Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 05:26 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,120,540 times

Advertisements

As ironic & entertaining as it can be to see many deny God with such passion,
I feel the need to point out what Philosopher, Paul Tillich wrote,

"God is whatever concerns us ultimately, whatever is most important in our lives.
This is true, when one denies the existence of God. Where there is ultimate concern,
God can be denied only in the name of God."

God, as in creator is not understood - but probably linked to attraction & dark energy/matter.
Yet, God as in personal application is about what we worship - what our ultimate concern is.
So, let me ask you what your mom may have used to ask...
"What are your priorities?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 05:42 PM

115 posts, read 114,901 times
According to that definition, I could not rule out perhaps that I am my God.
However, I have another definition of God that I call my God:
I posit a portion of that which exists, that is read-only that exists as such only in God, and a portion that is writable to only by God and thus exists as a part of him as well. Everything else is the universe, or perhaps the multiverse. I believe that even if any portion of God were to be unreadable to the universe, it can be derived.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:46 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,190,415 times
What is the point of this thread? People who don't believe in god have no problem with that. Our problem is people that apply their beliefs to the lives of others i.e. Rick Santorum.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
What is the point of this thread? People who don't believe in god have no problem with that. Our problem is people that apply their beliefs to the lives of others i.e. Rick Santorum.
Not true. I have no problem with people that apply their beliefs to the lives of others, and would still have no problem with people who apply their beliefs to the lives of others even if I did not believe in a God, which under many interpretations of the concept of God, I don't.

I do have a problem however when people that apply their beliefs to the lives of others do so in a way that is detrimental to those others which is in turn a detriment to me, according to my judgment, which is the only judgement I have to use, be it better, the same as or worse than any other.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:49 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,458,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
As ironic & entertaining as it can be to see many deny God with such passion

<snip>

So, let me ask you what your mom may have used to ask...
"What are your priorities?"
It is not really about the fact that god does not exist, but the intrusions into society, politics, our laws imposed by those that disagree.

This country was founded on the separation of church and state, and I know of no atheist that has a problem with that. The push back you see from atheists is the fact the theists insist on continually and repeatedly ignoring and making incursions across the DMZ that separates church and state.

The most accurate analogy of your beliefs is that you should treat them just like your genitalia. Don't pull it out in public and force it on no one.

My priority? To protect myself, society, and our future from the willful ignorance of bronze age superstitions. It protects you also, for it also protects you from having the ancient superstitions of a different religion forced upon you.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
The most accurate analogy of your beliefs is that you should treat them just like your genitalia. Don't pull it out in public and force it on no one.
I'm sorry but that conflicts with the fact that my beliefs and judgements are the only ones I have and thus I should enforce them everywhere and every place I have the power to do so.

Quote:
My priority? To protect myself, society, and our future from the willful ignorance of bronze age superstitions. It protects you also, for it also protects you from having the ancient superstitions of a different religion forced upon you.
I'm afraid you have just pulled out your belief that the willful ignorance of bronze age superstitions is harmful and in declaring that you will protect society from it are forcing it on everyone. I will protect me from having the ancient superstitions of a different religion forced upon me, thank you very much, and I will do so to the extent that it serves my purposes for everyone else too, for I have no belief that my beliefs should not be "pulled out in public".

Old 03-08-2012, 08:18 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,458,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackwrench View Post
I'm sorry but that conflicts with the fact that my beliefs and judgements are the only ones I have and thus I should enforce them everywhere and every place I have the power to do so.
Based on your ancient superstitions and totally without proof, sorry chum, you are way overstepping your boundaries. That is what this country was founded on, and the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights says you are wrong.

Want sharia law, may I suggest Saudi Arabia, they cleave to the ignorance of the bronze age with a great deal of zeal.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Based on your ancient superstitions and totally without proof, sorry chum, you are way overstepping your boundaries. That is what this country was founded on, and the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights says you are wrong.

Want sharia law, may I suggest Saudi Arabia, they cleave to the ignorance of the bronze age with a great deal of zeal.
But then I am not below the law.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:58 PM

4,903 posts, read 6,002,786 times
My priorities lie in the progress and betterment of humanity, not god or faith.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:10 PM

Well then according to this definition of "God", your god is the progress and betterment of humanity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality