Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2017, 10:19 AM

31,374 posts, read 20,077,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
The pagans. Pigs are unclean and not a food in Judaism. Pigs are sort of a "cockroach's" of land, just as shellfish are the "cockroachs" of water, and unclean birds that eat carrion are the "cockroaches" of the air. Peace
Mmmm...bacon...mmm...lobster....

But I'm with you on the birds. I ate a seagull once and it didn't taste very good at all.

But to carry your silly metaphor even further: I believe biblical literalists are the "cockroaches" of religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 10:36 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,015,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Mmmm...bacon...mmm...lobster....

But I'm with you on the birds. I ate a seagull once and it didn't taste very good at all.

But to carry your silly metaphor even further: I believe biblical literalists are the "cockroaches" of religion.

Very telling of you. So your sins mostly line up with sins against the body (pigs) and the soul (lobster), and not the spirit (birds). Interesting. Thanks for that prayer aid. Peace

Old 07-02-2017, 10:44 AM

50,137 posts, read 46,774,167 times
Quote:
The pagans. Pigs are unclean and not a food in Judaism. Pigs are sort of a "cockroach's" of land, just as shellfish are the "cockroachs" of water, and unclean birds that eat carrion are the "cockroaches" of the air. Peace
Most species are omnivores. You can see videos of deer eating birds and a chicken will eat another chicken. Unless you are a strict vegan that can grwo your own you are eating cross contaminated food.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Very telling of you. So your sins mostly line up with sins against the body (pigs) and the soul (lobster), and not the spirit (birds). Interesting. Thanks for that prayer aid. Peace
I don't sin.

And you're welcome. You are in great need of aid.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:55 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,762,150 times
Quote:
The lengths to which some will go to try and erect a logical basis for the irrational 'just because!' dictates of their religion never fails to amaze.

As I've noted before, a lot of people on this thread don't comprehend the nature of digestion. Consumed matter is broken down into its constituent water-soluble molecules for absorption into the bloodstream. By that time it reaches the blood, those nutrients are identical, whether or not they came from a nicely-cooked steak or ripe roadkill. The resulting flesh from the consuming animal - ie, the meat when that animal is butchered - is the same regardless of the source of the nutrient molecules.

And here's a newsflash:
Grazing cattle (irrationally festooned with the label 'clean') hoover up a lot of bugs while they're eating the copious amounts of grass they require to grow.

Here's another newsflash:
For the 'shellfish are unclean!' crowd - you obviously have no idea how ubiquitous oyster shells (as a calcium source) are in chicken feed.

Old 07-02-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
The lengths to which some will go to try and erect a logical basis for the irrational 'just because!' dictates of their religion never fails to amaze.

As I've noted before, a lot of people on this thread don't comprehend the nature of digestion. Consumed matter is broken down into its constituent water-soluble molecules for absorption into the bloodstream. By that time it reaches the blood, those nutrients are identical, whether or not they came from a nicely-cooked steak or ripe roadkill. The resulting flesh from the consuming animal - ie, the meat when that animal is butchered - is the same regardless of the source of the nutrient molecules.

And here's a newsflash:
Grazing cattle (irrationally festooned with the label 'clean') hoover up a lot of bugs while they're eating the copious amounts of grass they require to grow.

For the 'shellfish are unclean!' crowd - you obviously have no idea how ubiquitous oyster shells (as a calcium source) are in chicken feed.

I'm not trying to erect anything, it was already erected thousands of years ago. I was just offering the long established reasoning behind it. Do with it what you will. Peace

Old 07-02-2017, 02:16 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,328,649 times
You are so angry in all your posts I feel sorry for you.

Quote:

And here's a newsflash:

Old 07-02-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
I'm not trying to erect anything, it was already erected thousands of years ago. I was just offering the long established reasoning behind it. Do with it what you will. Peace
For "reasoning" substitute "superstition."

Old 07-02-2017, 04:15 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,762,150 times
Quote:
There is no reasoning. A command is not a reason. And what I will 'do with that' is point it out. Furthermore, I've pointed out that meat is not made of what the creature from which that meat came ate - it is made from the constituent molecules, which are identical, whether they were from something that your fastidiousness decides is 'clean' or, alternatively, 'icky'. I gave the example of cattle, which consume plenty of 'icky' bugs in the fields. Your response? Nada. I gave the example of shellfish (another of your 'icky' foods), which are in turned consumed by chickens, which apparently get your stamp of 'clean' approval. Thus, your attempt to parse out 'clean' and 'icky' foods falls completely apart at little more than a logical glance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
You are so angry in all your posts I feel sorry for you.
You confuse contempt for nonsense with anger.

Do you have anything to add to the conversation, other than your feeble attempt to falsely portray me?

Old 07-02-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
There is no reasoning. A command is not a reason. And what I will 'do with that' is point it out. Furthermore, I've pointed out that meat is not made of what the creature from which that meat came ate - it is made from the constituent molecules, which are identical, whether they were from something that your fastidiousness decides is 'clean' or, alternatively, 'icky'. I gave the example of cattle, which consume plenty of 'icky' bugs in the fields. Your response? Nada. I gave the example of shellfish (another of your 'icky' foods), which are in turned consumed by chickens, which apparently get your stamp of 'clean' approval. Thus, your attempt to parse out 'clean' and 'icky' foods falls completely apart at little more than a logical glance.

You confuse contempt for nonsense with anger.

Do you have anything to add to the conversation, other than your feeble attempt to falsely portray me?

First of all, there was nothing said to you that should illicit such a response to me. That being said, I am just offering up the reasoning behind it by way of explanation, as given by G-d. He did things with the idea of teaching spiritual principles behind them, not just dictating dietary restrictions, which when you reduce it to that ALONE, misses the point anyway, so why bother to try to tear it down? It's sort of like hitting your wrecked car with a hammer after it's wrecked = overkill. Peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality