Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 06:19 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,042,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, from a Christian perspective this is remarkably alien to the teachings of Christ, Who dared to consort with lepers, tax collectors, and prostitutes. Heck, one of the most moving parables He taught was that of the Good Samaritan, who were considered to be vile and unspeakable people by righteous Jews of the period. That's because the message of Christ was that there is value in all people, and that to shun them is to demonstrate a decided lack of humility.

I wonder what the Disciple's families thought when they just got up one day and left with Jesus, considering his comments on "hating" one's family.

"Mommy...where is daddy?"
"Oh - he's following another Messiah, dear. He'll be back a little after Passover, as usual..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 525 times
When Religion is about ownership, "We own this Religious Group," and you join, you are joining the group, and groups have unique rules. They claim to take them all from the Bible, But they are not all from the Bible, personal ideas and feelings are included. Sometimes, even mysticism or magic and miracles. If you can't go along with these beliefs, you won't be happy. It's like believing in love, charity and goods works, as well as abstinence, and marriage, and non-violence, read the bible, (our Bible) Worship and pray to the "Python God." We'll all agree that everything else was good here, but the last part. Your beliefs must be a personal conviction, and your fellowship must not be a joining, but a communing with others who allow free will. Churches who don't allow free will, or free thought, are dictating salvation, they give and they take away your free will and your faith. Your belief and morality should not be painful choices. There are parents who make child rearing a painful experience for the child in their home also, so that they wish for other parents. I know I did, and I was a good obedient child. To this day I am shunned by relatives in a Protestant/Christian religion, one as main stream as you can get, Oh, yeah, they practice it to, all because I want free will.

Old 07-11-2014, 04:13 PM

5 posts, read 5,217 times
I have lived in Central Arkansas for 7 years and have been shunned the whole time! My husband decided we would retire here and I have tried to tolerate the area because I have no choice! I have been told I'm not a Christian unless I get saved and go to church! I have been told that Jesus was a Republican and that if I don't change my political beliefs I will go to hell! Today I made a joke and the lady said that she wouldn't listen to me because any thing you say against a man is unholy! I've watched the people here and they never say anything negative about there spouses till they divorce them! The divorce rate is like 70 percent!

Old 07-11-2014, 06:24 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
Well, to be fair - that's what any brain-washing group can do to you. It's not just limited to religion.
It certainly does crop up in the more extreme sects, though!
Heh, very true.

I fell afoul of a corporate cult - in this case, Burger King. It was a small town Burger King so there wasn't as much turn-over of employees, and they were all strangly insular with each other. Even outside of work, they clung to each other as if they were the only people on the planet and usually shunned everyone else.

I even asked one of them out once and I was told point blank that he only dated people who worked at the local BK. It was downright spooky and I think the manager at this particular restaurant operated his business like a cult - or it could have been the franchise owner doing it, I'm not sure. I refused to eat there after awhile because I always felt like I was violating a church when I went in there.

A grocery store in a neighboring town had the same issues - and I know because I worked there for a time and was directly exposed to corporate cultism. They truly expected you to live your life for the store, to treat it as if you owned the place. I remember when one lady finally went on vacation for a week. But the next day, she ended up back in the store stocking the shelves, off the clock, because ALL of her friends were at the store and she felt guilty for vacationing. Unfortunately, the bar was set so high for loyalty that even being caught shopping in another store on your own time could get you reprimanded or even fired. Uh, no thanks.

Another example of corporate cultism occurs with a fly-by-night perfume company that hires new immigrants, people who are just out of high school, those with long-term unemployment, felons and sexual predators, and anyone else who might be having problems finding a job. Now, I could write a post all by itself about my brief but telling experiences with these people - but from what I understand, this company (I can't name them because they change names all the time) has turned kids against their families in order to "commit" them to the job. After all, if you burn your bridges, the only place you have left is the job and the people in it.

Anyway, I wanted to make the point that some businesses operate like a cult, as well, and they practice the concept of shunning. Religion is only one facet of the topic, though I suppose it's the most relevant aspect given the purpose of this forum.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:10 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,527,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeyProud View Post
I have lived in Central Arkansas for 7 years and have been shunned the whole time! My husband decided we would retire here and I have tried to tolerate the area because I have no choice! I have been told I'm not a Christian unless I get saved and go to church! I have been told that Jesus was a Republican and that if I don't change my political beliefs I will go to hell! Today I made a joke and the lady said that she wouldn't listen to me because any thing you say against a man is unholy! I've watched the people here and they never say anything negative about there spouses till they divorce them! The divorce rate is like 70 percent!
I'm glad you brought this up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality