yes, one can convert and become a Hindu but since we do not normally proseletyze, some think it is not possible. In some sects (the Saivite for example) a formal conversion process takes place, leading to conversion through the namakarana samskara (the same sacrament in which a newborn receives his/her name). In other sects, one simply learns about and subscribes to the belief system and declares themselves a Hindu. Only the more conservative Smartas in India do not welcome conversions from non-Indians (ironic since reincarnartion does not follow ethnic lines).

While most claim that we are living in the Kali Yuga (the last stage of the world before the cycle starts all over again), I'm not so sure that we aren't still in the Dvapara Yuga.

In the Dvapara Yuga, science flourishes, people experience the spiritual in terms of subtle energies and rational choices, inventions are abundant, particularly those that dissolve the illusion of distance (between people and between things), and much power is in the hands of women. The end of this age (in the descending phase) is associated with the death of Krishna, and the events described in the Mahabharata. Since each age is 432,000 years, we could still be in the descent since Krishna's death may have been only 3000 years ago and its hard to say women have had their shot at power yet - but they are getting it in many countries already.

The Kali Yuga probably sounds much like the end of days as descibed in the scriptures of other religions. In our case, it is found in the Mahabharata. During this age, rulers will become unreasonable, levying taxes unfairly and no longer seeing it as their duty to promote spirituality or to protect their subjects. People will start migrating seeking countries where wheat and barley form the staple food source.

Avarice and wrath will be common, men will openly display animosity towards each other. Ignorance of Dharma (morale duty) will occur. Lust will be viewed as being socially acceptable. People will have thoughts of murder for no justification, etc.

People will be inclined to follow false sciences. Family murders will also occur. People will see those who are helpless as easy targets and remove everything from them.

Many other unwanted changes will occur. The right hand will deceive the left and the left the right. Men with false reputation of learning will teach the Truth and the old will betray the senselessness of the young, and the young will betray the caring of the old. Cowards will have the reputation of bravery and the brave will be enervated cowards. People will not trust a single person in the world, not even their immediate family. Even husband and wife will find contempt in each other.

It is believed that sin will increase exponentially, whilst virtue will fade and cease to flourish. People will take vows only to break them soon.

Alongside death and famine being everywhere, men will have lustful thoughts and so will women. People will without reason destroy trees and gardens. As previously mentioned, men will murder. There will be no respect for animals, and also meat eating will start. People will become addicted to intoxicating drinks. Men will find their jobs stressful and will go to retreats to escape their work.

Gurus will no longer be respected and their students will attempt to injure them. Their teachings will be insulted and followers of Kama will wrest control of the mind from all humans.

-As you can see, some of these aspects exist today while others are not yet so bad. While I find it somewhat interesting the understand the age in which we live, I'm more focused on living correctly and loving others during my own journey.

Om shanti.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 09:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,307 times
Hi-
I am writing because I recently had a dream where Ganesha appeared to me and told me not to have an abortion. The dream was very real and very scary. I woke up shaking. I didn't even know at the time I was pregnant! I also was not familiar with this god prior to the dream. I am inclined to think this was a direct order that I had best follow, even though I am not in the best situation to have a baby right now. I should add that shortly thereafter I found a huge painting of Ganesha at a yard sale in my neighborhood, which is highly unusual given where I live (a white American suburb). What would a Hindu do in my situation? What should a non-Hindu make of having such an experience?
Thanks

Old 10-02-2007, 10:40 AM

Fascinating story. Hindus do not believe in abortion since it violates the law of ahimsa (non-harming). The karmic damage of abortion is huge.

Ganesha (son of Shiva) is not a God but a revered spirit. Hinduism is not big on Gods handing down orders, etc. Thus, even if you dreamt that he ordered you not to have an abortion, your free will remains in effect. Perhaps his visit (and finding a Ganesha icon so soon thereafter) were a sign from him that you need to think carefully and weigh the consequences to your soul before proceeding. He may also be calling you to investigate the Sanatana Dharma since he is the lord of beginnings (and one known to reach out to spiritually lost souls).

Old 10-02-2007, 11:24 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
Quote:
Ahimsa (non injury) is a core belief in most Hindu sects so this usually also applies to not eating meat since it harms animals. Temple priests are usually strict vegetarians and you'll seldom ever (if never) see meat served at a Hindu temple (or a Sikh Gurudwara).

On the other hand, there are some exceptions (though there is considerable debate about the exceptions). Soldiers and law-enforcement officers (as Kshyatrias of the warrior varna) are generally not vegetarians, because they must keep alive their aggressive forces in order to perform their duties.
I was once in a Hindu religion, and I just want to say that the swamis and gurus ate lamb and chicken. It was served at our meals. I was a bit taken back by this but knew to say nothing, because then I would be told that I was judging others.

I once listened to a swami argue that eating meat was no different than eating a grain of rice, as if the grain of rice had feelings and experienced pain. This conversationn occured because one woman who came to the meeting complained about the eating of meat. She was told to not judge others.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:51 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
HINDU MANNERS (http://www.mypurohith.com/Epics/Hindu_Manners.asp - broken link)

Quote:
BELIEF: Belief is a conviction that a particular thing is true. It is the belief in the existence of an unseen power; the belief in Nemesis, the Goddess of Vengeance; the belief in the existence of hell and heaven and the belief in the immortality of soul.

The belief in the existence of an unseen power leads a man to right action (Karma) because he believes that his actions are being watched by an unseen power. The belief in reincarnation keeps the man away from wrongful acts because he believes that in order to have a good birth in next life, he must do good acts in this life. The belief in Nemesis also regulates man’s behaviour because he believes that he will be punished for his sins, here and now. The fourth belief in the existence of hell and heaven influences a man to virtuous acts and avoid sins in order to go to heaven or avoid going to hell after death. Heaven is a place full of luxuries, fairies and romance. Hell is a place of terror, miseries and torture. The last belief in the immortality of the soul leads a man to avoid such actions as will cause pain to the souls of the deceased ancestors. Beliefs are powerful influences on human actions. They are vital for human relations. Beliefs may be true or false. They may be founded on factual or faulty evidence, but the question of their validity does not necessarily determine their effectiveness as social/ self controls. We act with as much determination from false beliefs as from factually sound ones. Social suggestions (life examples of great men) or ideologies (Fascism, Leninism, etc.) are social control methods for the society as a group, but for the individual, some other means are:
Tales of the Afterlife in Mythology -- Eastern Hemisphere

Quote:
The early Indians did not believe in reincarnation. Souls went to a world of bliss shared with the Gods if they were good, and to punishment in Hell if they were evil. This was a fusion of Aryan, non-Aryan and Sumerian influences.

The Veda set down the belief in rebirth and transmigration, the idea that souls may be reborn in the body of other animals. The reason for rebirth is one facet of] the law of Karma -- that a soul must keep returning to mortal existence until it has learned all the lessons of spiritual evolution.
Article on heaven and hell in the Rig Veda, etc:

Highway To Heaven - Hindu Description of Heaven and Hell

When I was in the Ramakrishna Order I asked one of the swamis about hell, and he said that it was true, there is one. I was shocked. It was as if they had hidden this from me all along, and I just had to ask the right question.

Now, lets say that maybe "hell" is on earth. If you are reborn into a bad life. If you really have bad karma your life on earth can be a hell. For example, you can die in a fire, and then be reborn and die in a fire again.

Or as they so said in Ramakrishna Order you could be reborn as an insect. Now how can that be so bad? Many on this earth have a worse life than most animals and insects.

Then I was in Buddhism for a while, and it is really no different. They have hellish realms, and some say that this is just that you are reborn into a bad life on earth, others say that there is a heaven and a hell in another realm after death.

I began to see that the only difference is that in Christianity you go to hell and burn forever, in Hinduism and Buddhism you are there only until your bad karma burns up, and then you get a better life. But in unless you become fully liberated you will continue to be in these realms of heaven and hell, depending upon your actions.

So as in all religions each sect has its own beliefs.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 10-02-2007 at 12:25 PM..

Old 10-02-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
I was once in a Hindu religion, and I just want to say that the swamis and gurus ate lamb and chicken. It was served at our meals. I was a bit taken back by this but knew to say nothing, because then I would be told that I was judging others.

I once listened to a swami argue that eating meat was no different than eating a grain of rice, as if the grain of rice had feelings and experienced pain. This conversationn occured because one woman who came to the meeting complained about the eating of meat. She was told to not judge others.
As I've been saying all along, there are many sects of the Sanatana Dharma with different interpretations of ahimsa. It cannot be said that one dogma applies to all of Hinduism.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:45 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem1222 View Post
Hi-
I am writing because I recently had a dream where Ganesha appeared to me and told me not to have an abortion. The dream was very real and very scary. I woke up shaking. I didn't even know at the time I was pregnant! I also was not familiar with this god prior to the dream. I am inclined to think this was a direct order that I had best follow, even though I am not in the best situation to have a baby right now. I should add that shortly thereafter I found a huge painting of Ganesha at a yard sale in my neighborhood, which is highly unusual given where I live (a white American suburb). What would a Hindu do in my situation? What should a non-Hindu make of having such an experience?
Thanks
I don't think I can contribute much to this, but Ganesha is not a part of a religion that I've had experience with and once, when I was dreadfully ill and delerious and thinking I was about to die, I saw Ganesha, who just looked at me and then started dancing. I looked him up and he is assoiciated with dance and giving hope to lost causes. In my state of mind at the time I had given up and Ganesha made me laugh and I started improving after that.

I agree that we should live not judging the actions of others. Neither should we judge ourselves, if we have to decide between two bad choices. We are not breeding farm animals and when man has had a chance to determine his own destiny, apart from the vagaries of nature, he has never been fearful of making the decision.

Modern society is not well equipped to help all of the unwanted children in the world, nor can it heal the broken careers and lives that result from unwanted pregnancies. To me, rearing a child would be an unwanted chore. Not every woman is psychologically constituted to rear children just because she can bear them. You might blame the kid later on for opportunities missed in your life. Sure, we should all strive to correct our weaknesses in life. We should also be introspective enough to know our personal limitations.

Children from disfunctional families have become President, but they have also become mass murderers.

Most religious dictums stem from simpler times, in agrarian communities in which it did not require much to rear a child and when they grew up they were unpaid hands to help on the farm. Also, in such times, perhaps women died from abortions more than from childbirth.

The Dali Llama is a meat eater, and so was Yogananda.

The pronouncements of religion, to me, are guidlines.
When making a moral decision I like to ask myself what impact it would have on society if others made my decision, one way and then another.

There are many anti abortion thoughts on the 'bad' things that result in having an abortion. I don't agree with any of it.

There is a heck of a lot on the other side that is negative about having a kid that is unwanted, too.

Whatever you decide, picture yourself a few years from now, looking back. Make sure you, personally will have no regrets and can stand by the decision you make now.

Last edited by goldengrain; 10-02-2007 at 04:10 PM..

Old 10-02-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
As I've been saying all along, there are many sects of the Sanatana Dharma with different interpretations of ahimsa. It cannot be said that one dogma applies to all of Hinduism.
This is what is so stunning to so many who come from faiths based on the Old Testiment upon their first confrontation with eastern religions - there seems to be room for real people in Hinduism and its child, Buddhism.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
This is what is so stunning to so many who come from faiths based on the Old Testiment upon their first confrontation with eastern religions - there seems to be room for real people in Hinduism and its child, Buddhism.
True, but I think it also depends on whether the questioning person is primarily religious, or spiritual. The latter seem to understand it easier than the former. I agree that there is plenty of room under Hinduism's (and Buddhism's) big tent.

Om shanti

Old 10-04-2007, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
True, but I think it also depends on whether the questioning person is primarily religious, or spiritual. The latter seem to understand it easier than the former. I agree that there is plenty of room under Hinduism's (and Buddhism's) big tent.

Om shanti
And, although they are older religions, these do not seem to be so easily at odds with science. In fact, elements of Hinduism seem to bolster certain newer concepts that are tossed about these days.

Just my own opinion, so please do not take this as a personal criticism, but there are fundamental concepts in the majority religion in my area that I find very difficult to swallow. People tell me they 'compartmentalize', believing in these things when it is convenient, but otherwise going about their lives ignoring them.

But I do not see humanity as cattle, mulling about the planet's surface, picking and choosing expediant religious ideas and mindlessly mouthing platitudes. I sort of see 'us' as being part of a deeper reality, something that our physical being and short-termed consciousness 'pops' out of, and then retreats back into, from time to time.

The real nature of that reality is significant. Both religion and science should be proper ways of exploring it. As such, religion, at least from this viewpoint, should be an adventure, a part of our daily life, and not something religated only to the old and ill, in their fear of death.

But sometimes there is little recourse for those with a religious inclination in the west than our traditional establishments, and adherents are put in the position to just mouth acceptance of concepts that they do not agree with, or because they dislike being hypocrates, brainwash themselves into thinking they believe such peculiarities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality