U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2007, 12:25 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,428,490 times

Advertisements

So can someone explain the unequally yoked thing again to me.

When my husband and I got married we were both Christians of different denominations and because I was Catholic we got what is called dispensation to marry...so according to the Catholic church I guess we were not unequally yoked. But what do other denominations mean, do they have as strict rules about which kind of Christian you are?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 12:34 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,352,292 times
When I asked my pastor (southern baptist) at the time, about this..he replied "Go to whichever denom church that yall are the strongest in, be it whatever kind of church you prefer, be it baptist, non denom, as long as they are preaching Christ".. I ve always considered unequally yoked a believer in Christ and a non-beleiver regardless of denom..IMHO

Old 08-30-2007, 12:36 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,211,774 times
I never thought of being "unequally yoked" as having anything to do with the marriage of 2 Christians, regardless of denomination. I always thought it applied to situations where a believer was joined to an unbeliever, period. If a Baptist and Catholic want to get married, I don't consider that being "unequally yoked" because both believe in Jesus as Lord and Savior. It's different, however, if you are a Catholic and you want to marry a Buddhist or Muslim. Or it you are a Christian business man and you want to partner up with an atheist or Hindu to start a business together. Those situations could create tension between the two parties.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:37 PM

258 posts, read 763,468 times
Most religions see other religions of 'Christian' denomination as the same flock. [But in reality they are divisions and in varying ways all believe different things. God's word says Christian's should be fitly united in the same line of thought, etc, and Christendom's religions are not united, regardless of some of there 'same' beliefs.] But in their thinking they are all Christians so most would not consider marrying another Christian faith as being unevenly yoked. Only churches which believe they are the only church offering truth (such as Catholics) would view marriages with people of other denominations as being unevenly yoked.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:43 PM

Catholics see other Christians as separated bretheren....not lost, just not Catholic.

For Catholics marriage is a sacrement. To make a sacrement you have to have made the ones before that. Kind of like pre-requisites in college.

So being a Non-Denom Christian he never received the sacrement of Confirmation and therefore we needed dispensation to receive the sacrement of marriage...dispensation isn't hard to get, even if you are marrying a non-Christian (although that is a bit more complicated) you have to agree to raise your children resulting from the marriage in the Catholic faith...which in turn makes the marriage acceptable because of the resulting Christian (Catholic) souls. Since then he has actually converted, his decision...but he was annoyed to have to request the dispensation in the first place.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:48 PM

So I'm a bit confused. Why are you asking about being unequally yoked?

Old 08-30-2007, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
So I'm a bit confused. Why are you asking about being unequally yoked?
Because I wanted to know how other denoms handled it.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Because I wanted to know how other denoms handled it.
Oh. Never mind. I thought you were asking what it meant.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
Oh. Never mind. I thought you were asking what it meant.
LOL...I've done that a time or two before, so no worries here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality