Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2013, 11:15 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,866,413 times

Advertisements

The movie, the play and the music fits in perfect with the Lenten/Easter season.

Our church youth group just performed it Friday through Sunday.
There were several interesting things about this group of actors one being there were 15 girls and one boy ranging from eighth grade through senior year of high school.

The boy was a late comer to the show so guess what Jesus was no boy, that role was given to girl with long flowing blonde hair.
I imagine to some here this is a very blasphemous thing, but it actually worked out quite well.
As anyone knows that has seen this musical humor is a part of it.
In fact the boy played the role of a woman in one of the parables also got beat up by the girls in the parable of the good Samaritan.
What really surprised me was the acting ability and some of the singing voices which could give any of our church choirs a run for their money and we have some outstanding voices in our choir.
In fact one of the girls sings in one of our choirs, many of these kids have acted and sang at their schools so they were seasoned performers and it showed.
I was fortunate to be at their last two rehearsal to get some pictures because cameras and recording devises were not allowed at any of the actual shows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 11:28 PM

A couple of pics

The Good Samaritan helping the injured

Old 03-05-2013, 06:33 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,026,945 times
I agree and I'm an agnostic (though grew up Catholic). It's a wonderful score, easily Stephen Schwartz' best. And the best song of all wasn't even written by him - By My Side.

Maybe it's just because I'm very musical, but I remember the parables much better from the Godspell skits than from any church readings I ever had. Even now when I think of the Good Samaritan story, "separating sheep from goats," etc. it's Godspell that comes to my mind. So if you bring people to the show, they'll probably remember the parables for life!

I do prefer it without the clown makeup, which is one reason I've only seen the film once.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
I agree and I'm an agnostic (though grew up Catholic). It's a wonderful score, easily Stephen Schwartz' best. And the best song of all wasn't even written by him - By My Side.

Maybe it's just because I'm very musical, but I remember the parables much better from the Godspell skits than from any church readings I ever had. Even now when I think of the Good Samaritan story, "separating sheep from goats," etc. it's Godspell that comes to my mind. So if you bring people to the show, they'll probably remember the parables for life!

I do prefer it without the clown makeup, which is one reason I've only seen the film once.
By My Side is such great song along with several others that standout.

Last edited by ted08721; 03-05-2013 at 09:53 PM..

Old 03-06-2013, 07:19 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
It's a wonderful show with a wonderful message:

"To see thee more clearly, love thee more dearly, follow thee more nearly, day by day."

I hope the kids had a great time performing it. Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:36 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,915,172 times
Yeah.. in spite of the inspired musical score, it's a shame to see all of those shining, brainwashed faces! Oh well... later we can rework them, when their heads wake up.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
It's a wonderful show with a wonderful message:

"To see thee more clearly, love thee more dearly, follow thee more nearly, day by day."

I hope the kids had a great time performing it. Thanks for sharing.
I was talking just yesterday to the youth minister who is in charge of these kids and the musical they put on, he said they were spiritually engaged with this musical so it had special meaning to them and there was much bonding had taken place among cast members along with some tears when they sat around discussing the event at their small celebration after the last show; some of these kids hardly knew each other before they began work on this show.
Besides taking pictures I was also involved with the setting up and taking down of the set, all of us adults that were involved agreed that it did add much to add to our Lenten experience.
It was also good to get to know some very nice people from the parish that I did not know before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality