Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2019, 06:41 PM

88,293 posts, read 84,292,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
You think it's a good idea to eat shellfish in the desert?
How would you get shellfish in the desert in the first place?

Old 11-05-2019, 08:56 PM

22,992 posts, read 10,337,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Well, for whatever reason - isolation in the ghettos, washing their hands, not eating bottom feeders, following laws given to them- the Jews were saved from the plaque like no others.
Sounds like a blessing to me. All the laws given by God to them were brilliant.
MMMM, Bottum feeders, fixing to make me some broiled catfish.

There is a lesson within all nature, that is the point of dietary laws, consider this, '' Elijah was fed by unlean ravens, he was fed meat(Knowledge).''

Without dietary laws, we couldn't symbolise an unclean spirit in that way, and without unclean animals, we couldn't symbolise gentiles being swine, being dogs.

In one arctic we have penguines walking forever to come to a place where there is a role for the husband and the wife.

After mating, the female emperor or king penguin will lay a single egg. All other species of penguins lay two eggs. The two parents will take turns holding the eggs between their legs for warmth in a nest. The one exception is the emperor penguin.

On the opposite side we have polar bears.

We can speak of the average sea dolphin, or speak of orcas, and then there is the pink river dolphin that has evolved in such a way as to be able to turn his head around like a snake, these all are for teaching, all of nature simply for teaching.

There is a type of mother shark who has many babies, but inside her womb, there is a king who eats all it's siblings.

The fig is nothing without the wasp, and the wasp nothing without the fig.

The crimson worm knows when it climbs on the tree that it will not come back down alive. It is going to the tree to birth a family and to do that it must die. Jesus knowing all things still was willing to die on the cross to birth a family. Once on the tree, the crimson worm then attaches itself to the tree.

Jesus came making fishers of men to catch souls from rivers, ponds and oceans.

Behold, in my visions by day, I witnessed an Olive tree walk into a garden with the water, the olive tree sought to test the water, and the vine was between them.

The vine said,'' Who can ever be happy without the spirit of my grapes?''

The Olive tree chimed in saying,'' O grapes, your spirit is nothing without the teaching of my oil.''

Then the water chimed in saying,'' But what are either of you without me?

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; 11-05-2019 at 09:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2019, 05:09 AM

16,629 posts, read 15,580,631 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Sine Israel has coastlines on the Dead Sea, the Sea of Galilee, a gulf, and the Mediterranean Sea, it's probably not difficult to find good sea food.

Old 11-06-2019, 05:11 AM

32,530 posts, read 21,941,988 times
Quote:
Although most kinds of shellfish are harvested from saltwater environments, some are found in freshwater. In addition, a few species of land crabs are eaten, for example Cardisoma guanhumi in the Caribbean. - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shellfish

Old 11-06-2019, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Sine Israel has coastlines on the Dead Sea, the Sea of Galilee, a gulf, and the Mediterranean Sea, it's probably not difficult to find good sea food.
There are no fish, nor is there any plant life, in the Dead Sea (hence the name), the Sea of Galilee is a freshwater lake, and I can't find any reference to any type of shellfish being present in it, and the coast of Israel along the Mediterranean Sea is fertile land, not a desert.

So to get shellfish in the desert, someone would have had to have carted it from the Mediterranean to the desert, by which time in the heat it might be past its prime and unsafe to eat, but then the same can be said of fin fish, as well.

My point is that I think we should believe the Jews when they say they follow them solely because they believe God said to do so to set themselves apart and not for health reasons.

Or hey, maybe one of the Levites had a shellfish allergy.

Old 11-06-2019, 07:17 AM

18,926 posts, read 6,927,349 times
Quote:
There are no fish, nor is there any plant life, in the Dead Sea (hence the name), the Sea of Galilee is a freshwater lake, and I can't find any reference to any type of shellfish being present in it, and the coast of Israel along the Mediterranean Sea is fertile land, not a desert.

So to get shellfish in the desert, someone would have had to have carted it from the Mediterranean to the desert, by which time in the heat it might be past its prime and unsafe to eat, but then the same can be said of fin fish, as well.

My point is that I think we should believe the Jews when they say they follow them solely because they believe God said to do so to set themselves apart and not for health reasons.

Or hey, maybe one of the Levites had a shellfish allergy.
One can dry fish. Shellfish would just be bad.

But we do know that some of the other nations around were seafaring people. It's believed the Philistines migrated from the area of Greece. They were known as the "fish people". That particular law would separate them from the Philistines.

Old 11-06-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
No, if you recall the Bible story, it was Peter's dream showing him that he could now eat "unclean" flesh, which was a metaphor for allowing Gentiles into Christianity. Prior to that, people had to convert to Judaism to become Christians.

It became not just a metaphor, but an actual practice. As the religion spread to parts where no one had EVER been Jewish to begin with, the dietary laws were no longer a concern.

Some Christians, like the Seventh Day Adventists, do follow the dietary laws and/or are totally vegetarian.

The stricture against eating pork never had anything to do with health. Pork is no more or less healthy than other mammal meats.
The dream didn’t show him that he could now eat treif, but that Gentiles should not be considered ‘treif’...Peter didn’t even realize what the vision meant until the men showed up from Cornelius...It had nothing to do with food at all...

Old 11-06-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
One can dry fish. Shellfish would just be bad.

But we do know that some of the other nations around were seafaring people. It's believed the Philistines migrated from the area of Greece. They were known as the "fish people". That particular law would separate them from the Philistines.
I think that the Philistines were an Egyptian colony...

Old 11-07-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
The dream didn’t show him that he could now eat treif, but that Gentiles should not be considered ‘treif’...Peter didn’t even realize what the vision meant until the men showed up from Cornelius...It had nothing to do with food at all...
I'm aware of that, but it also meant, in practice without having to make a rule, that it wasn't necessary for the Jewish dietary laws to be followed by Gentile Christians.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I think that the Philistines were an Egyptian colony...
I'm not sure. I remember reading that it archaeologists found it odd that the Philistines didn't seem to have a written language. Of course, Egyptians did.

Unless it was an Egyptian colony comprising illiterates!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality