U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 05:59 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,890,800 times

Advertisements

I really wish I knew because I have had quite a few (let's call it 4-7) experiences where I've had a strong feeling to do something (it usually involves going somewhere) and it's almost like I 'hear' it from an outside source, like it's not me who's coming up with this. And it's VERY insistent. Like bothersome; sort of like a toddler pestering you to go somewhere "Cmon, cmon, let's go!!" And so I've listened to it (since it's so strong but most of the time makes absolutely NO sense at the time) and then something happens as a result that is EXTREMELY beneficial to me. And I can't explain where this comes from but it certainly doesn't feel like my own thoughts or ideas, because those just 'feel' different.

I would LOVE to find out where this comes from...I've thought:

Spirit guide
Guardian angel
Passed on relatives
God
Higher self

Who knows? Wish I did.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 06:14 AM

11,227 posts, read 12,849,542 times
It's not hard.

As we go through life we acquire all kinds of information. The information is so vast, and our brains are so complex, that we are not always conscious of all the information in our brains or of the internal thought patterns that are going on.

One excellent example of this, although recently disputed, is the discover by Kekule of the benzene ring, in which he reported that the idea came to him in a dream of a snake biting its tail.

Our brains have evolved to recognize patterns, and they may strike upon a pattern without our conscious awareness until it pops up, seemingly out of nowhere, and we call it ESP, a premonition, or intuition.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:24 AM

15,511 posts, read 15,191,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
It's not hard.

As we go through life we acquire all kinds of information. The information is so vast, and our brains are so complex, that we are not always conscious of all the information in our brains or of the internal thought patterns that are going on.

One excellent example of this, although recently disputed, is the discover by Kekule of the benzene ring, in which he reported that the idea came to him in a dream of a snake biting its tail.

Our brains have evolved to recognize patterns, and they may strike upon a pattern without our conscious awareness until it pops up, seemingly out of nowhere, and we call it ESP, a premonition, or intuition.
I do agree "pattern Recognition" probably explains the matjority of what we call intuition. But that does not rule out other possibilities.

I doubt if a single explanation explains every instance.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:35 AM

912 posts, read 775,940 times
Well there is perception and then the word intuition for all the fairs and playgrounds, tea totalers, and gabbing once the day time shows are over . ( opinion...and I know its not shared)

The reason why theres always a reason for everything....is because everything is too big to fit in one reason. Its similar to time. The present moment would be reason, and the past would be everything which consequence's the present moment . Draw two triangles and put reason at the top of one, all experience in the middle . The present moment at the top of the other triangle and the past in the middle. Shuffle both together... Add a sign that says Right Machine....and we have the human Brain.

Suggesting a connection with the future makes no sense. The mystery is in trying to connect the obvious dots but not being able to find them. They are there . Some are talented in perception because of the quality of
organization in the brain and nature of experience. Acute visual and emotional memory including sensitivity would prob be the ticket.

In fairness , I would think that even climate, social disposition of others re cause effect, mood, expectations, absolutely everything would be contributing to the so called out of the blue hunch or intuition. Especially the general state of emotion which is recognized to be possibly "prior" to an event in comparable and or multiple experience's in the past which concerned survival ( good or bad...threat or non threat , freedom, victory)

When I here about people who suggest they are gifted or intuitive, I avoid them like the plague...reason being , who wants to be judged by some quack that you don't even know. Perception I think is a better word for this idea. Full brain perception without being entirely able to join all the dots....but then, how hard or how able and willing are people who think they are special to try and join the dots.?...(intuitive..I'm not referring to perceptive)

People believe what they want for the most part....the human brain is interesting because the one experience always represents the moment but through the eye of all experiences. ...so experience really should be changing all the time...to a degree in some way, hopefully positive

Last edited by Blue Hue; 12-11-2011 at 09:05 AM..

Old 12-11-2011, 11:11 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,373,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hue View Post
Well there is perception and then the word intuition for all the fairs and playgrounds, tea totalers, and gabbing once the day time shows are over . ( opinion...and I know its not shared)

The reason why theres always a reason for everything....is because everything is too big to fit in one reason. Its similar to time. The present moment would be reason, and the past would be everything which consequence's the present moment . Draw two triangles and put reason at the top of one, all experience in the middle . The present moment at the top of the other triangle and the past in the middle. Shuffle both together... Add a sign that says Right Machine....and we have the human Brain.

Suggesting a connection with the future makes no sense. The mystery is in trying to connect the obvious dots but not being able to find them. They are there . Some are talented in perception because of the quality of
organization in the brain and nature of experience. Acute visual and emotional memory including sensitivity would prob be the ticket.

In fairness , I would think that even climate, social disposition of others re cause effect, mood, expectations, absolutely everything would be contributing to the so called out of the blue hunch or intuition. Especially the general state of emotion which is recognized to be possibly "prior" to an event in comparable and or multiple experience's in the past which concerned survival ( good or bad...threat or non threat , freedom, victory)

When I here about people who suggest they are gifted or intuitive, I avoid them like the plague...reason being , who wants to be judged by some quack that you don't even know. Perception I think is a better word for this idea. Full brain perception without being entirely able to join all the dots....but then, how hard or how able and willing are people who think they are special to try and join the dots.?...(intuitive..I'm not referring to perceptive)

People believe what they want for the most part....the human brain is interesting because the one experience always represents the moment but through the eye of all experiences. ...so experience really should be changing all the time...to a degree in some way, hopefully positive

I think that a lot of what is actually perception, could be what some people call intuition.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:26 PM

912 posts, read 775,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
I think that a lot of what is actually perception, could be what some people call intuition.
Its been a very long day...I'm not an expert by any means in this topic & I'm sure theres all kinds of word definitions, studies ect ect. Reading my post its obvious I don"t think theres a magical unknown going on....maybe a baby or slight survival orientated type of unusual and rare occurrence's but I don't believe any of the baloney we hear about unless it can be backed up , which never happens

The studies have no concrete data. Some testing is done flashing photos on a screen and the idea is some kind of body recording is made which is suggested to show...the participant was somehow anticipating a negative haunting picture or a pleasant picture.

Last edited by Blue Hue; 12-11-2011 at 05:30 PM..

Old 12-11-2011, 06:12 PM

16,308 posts, read 26,656,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
I don't think intuition (that gut feeling) can be explained. It's like faith that way.
Of course it can, it is pattern recognition by a very powerful processor, the human mind.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:20 AM

5,460 posts, read 6,309,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
It's not hard.

Also keep in mind that our brains are so good at finding patterns they can do it even when there's not really a pattern there. So intuition is a good starting point but it's not to be trusted blindly. There's a reason that we don't allow companies to sell drugs based on simple intuition that they'll work.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:02 AM

2,705 posts, read 2,869,451 times
Quote:
How do you explain intuition?
Physiologically, the stomach is our second brain. It is the anatomical source of our "gut feeling."

That's my hunch.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:58 AM

7,887 posts, read 9,518,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
How do you explain intuition?

Or what are your thoughts on it?
You are only aware of your conscious mind. By definition, all the stuff that goes on subconciously is stuff you just aren't aware of.

I don't think there is anything necessarily supernatural about it. We've got honking big brains with lots and lots more connections in our neural nets than most other animals, and a lot of what goes on in that neural net is subconcious.

A really cool thing to try is to make more of that subconcious stuff into conscious stuff. You can even do it without LSD if you try hard enough.

Anyway, an example. My wife is consistenly amazed at my ability to find things that are lost, like a TV remote in a cluttered room. It freaks her out that I can just walk around for a few second and seemingly magically detect whatever it is I am looking for, when she has spent hours looking in the same places and not finding it.

There's no trick to it. Based on a lot of stuff that I won't bore you with, including educational background, how we both use our brains differently all day long, and probably genetics, I'm just more observant that she is and better at pattern recognition.

Your subconcious is on 24/7 like a videotape recorder. It sees all (well, mostly) and most of it makes some kind of impression in your mind, even if you are not aware of that impression consciously. Subconciously I am processing all the data without really thinking about it. This means I (and I am nothing special) "remember" things that I didn't even notice that I knew in the first place - like where I "saw" (unconsciously) my daughter put the remote under the cushion out of the corner of my eye three hours ago. Consciously the event did not even register, but when I go looking for the remote, I find myself for reasons I don't even consciously know looking under that same cushion as the first place to look and bam, there it is. I may or may not remember seeing it being put there even after I find it.

My subconcious mind recognizes the outline of the object and detects it even before I consciously "see" it or remember where it is. To the outside observer, it looks like I magically walked over and found it with some kind of supernatural detection ability, when all that is really happening is subconcious pattern recognition or memory recall.

While it has never been true that "we only use 10% of our brains", it is true that we may only be consciously aware of some percentage of what our brains are doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality