Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 04:39 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times

Advertisements

Too many fundamentalist Christians here simply will not get involved in an honest debate on Evolution and it's obvious proofs. They won't read provided links, they deflect the thread's original point away from that point, they smear and denigrate science and scientists, and they quote-mine decades-old but now irrelevant science, as well as lone one-item articles, often done by failed and discredited scientists way out of their area of expertise, as somehow easily debunking the literal hundreds of thousands of good research studies that have proven Evolution.

Well, if a few of you more vociferous anti-Evolution Christians here will agree to providing me simple yes or no answers, without adding in all sorts of unrelated qualifications, and without revising the question or changing directions, I will bet that I can make you openly admit to the truth about Evolution's existence. And without any sarcasm or buffoonery! I promise!

Because, if you then choose to become dishonest when I eventually corner you and dissect your arguments, it will be immediately obvious to all the observers that would gather for the inevitable coup-de-gras*...

* Coup de grâce - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

as in...

Image Detail for - http://www.austin-thomas.co.uk/new/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/thekillweb.jpg

(PS: I'll be the cheetah here, n'kay?)

Just check the "OK rifleman; I'll bite. After all, you'll never convince me!" box and we'll begin! It won't take but a few brief Yes or No responses on your part either!!!

You guys are up to it, aren't you? Defending the realm of God's word and all? I patiently await your reasoned and polite agreements, guys!

Else, "PUOSU" (put up or... etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 04:49 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,604,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
And without any sarcasm or buffoonery! I promise!
Surrrre

Old 02-06-2012, 04:55 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Default We have our first player!

I'll take that as a yes from you then, jda? Be a good sport, buddy!

After all, what have you to to lose?

(Tell him what he's won already, Vanna!)

Old 02-06-2012, 05:28 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,617 times
Really? Why? What's so important about proving you're right?

Old 02-06-2012, 06:12 PM

33,542 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
Are you saying that you really don't know? Do you think we should all build our lives around myths instead of what is proven to be true?
It is important to educate our children with reality, so they don't have to overcome the false beliefs taught to them when they aspire to higher education. This will enable them to make a positive influence in the future instead of parroting the same 2000 year old myths that contribute nothing at all.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:27 PM

337 posts, read 409,128 times
With the definition of evolution being anything that changes, there is no way not to admit that, so I'm not sure what the OP is trying to prove.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:44 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Too many fundamentalist Christians here simply will not get involved in an honest debate on Evolution and it's obvious proofs. They won't read provided links, they deflect the thread's original point away from that point, they smear and denigrate science and scientists, and they quote-mine decades-old but now irrelevant science, as well as lone one-item articles, often done by failed and discredited scientists way out of their area of expertise, as somehow easily debunking the literal hundreds of thousands of good research studies that have proven Evolution.

Well, if a few of you more vociferous anti-Evolution Christians here will agree to providing me simple yes or no answers, without adding in all sorts of unrelated qualifications, and without revising the question or changing directions, I will bet that I can make you openly admit to the truth about Evolution's existence. And without any sarcasm or buffoonery! I promise!

Because, if you then choose to become dishonest when I eventually corner you and dissect your arguments, it will be immediately obvious to all the observers that would gather for the inevitable coup-de-gras*...

* Coup de grâce - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

as in...

Image Detail for - http://www.austin-thomas.co.uk/new/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/thekillweb.jpg

(PS: I'll be the cheetah here, n'kay?)

Just check the "OK rifleman; I'll bite. After all, you'll never convince me!" box and we'll begin! It won't take but a few brief Yes or No responses on your part either!!!

You guys are up to it, aren't you? Defending the realm of God's word and all? I patiently await your reasoned and polite agreements, guys!

Else, "PUOSU" (put up or... etc.)
Apparently, I could never want you to as badly as you are wanting to do so.

However, evolution...things evolve....a no-brainer. Now if you mean in the bigger sense that you think you can make me divorce my awareness of a creator/God....sure. Give me your best shot. I want more of you to read.

Then, be sure you can make me agree that "the Big Bang" is reality. THAT'll be the most fun I've had in a long time. someone getting me to agree that it all just happened in some big explosion, and that out of it came the genius intracacies *(is that a word? LOL..) of our world.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:49 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
Rifleguy has issues. Me? Yes evolution seems to have merit.

Sorry to take the thunder away from rifleguy.

But with that said, I Got a Marlin bolt action 22 mag. Love the gun (not that I'd want to marry it) Open sights. Accurate.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:06 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,214,408 times
Rifle old buddy, the method of scientific enquiry is not held to preconceived ideas whereas the dogma of religion does.

Being diametrically opposite, theists must either reject the hypothesis and/or theories that oppose their limited world view and challenges their preconceived notions of the alternative godunnit OR they accept it in part and still try apply mental gymnastics and jumping though hoops to claim this was all any way of their god's doing and we are only now finding out about it.

You would probably elicit a livlier debate discussing the spiritual implications of the nursery rhyme, "Baa, baa black sheep" as that (from what I have seen) is the level of their scientific acumen.

To cite an unknown source, "If evolution is a religion, it is the ONLY one with irrefutable proof"

Old 02-06-2012, 10:25 PM

229 posts, read 206,876 times
Im not a religous person, but 200 years ago I would of convinced you the world was flat and justed ended. How would I have done it, you would of most likely already of believed it. Science is only fact 1/3rd of the time... The other 2/3rds are theories or hypothesis...

This is coming from someone who trusts science more than any religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality