Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 09:31 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,073,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
OK, but help me understand this. Suppose a Christian who does think homosexuality is a sin, has a child announce that they are gay. Why can't they continue to keep their beliefs that their child is sinning, and at the same time NOT shun their child.

Some posters seem to think that if the parent thinks their child is openly sinning, they must shun them. Can't they not change their beliefs, and still not shun?

It seems to me Jesus hung out with publicans and sinners, and did not shun them. And for that it was the Pharisees who condemned him for that. Do Christians really want to be more like the Pharisees than follow the example Jesus set?
Quote:
I am bumping this post because no one responded to it and I want to know.
Some people may not like this reply. But the fact is Jesus(as) was not a "Christian" and did not act like some Christians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 10:09 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,771,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
True, being gay is not sinful, but acting upon it is (at least to most Christians).
Most Christians are also rather clueless on this issue and cherry pick/quote mine the Bible to support their hatred.

Quote:
However, your last statement I would say I totally disagree with.
Sexual orientation was not discovered until the 19th century? Say what? Maybe it wasn't labeled until then, but sexual orientation has been around since the beginning of time. There have always been heterosexuals and homosexuals and bisexuals, and what have you.

The concept of being gay has been in the bible since it was written, which is a lot older than the 19th century.

Where in the world did you get this idea from?
The concept of being gay is not in the Bible. How, pray tell, before modern science and brain studies did anyone realize that people had the biological predisposition to be attracted exclusively to members of the same-sex? I mean, I'm sure gay people would have known they were only attracted to the same-sex, but it's not like that idea would spread very far and since gays would have been just as uncommon as they are now, most people would have no concept of such a thing.

Most men in ancient times who slept with other men or engaged in pederasty were also married to women (Greeks/Romans for example).

Old 12-06-2011, 10:15 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,771,287 times
Quote:
Well, it depends on what you mean by "shun". Not all parents will kick their gay children out of the house, but all of them will believe their child is risking their eternal soul and facing an eternity in Hell unless they repent of being gay, or make sure to remain celibate for the rest of their life.

But to me, that's still shunning. Either way, they are condemning their child for something the child has no control over, and the parents are deeply ignorant about.

A good example of this is that military guy on youtube who just came out to his parents over the phone while stationed overseas. His mom is an ultra conservative, and kept quoting the Bible while not even knowing where the verse she was quoting came from, and telling him he's going to hell if he remains gay.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:40 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
//www.city-data.com/forum/21999336-post1.html

Old 12-07-2011, 04:11 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,185 times
[quote][/Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt
OK, but help me understand this. Suppose a Christian who does think homosexuality is a sin, has a child announce that they are gay. Why can't they continue to keep their beliefs that their child is sinning, and at the same time NOT shun their child.

Some posters seem to think that if the parent thinks their child is openly sinning, they must shun them. Can't they not change their beliefs, and still not shun?

It seems to me Jesus hung out with publicans and sinners, and did not shun them. And for that it was the Pharisees who condemned him for that. Do Christians really want to be more like the Pharisees than follow the example Jesus set?

QUOTE]

Some is the key word here, and thank you for using it. SOME Christians do believe it's a forgivable sin, and therefore they do NOT shun their gay, lesbian and bisexual members. To some Christians, the hope is that they will change their ways and repent.

SOME gay and lesbian people remain close to their Christian roots despite the knowledge that many of that religion are against it.

And yes, I know this first hand.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:18 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Well, it depends on what you mean by "shun". Not all parents will kick their gay children out of the house, but all of them will believe their child is risking their eternal soul and facing an eternity in Hell unless they repent of being gay, or make sure to remain celibate for the rest of their life.

But to me, that's still shunning. Either way, they are condemning their child for something the child has no control over, and the parents are deeply ignorant about.

A good example of this is that military guy on youtube who just came out to his parents over the phone while stationed overseas. His mom is an ultra conservative, and kept quoting the Bible while not even knowing where the verse she was quoting came from, and telling him he's going to hell if he remains gay.

...and here is where I begin to question the Christian religion and why I teeter totter back and forth as to whether or not I can call myself a Christian, and one of the questions that I ponder.

1- That shalt not lie.

But if you are gay and repressing that about yourself in order to stay Christian, are you not lying about who you are?

I know the Christian answer is probably "it's okay to feel like your gay as long as you don't act on it", but that doesn't fly with me. To me, it's still lying about who you are...

So, for those of you who may think I'm completely on the ant-gay Christian train. Perhaps you've jumped to some incorrect conclusions. It happens. I've been guilty of it myself.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:22 AM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
...and here is where I begin to question the Christian religion and why I teeter totter back and forth as to whether or not I can call myself a Christian, and one of the questions that I ponder.

1- That shalt not lie.

But if you are gay and repressing that about yourself in order to stay Christian, are you not lying about who you are?

I know the Christian answer is probably "it's okay to feel like your gay as long as you don't act on it", but that doesn't fly with me. To me, it's still lying about who you are...

So, for those of you who may think I'm completely on the ant-gay Christian train. Perhaps you've jumped to some incorrect conclusions. It happens. I've been guilty of it myself.
Mistakes can happen, especially if you have Autocorrect on your cell phone...

Damn You Auto Correct! - Funny iPhone Fails and Autocorrect Horror Stories

Old 12-07-2011, 06:00 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,714,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
Somebody, please explain this "orphaned" thing and moderator cut to me. If I did something that caused me to be edited, I'd like to know what it was so I can avoid doing it again.
In case you didn't get an answer, it means you responded to something which was later edited by the mods. In the clean up, they sometimes get rid of your response as well if it doesn't make sense without the context of the other deleted posts. You didn't do anything wrong.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:09 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,350,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Most Christians are also rather clueless on this issue and cherry pick/quote mine the Bible to support their hatred.

The concept of being gay is not in the Bible. How, pray tell, before modern science and brain studies did anyone realize that people had the biological predisposition to be attracted exclusively to members of the same-sex? I mean, I'm sure gay people would have known they were only attracted to the same-sex, but it's not like that idea would spread very far and since gays would have been just as uncommon as they are now, most people would have no concept of such a thing.

Most men in ancient times who slept with other men or engaged in pederasty were also married to women (Greeks/Romans for example).
You and I just disagree on this. I believe the concept of being gay is in the bible, and I do believe gays have acted upon their feelings since the beginning of time. I also disagree that gays are uncommon now.

Your very last statement, however, is even true today.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:15 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,350,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Some people may not like this reply. But the fact is Jesus(as) was not a "Christian" and did not act like some Christians.
Jesus wasn't a Christian, because the term means follower of Christ. I agree with this though, and even would have when I was a Christian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality