Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2011, 05:46 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,838,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
To this point it's been the standard process. We pose a question that the atheists/agnostics can't answer, and I get about 15 people who chime in with their silly distracting statements and insults. The original question gets lost because the scared little atheists don't answer it and instead just do personal attacks.

All I can say is: they can each only tell their own souls, or their own pains. ANd then of course the science is falsifiable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 05:48 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
A PhD in Divinity doesn't usually impress me much because I know so many of them are "honorary" doctorates which involved no study on the recipient's part at all.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:48 AM

939 posts, read 1,024,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgnostic View Post
All I can say is: they can each only tell their own souls, or their own pains. ANd then of course the science is falsifiable.

How can you falsify something like evolution or abiogenesis? They just make the statement that although we can't prove it....someday!!!!! someday we'll find out it's right!!!!!!!

Old 12-28-2011, 05:52 AM

Hmmm... you disagree with conventionalism, although, I think I disagreed as well. The truth is that I find that disagreeable to discover that science will solve nature for complexity as bad as it may get. Honestly.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:35 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Don't try to change the subject. Can you answer the question? Do you know when life began?
There you go again. You changed the question. Originally you thought you could trip somebody up by asking HOW life began. Now you want to know WHEN. What are you going to change it to next?

Old 12-28-2011, 06:45 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
..... But, in Healthcare, a person's belief system can make a difference in their plan of care. So, usually a priest, or pastor is included on a treatment team if a person requests this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
..... Yes, and we all know how that "plan of care" works out.....

Oregon Couple Sentenced to 18 months for "Faith Healing" Newborn Infant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I don't think Jasper is suggesting faith healing. More so a pastor is present for spiritual needs such as last rights, or talking the person through their illness from a religious perspective, while the doctors try and treat it.
jasper's post looked to me like a religious person was INCLUDED ON THE TEAM if the patient wanted it, not to be the source of healing. I wouldn't call "Faith Healing" health care, or ever refer to both in the same sentence under normal circumstances.

Fiyero, I'm assuming you meant last rites, which normally requires a Catholic priest.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
There you go again. You changed the question. Originally you thought you could trip somebody up by asking HOW life began. Now you want to know WHEN. What are you going to change it to next?
I'm sorry....accidental misstatement.

Let's go with the original. How did life begin? I'll be waiting.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:54 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
How can you falsify something like evolution or abiogenesis? They just make the statement that although we can't prove it....someday!!!!! someday we'll find out it's right!!!!!!!
I almost cannot believe you asked these questions. That you would even ask them proves that your knowledge of biology is woefully inadequate.

Evolution has been subjected to falsification, and has been proven valid, many many times.

Abiogenesis has not yet been directly reproduced. We know it is possible, but we just haven't found the right mix of conditions and materials yet - but we are closing in fast. If we did create artificial life, it would only prove that it was possible or perhaps even likely that abiogenesis occurred on Earth.

It would not necessarily rule out other possibilities, like panspermia.

Either way, your failure to grasp the science does not constitute problems with the science.

The problem is with you.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I almost cannot believe you asked these questions. That you would even ask them proves that your knowledge of biology is woefully inadequate.

Evolution has been subjected to falsification, and has been proven valid, many many times.
Whatever. Spare me the mocking act of surprise. We've all seen the hoaxes of "missing links". But for the sake of moving this along, there are plenty of threads on evolution we can take it to...let's talk origin of life.
Quote:
Abiogenesis has not yet been directly reproduced. We know it is possible, but we just haven't found the right mix of conditions and materials yet - but we are closing in fast. If we did create artificial life, it would only prove that it was possible or perhaps even likely that abiogenesis occurred on Earth.
No....we don't know it's possible. Scientists think it's possible because they have run experiments that kind of hint at it. The only other alternative is to believe in a creator. They aren't willing to do that.
Quote:
It would not necessarily rule out other possibilities, like panspermia.
Doesn't answer the question--only relocates the origin of life.
Quote:
Either way, your failure to grasp the science does not constitute problems with the science.

The problem is with you.
This is precisely the arrogant attitude I've referred to, and the complete lack of critical thinking. When I bring up the failures of abiogenesis to be proven...you point to panspermia...as if life originating on another planet somehow makes you a genius.

I'm still waiting for you to bring your answer.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:10 AM

Yeah man, religious institutions' discussions are about published communication of trust and distrust and good value. The people are thus reputably discovering the meaning of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality