Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 01:21 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,884,530 times

Advertisements

Do you believe in generational curses...for todays Christians? Where the Bible says the sins of the fathers would be visited upon the children, even unto the 4th generation? (Exodus 20:5
Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me)

Our church was happy, content, loving, kind, and peaceful. Everybody loved everybody, life was good. That is, until one day, someone brought in the "new" teaching/doctrine of generational curses. Before we knew it, half the church went one way, and the other half went the other. I mean right down the middle. We even had two pastors, and one went one way, and the other one went the other. One side said "those curses only pertain to the old covenant...we're under the new convenant...we're under the blood of Jesus, therefore generational curses can't affect us...". And the other side was saying "yeah...true...BUT...under the new covenant, freedom from generational curses must be appropriated by FAITH, same way you get saved: by faith...it's a gradual process...it's not automatically granted...here's how you get delivered..." I mean, there were bi-weekly classes held on how to get delivered from this, that, and the other thing...you name it...EVERY sin and disease imaginable was covered. I mean, for example, even if you just fell down and hurt yourself, you were to pray and ask God for forgiveness, for "falling and hurting yourself". (???)
GOOD GRIEF, and for crying out loud...people! Does anybody REALLY FOR-SURE know? Prove it! I hate it when a church gets blown in half, over stupid stuff like this! Now, my wife and I are kinda sitting on the sidelines, watching. We love the people on both sides, but can't "side" with either...we love them both...this is not good...
What do you think?

Bud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 03:28 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,388,067 times
Default So sad...

Wow, Bud, that is such a sad story. Did this occur in Seward? If so, I really feel for you. I'm guessing you don't have many options there, do you? And these wouldn't just be people you see at church; they're your neighbors and friends. Yep, it's impossible to take sides unless you have a deep conviction one way or the other; even then, can't we discuss our differences with love?

I'm not well versed on generational curses. I tend to believe that, yes, they still exist today. The modern church likes to tout the New Covenant, but Jesus said he did not come to demolish the Old, but to fulfill it. Obviously some things, like sacrifices, are no longer pertinent. However, I believe there is still much wisdom and even some commandments in the old that carry over into the new. God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. So why would the way He operates change? I don't believe it does.

While I believe generational curses still exist, I tend to think that with fervent effective prayer, fasting, and repentance for past deeds (even those of our ancestors), an individual can be delivered from the curse. I can't imagine that a generational curse is the cause for falling and hurting yourself. It does sound like your church didn't have sound teaching regarding this issue. I'll keep you, your family, and your church in my prayers.

I wish I had some solid Scriptural support for my position. This is an area that has piqued my curiosity in the past, but--obviously--I haven't done a study on it, yet. Since I think we're the last generation, this issue hasn't gone on my high priority list. I'll be very interested to see the responses you get.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:19 AM

646 posts, read 1,610,568 times
I think that generational curses are a good example of why christianity must be fictional, or at least greatly mistaken at its core.

If god is just, as christians claim, why should the descendants of a sinner be punished?

Lets look at original sin,the biggest of all generational curses. Because A&E sinned, they were cast out of the garden, and now all of mankind needs to be redeemed? So you and I suffer for something done a long time ago?

That is not justice.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:46 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,080 times
I did a study on this very subject go here to read it.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:47 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
I've often thought about this subject. Interesting thread. Thanks for starting it. I have no scriptural basis to quote, but I think the "curses" are more a result of unwise choices made by an earlier gneration...for example, the choices we make in life impress certain values on our children and their children, and they are taught to behave in the same patterns as their parents did, and to make similar choices. We have to teach the younger generation by word and by example. It doesn't help to say to the kids "Don't do as do - do as I say!" if they see us not caring about others, cheating, lying, stealing, living immoraly and selfishly. It's a pretty sure bet the kids will end up doing the same, which brings a lot of trouble into their lives (and others' - neighbors', friends', society in general). I may not have stated this well, but that's kind of what I believe is the meaning of the curses being visited upon succeeding generations. I may be wrong, since I don't have the answers, but I tend to view some of these passages as God telling us what will happen because he can see the future, not because he's cursing every future generation for something done way back when.

OOps...Marks, we were posting simultaneously!

Last edited by swbtoo; 06-05-2007 at 06:52 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 06-05-2007, 06:57 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,490,650 times
Very good article.

How can I be cursed if I follow Jesus? Satan's hold cannot be there.

I walked out of a Christian conference a long time ago when they started talking about "sins of the father will be visited upon the sons."

The speaker went so far as to say that you should be very wary of adopting children because you don't know what kind of sins they may bring from their fathers into your household.

Hogwash! I am adopted and I have an adopted son. Any "curse" is broken when we are made free in Jesus.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
I did a study on this very subject go here to read it.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:00 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Very good article.

How can I be cursed if I follow Jesus? Satan's hold cannot be there.

I walked out of a Christian conference a long time ago when they started talking about "sins of the father will be visited upon the sons."

The speaker went so far as to say that you should be very wary of adopting children because you don't know what kind of sins they may bring from their fathers into your household.

Hogwash! I am adopted and I have an adopted son. Any "curse" is broken when we are made free in Jesus.

Dawn
I agree with you! hogwash!!

Old 06-05-2007, 07:55 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
Default Generational curses...or not???

I have also been part of churches which teach that generational curses should be broken. Again, as others have shared, I don't think there are any specific scriptures that will tell you specifically if these things still need to be broken after becoming a Christian. Personally, I do believe that they do, but this is personal opinion, not scripturally based (because scripturally you could argue both ways.) I think some of the recent discovery of genes for "alchoholism" or "depression" etc. may be a scientific example of a generational curse. Again just my personal thoughts. Maybe I'm too simplistic though, but I guess just think that if someone feels they are under some type of generational curse, they should pray a prayer of repentance, renounce that particular sin and declare the curse to be broken in the name of Jesus. Pray about it and allow the Lord to lead you would be my advice. This is the teaching we had on it anyway.

The second thing I would add is you mention this issue spliting the church. I just think think that this is overemphasis on a "peripheral teaching", even it's VALID! Even a truth can be overemphasized. Of course, I do realize you can't make decisions or control the behavior of others in your church. But hopefully, you may have opportunity to "speak into the situation" and be the voice of reason, so to speak.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:27 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,884,530 times
Quote: "Did this occur in Seward?"

Yep! The one pastor who split off severed his ties completely with the main church, resigned, and will have nothing to do anymore with the main church. He has started his own church, and by all reports is doing good. He refuses to allow ANY teaching about generational curses be taught, stating that the blood of Jesus does away with all that. The main church is (last I heard) still allowing the generational curse doctrine to be taught.
I am still studying this topic, and have not formed an opinion myself. My wife adamently refuses to go where this doctrine is taught. (kinda hard to go to a church, if your spouse refuses...) A few winters ago, before the split, we all went to just one church...all of us. My wife fell down on the ice and snow, and hurt herself. She was instructed to pray, and ask God to forgive her for falling down and hurting herself! (for crying out loud...it was an accident...not a sin!) Sheesh! That nonsense aside, I am trying to look at the bigger picture, and see if there is any truth to all this...hence my plea to the greater body of Christ...
Marks: thank you for the link...I will read it.

Bud

Old 06-05-2007, 09:38 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Quote: "Did this occur in Seward?"

Yep! The one pastor who split off severed his ties completely with the main church, resigned, and will have nothing to do anymore with the main church. He has started his own church, and by all reports is doing good. He refuses to allow ANY teaching about generational curses be taught, stating that the blood of Jesus does away with all that. The main church is (last I heard) still allowing the generational curse doctrine to be taught.
I am still studying this topic, and have not formed an opinion myself. My wife adamently refuses to go where this doctrine is taught. (kinda hard to go to a church, if your spouse refuses...) A few winters ago, before the split, we all went to just one church...all of us. My wife fell down on the ice and snow, and hurt herself. She was instructed to pray, and ask God to forgive her for falling down and hurting herself! (for crying out loud...it was an accident...not a sin!) Sheesh! That nonsense aside, I am trying to look at the bigger picture, and see if there is any truth to all this...hence my plea to the greater body of Christ...
Marks: thank you for the link...I will read it.

Bud
I use to get hurt alot, mainly from not watching what I was doing, broke my leg in a wreck, but not once was it considered that I should ask God to forgive me for it..more like my momma prayed more for God to watch out for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality