Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 12:38 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,426 times

Advertisements

How do you explain intuition?

Or what are your thoughts on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 12:53 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
How do you explain intuition?

Or what are your thoughts on it?
I feel there is no one explanation. I can think of several and it is possible one, some, all or none of the explanations is correct. Some examples:

1. You have a person who has very frequent "feelings" that something happens. Just based on the number it should be expected that some of this feelings would correspond to an actual event that soon takes place. It would be less likely that these feelings were wrong 100% of the time.

2. I person has a strong sense, premonition something is going to happen. It happens. You can not rule out that this was just a coincidence.

3. An event happens and somebody recalls they had a recent dream that it would happen. Most often this will be a case of the person "Remembering" their dream in a manner that coincides with the event.

4. It is a genuine premonition with no explanation

Old 12-10-2011, 01:08 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
How do you define intuition?

I see it generally as pattern recognition.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:38 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,326,850 times
Well my intuition is an unction or feeling advising one thing over the other. I don't know if I would go so far to say it is Divine, but I suppose sometimes it could be.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:40 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
My intuition tells me you are trying to link this to some proof of gods existence.

Which as Shiloh1 said is merely pattern recognition.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:47 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
My intuition tells me you are trying to link this to some proof of gods existence.

Which as Shiloh1 said is merely pattern recognition.

Thanks for your reply.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:58 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times
Intuition is the gap between the conscious mind and the non conscious mind. It is also the gap between the rational mind and our animal instincts.

And here is a little article that is kind of interesting;

When intuition misfires

Old 12-10-2011, 01:58 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
How do you define intuition?
I see it generally as pattern recognition.
This is an interesting question because there are so many aspects to it that involve our holistic right brain processes . . . pattern recognition being only one. The truly intriguing aspects involve genuine creativity as distinguished from reconfigured or reactivated memory. We all seem to know the difference between things we have forgotten and things we never ever knew (or never ever could know). But since forgetting means not having any memory of it . . . the question is . . . HOW do you "know" it is something you never knew instead of something you have forgotten? What aspect of the "you" actively being experienced . . . (the only active neuronal circuits) . . . is doing the "knowing" and distinguishing? It cannot be the current consciously experienced "you" (the active neural circuits alone). Think on it and get back to me.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:00 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is an interesting question because there are so many aspects to it that involve our holistic right brain processes . . . pattern recognition being only one. The truly intriguing aspects involve genuine creativity as distinguished from reconfigured or reactivated memory. We all seem to know the difference between things we have forgotten and things we never ever knew (or never ever could know). But since forgetting means not having any memory of it . . . the question is . . . HOW do you "know" it is something you never knew instead of something you have forgotten? What aspect of the "you" actively being experienced . . . (the only active neuronal circuits) . . . is doing the "knowing" and distinguishing? It cannot be the current consciously experienced "you" (the active neural circuits alone). Think on it and get back to me.
Well, that's why I said 'generally' and depending on the definition. There are a lot of things that we recgonize as patterns that are subconscious either through are evolutionary history or our own experiences. In order to 'know' them, in a conscious way, we would have to know what they are and where they come from (this takes place through reason or other epistemological methods - science for example). I think our emotional/intuitive aspects are very deeply instantiated in our biology and experience. Reason only seeks to justify or explain our 'sense' of something that impresses upon us in an instance. Emotion and intutition are not only prior to reason they are primary. Of course both can lead us astray. But generally speaking they have evolved to give us a quick approximate assesment of the circumstances. Imagine if you had to use Reason and Calculus in order to hit a baseball - you would never hit the damn thing. I even driven to the wrong place thinking about something else - I started off aat the same point that leads to two different places - while thing about something else I subconsciously chose the wrong one that I was thinking about going to prior to think somethine else. Did all automatically. God must have driven the car for me

The short ansewr is then we may not know some things consciously just by thinking about it - it may take some trigger to bring it to the surface. How much genuine (I mean Unique) creativity is there really - most things are arrangments of already existing things or facts or even abstractions. Some of the patterns we operate on and with are part and parcel of the physical make-up of the world. Our brain structure, genes, chemistry, prior experience are all pushing from the bottom-up, below the conscious level, to influence and frame our thinking and actions. You cannot know anything that you never knew - you can only rearrange what has been known or instantiated in your neuronal networks. The latter may be triggered by something and inspiration may arise as to new arrangemnets but inspiration that comes from neither the environment or you - I think does not exist and the burden should be upon those that do.

Also, I am not so sure about this staement by you - 'But since forgetting means not having any memory of it' Forgetting and remembering are on the conscious level - memory is below that - in that it is patterened in a neuronal network.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:19 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
I think it is a feature of humanity (and probably other animals) that we sometimes don't pay enough attention to.

It can be honed with practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality