Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 11:59 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,460,936 times

Advertisements

YouTube - Penn & Teller; The Bible is ... .

Why do people prefer to pick and choose which parts of the Bible (all of which is the Word of God) to believe in?

Last edited by ParkTwain; 11-07-2007 at 12:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 12:44 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times
Originally Posted by ParkTwain
Quote:
Why do people prefer to pick and choose which parts of the Bible to believe in?
Otherwise religion would only be inflexible?
Being inflexible means not changing, which means not growing.
Who in their right mind wants to suffer from a stunted growth?

Old 11-07-2007, 04:40 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post

YouTube - Penn & Teller; The Bible is ... .

Why do people prefer to pick and choose which parts of the Bible (all of which is the Word of God) to believe in?
Because too many parts of it make no sense whatsoever and have more holes in them than Emmental cheese ?

Also so many parts of it are not palatable to modern people, even the staunchest of Christians. So it it's much easier to justify your beliefs with parts of the bible being the absolute litteral truth and others just "parables" "metaphors" and allegories"...

Without "pick and chose", the bible seems like a completely silly book to most people .

Old 11-07-2007, 05:36 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Man, I just spent an hour listening and watching great videos about religion lacking rationality. Best hour I've spent in some time.

Thanks.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:04 AM

599 posts, read 1,260,840 times
Ugh, I'm embarrased to admit that I just spent two minutes of my valuable time looking at that garbage. Lord forgive me....I have much better things to do today. Going now to put on some praise and worship music and do my laundry!

Old 11-07-2007, 08:06 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,526,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in VA View Post
Ugh, I'm embarrased to admit that I just spent two minutes of my valuable time looking at that garbage. Lord forgive me....I have much better things to do today. Going now to put on some praise and worship music and do my laundry!
Why would you feel embarrassed? That seems to be an odd reaction.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:44 AM

599 posts, read 1,260,840 times
Well maybe I shouldn't have used the the word embarrased....I just meant that I shouldn't have wasted my time looking at the video, because it goes against everything I believe to be true.

Phillipians 4:8 - Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:27 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,459,170 times
Quote:
Well maybe I shouldn't have used the the word embarrased....I just meant that I shouldn't have wasted my time looking at the video, because it goes against everything I believe to be true.
Not to be rude but that feeling that you have right now.... that feeling of distaste, or perhaps horror that someone could say such a thing.... that's kind of how I feel every time I am approached by a religious person asking me if I want to attend their church or donate money to it.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:50 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,526,388 times
Quote:
Penn Jillette can be a bit brash, but the video simply stated that there is no extra-biblical evidence for many of the events described in the Bible.

Quote:
Phillipians 4:8 - Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
It is a true thing that there is no extra-biblical evidence for many of the events described in the Bible.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:59 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,421,413 times
Since when is a belief in God supposed to be rational?

2 Chronicles 36:16 - But they mocked the messengers of God, and despised his words, and misused his prophets, until the wrath of the LORD arose against his people, till there was no remedy.

1 Corinthians 1:18 - For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

1 Corinthians 1:21 [NIV] - For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe.

2 Corinthians 4:3-6 - But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them. For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake. For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

There is an expression from Saint Thomas Aquinas that goes: "To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." Strange how true that is when trying to deal with atheists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality