U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 10:48 PM

20,908 posts, read 22,207,847 times

Advertisements

Lately, I've been wondering - why do some people accept at face value the writings in religious scripture or the pronouncements of a patriarch or the musings of a Church Father or the declaration of a Pope?

What gave any of these religious authorities the power to determine what people should and should not believe and to establish this as doctrine for all time? How did it become taboo to question these authorities and legitimacy of these beliefs?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 10:56 PM

5,563 posts, read 6,629,435 times
Simple.

"Touch not mine anointed, and do my prophets no harm"

...with cherry pick here, a cherry pick there
Here a pick, there a pick...
Old Macdonald had a (funny) farm
EIEIO

Old 03-08-2012, 11:06 PM

4,486 posts, read 4,726,854 times
Perhaps it's because they have been taught to accept and not question.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:06 PM

115 posts, read 103,944 times
The two biggest factors I can see are a slave mentality, and they are taught to. When I thought of myself as Catholic, I was barely aware of the Pope, but I recognized being an altar boy as something I wanted. I immediately rejected my father's insistence of not eating so and so period before taking the Eucharist the instant it became a possibility that I might not partake of the Eucharist because we had eaten something too close to the time of it being served in the service/. I have only a vague recollection of how it went down though, but I seem to recall that I was not actig as an alar boy that day and the service was being held outside and we were late.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:15 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,094,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Lately, I've been wondering - why do some people accept at face value the writings in religious scripture or the pronouncements of a patriarch or the musings of a Church Father or the declaration of a Pope?

What gave any of these religious authorities the power to determine what people should and should not believe and to establish this as doctrine for all time? How did it become taboo to question these authorities and legitimacy of these beliefs?
I think it's comforting to have an institution...or fellow worshipers to align yourself with. It takes a lot of courage to take your spirituality on, by yourself.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:57 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,094,002 times
I think that when a person is carving out their own identity it's just easier to find a template that's close enough to build on and do it; kind of like buying a paint by numbers kit instead of paints and canvas. It's there mostly because so many have built their identity on it, and when you question these old standards, you're questioning their identity. But I will give the ways of old their due credit and say that there are some old ideas that we need to keep (don't steal). But if a standard that we are all supposed to live by can't be questioned, it doesn't deserve to be a standard in the first place.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:05 AM

61,305 posts, read 79,601,165 times
r the godless slaves to their own opinions?
why so much time denouncing the leaders of the spiritually minded.
is there a gnawing big empty driving these threads.
try standing silent in the big empty awhile w/o raging.
u may find the answers u seem to so seek.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:20 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,094,581 times
^^^
That's a good point. I guess those in authority are seen to carry a mantle of power...and that may be disturbing to those on the outside. People in authority do have the power to affect and direct their followers, in all that they do. And sometimes that affects people who have nothing to do with it...through religious fanaticism or acts of terror in the name of religion.

Last edited by lyra33; 03-09-2012 at 12:32 AM..

Old 03-09-2012, 12:27 AM

115 posts, read 103,944 times
I would posit that power comes first then authority.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:29 AM

5,563 posts, read 6,629,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
r the godless slaves to their own opinions?
why so much time denouncing the leaders of the spiritually minded.
is there a gnawing big empty driving these threads.
try standing silent in the big empty awhile w/o raging.
u may find the answers u seem to so seek.
We cannot but question these holy sees, I mean they are such bastions of righteousness and morality. One need only look at how they exploit god's wealth with lavish homes, $1000 suits, Rolex watches, ugly temple edifices, yup, exactly what jesus would have done

Oh wait....

The system is corrupt from the highest to the lowest. No wonder they and the govt in the US get on like a house on fire...

The 2000 year old con still works pretty well in today's America and other lands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality