U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2012, 02:23 PM

46 posts, read 73,859 times

Advertisements

This probably has been discussed before, and I am sure that it will be discussed again, but here goes.
Some believe in salvation through works alone. Some believe in salvation through faith. Some believe in salvation through a combination of both faith and works.

I believe in salvation through faith alone. I am beginning to see that works may come into play with my salvation after reading some scripture, and discussion with my spouse. As I understand My spouse beliefs; works alone will get you salvation.

What is your opinion does salvation come from faith, works or combination of both.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 02:55 PM

1,703 posts, read 4,836,821 times
Jesus was our supreme Exemplar and he certainly didn't just sit around and not do good. Don't you think that our Lord would expect more of us than just believing on His name?

Old 01-08-2012, 03:38 PM

47,574 posts, read 30,092,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBear View Post
This probably has been discussed before, and I am sure that it will be discussed again, but here goes.
Some believe in salvation through works alone. Some believe in salvation through faith. Some believe in salvation through a combination of both faith and works.

I believe in salvation through faith alone. I am beginning to see that works may come into play with my salvation after reading some scripture, and discussion with my spouse. As I understand My spouse beliefs; works alone will get you salvation.

What is your opinion does salvation come from faith, works or combination of both.
Try to understand . . . JESUS CHRIST achieved our salvation. It is finished. Our species has been re-generated. Nothing we do has any impact on that whatsoever. BUT . . . WE are responsible for our justification and sanctification and we WILL reap what we sow based on our works of "hay, wood, straw, gold, silver etc." in "love of God and each other" and our repentance or lack thereof. Our works will be tried . . . but we are saved as if by fire anyway.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:22 PM

15,511 posts, read 14,599,752 times
In Islam we believe we are saved by having faith God(swt) will forgive us if we ask for his forgiveness and are sincerly repentent.

We believe we will also be rewarded for our good works and punished for our bad deeds. Rewarded many times more than what the good deeds are worth and punished no greater that what our bad deeds have earned us.

We have a concept very similar to the Catholic concept of purgatory, in that we may have to spend some time in hell to pay for our unforgiven sins.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:55 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,360,274 times
OK, I will try to write these quotes from memory.

From the Christian hymn "Rock of Ages"

"In my hand, no prize I bring.
Simply to the Cross I cling"

From the John Milton poem "On His Blindness":

"Thousands at His bidding speed, and post o'er land and ocean.
They also serve who stand and wait."

I've got to read more poetry.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:27 PM

1,885 posts, read 1,788,595 times
Faith in Christ alone. There is nothing that we can do to earn Gods favor. Christ did that for us.

My favorite book James, does say faith w/o works is dead. This is merely saying that works will be the result of our faith and salvation, not the other way around.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:12 PM

18,071 posts, read 10,020,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
Faith in Christ alone. There is nothing that we can do to earn Gods favor. Christ did that for us.

My favorite book James, does say faith w/o works is dead. This is merely saying that works will be the result of our faith and salvation, not the other way around.
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 01-08-2012, 11:03 PM

5,563 posts, read 6,626,878 times
The prime question that first needs to be asked.

Saved from what?

Old 01-09-2012, 01:03 AM

13,900 posts, read 11,600,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBear View Post

Welcome to the boards CityBear!

When I was a Christian, I believed it was a combination of both faith and works. Faith in God was important, and to please God through good works was also important.

James 2:17

New International Version (NIV)

17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

I am no longer a Christian, and believe in self fulfillment and salvation in this life.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:34 AM
Status: "Biden = Chinese, The Official Language of the USA" (set 19 days ago)

21,167 posts, read 16,968,120 times
It has been my experience that the OP defines "faith" as believing that Jesus died for all of the sins of the OP, past, present and future. I believe that you reap what you sow and that one must acknowledge God in all aspects of their life to be faithful to God. Also, I believe that personal responsibility plays a very big part and also the Golden Rule is indeed that, "Golden". I would think "salvation" means "Heaven" in the end due solely on having decided that Jesus is God rather than burning in "Hell" as a result of reaping what one has sown for not following Biblical law/Golden Rule. If you haven't guessed by now, I am the "spouse". I have learned over just the past few years, three of many, that religious views that harmonize are critical. They can make or break the deal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality