Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 10:52 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,378 times

Advertisements

It can be awful what some people do to others because they are so sure they are doing God's will.

Case in point: Some religious people will shun their own children if they announce that they are gay. Others will shun their children if they leave the family religion.

Let's talk about people shunning other people out of loyalty to their religious convictions. Have you been the victim of shunning? Have you shunned others? Obviously not all religious people shun or believe that God would ever want people to shun others, but what do you think of those who do believe God wants them to shun others; where do you think they get that idea from?

It seems to me, a religious person that does not believe in hell will not shun others out of religious conviction, because in order to shun out of religious conviction one must believe they are following the example of shunning God has set for them by condemning people to hell.

Who teaches religious people to shun? Where and how is it taught?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 11:01 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
It can be awful what some people do to others because they are so sure they are doing God's will.

Case in point: Some religious people will shun their own children if they announce that they are gay. Others will shun their children if they leave the family religion.

Let's talk about people shunning other people out of loyalty to their religious convictions. Have you been the victim of shunning? Have you shunned others? Obviously not all religious people shun or believe that God would ever want people to shun others, but what do you think of those who do believe God wants them to shun others; where do you think they get that idea from?

It seems to me, a religious person that does not believe in hell will not shun others out of religious conviction, because in order to shun out of religious conviction one must believe they are following the example of shunning God has set for them by condemning people to hell.

Who teaches religious people to shun? Where and how is it taught?
It is spelled CULT not religion. shunning is a very effective tool of cultism.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:13 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,735,418 times
I know the following verses were used to indoctrinate us about not mixing with non christians. I was taught you could only approach non believers to 'spread the word'.

NIV 2 Corinthians 6:14 Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? 15What harmony is there between Christ and Belialb? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? 16What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said: “I will live with them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people.”c
17“Therefore come out from them and be separate, says the Lord.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:48 AM

939 posts, read 1,024,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I know the following verses were used to indoctrinate us about not mixing with non christians. I was taught you could only approach non believers to 'spread the word'.

NIV 2 Corinthians 6:14 Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? 15What harmony is there between Christ and Belialb? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? 16What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said: “I will live with them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people.â€c
17“Therefore come out from them and be separate, says the Lord.
I would also add Matthew 18. Church discipline is the practice of disciplining other believers in the hopes of bringing them to repentance.

Would I shun my kid? Nah...I'd love on her. If she is telling me she's gay it's because she is obviously confused with life. But I certainly wouldn't tell her she's ok with it and that God approves.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:51 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,040 times
TG, if your kid is telling you she's gay, it's because she really is gay. Why do fundamentalist Christians always think gay people are "confused?" They're no more confused than straight people, they just have a different sexuality.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:56 AM

939 posts, read 1,024,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
TG, if your kid is telling you she's gay, it's because she really is gay. Why do fundamentalist Christians always think gay people are "confused?" They're no more confused than straight people, they just have a different sexuality.
I see an awful lot of young people who don't seem to really understand what they are. I've known young people that choose to go that route because of being upset at a parent or whatever. If she wants to practice immorality, fine...so be it--but I wouldn't be approving of it. I'd love on her, but I would be clear that she needs to confess her sin and repent.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:58 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,521,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
Shunning Others Due to Your Religious Beliefs
I have never shunned anyone due to my religious beliefs, but I have shunned others due to their religious beliefs, primarily they won't shut the hell up about it.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:01 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,767,854 times
I reserve the right to 'shun' anyone whose religion includes the belief that nonbelievers/outsiders are subhuman/fair game/evil/meant to be enslaved.... Why should I be tolerant of an intolerant religion?

Why should I not shun someone who shuns his own children because those children are Gay? Why should I not shun someone whose religion defines women as being less than Human?

So, Hell yeah I've done some religion-based shunning in my time!

Old 12-06-2011, 12:19 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,547,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post

Or they could be bisexual and then eventually end up with the opposite gender...which most Christians would probably forgive.
Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 12-06-2011 at 05:47 PM.. Reason: does not address the op

Old 12-06-2011, 12:24 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,547,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
I see an awful lot of young people who don't seem to really understand what they are. I've known young people that choose to go that route because of being upset at a parent or whatever. If she wants to practice immorality, fine...so be it--but I wouldn't be approving of it. I'd love on her, but I would be clear that she needs to confess her sin and repent.

TheoGeek,

I'm glad you would love her. Although I don't agree on the immorality, I understand that's your belief and your daughter, I'm sure already knows that you are a Christian and how you feel about things, so I am sure it would come as no to suprise to her how you feel.

I am wondering how persistent would you be in encouraging her to change her ways and repent?

I'm not here to attack whatever your answer is, and I hope nobody else does (although, I guess that's what happens in these forums sometimes), but I am genuinely curious, about the question I just asked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality