Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 07:08 PM

2,468 posts, read 3,135,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
I was raised in the traditional Christian way (more or less), and attended a wide variety of churches in my youth and young adulthood. Ultimately, I left the organized church in search of truth. I embarked on many (or maybe just one long) spiritual journeys and explorations. I think that none of the organized religions as we know them have it right. There are to many attempts to ascribe human-like features and qualities to this thing we call God, or gods.

God is a universal underlying energy, present in all things. It contains order and chaos, harmony and dissonance, creation and destruction. It is the source of all things, including the physical world and the laws of science, as well as spiritual energy which we humans can access. It is not an old man in the sky, although if there is such a thing he certainly came from this universal energy, as did we all.

I apologize if this seems incoherent; I have never tried to define it as I have never found the need to do so. Plus I'm on my mobile, which adds some challenges to thoughtful posting.
Thank you, Stanman. I agree & can relate with your spiritual journey.
What you mentioned about God being "a universal underlying energy, present in all things" reminded me about dark (invisible) energy considered to make up 95% of the universe. It, like faith is not seen, but known by it's influence (like on light). I think we & all life/energy continues based on faith/attraction/love.

While I define God as ultimate concern, or LOVE, I still believe that this can be expressed in countless ways. And one way of loving (or ultimate concern) may be right for one, but not for another. In my stage of life now, my ultimate concern... or what I think is best in the big picture... is very different than what it was 20 years ago. Yet, I do think a type of balance is important... (financial, spiritual, intellectual, social, self-awareness)... & balance within each aspect... (ie realizing we have both strengths & weakness that affect our ultimate concerns).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality