Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 11:48 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,219,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
Most Vikings did not get set out to sea in a burning ship, it was to expensive, they were buried in rock lined grave in the shape of a hull of a boat.
If you were a well known warrior or important person everybody would do the dirty deed with your wife and then she would be killed and thrown in the grave with you; really I'm not making that up.
Accurate perhaps but nowhere near as awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 01:57 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,070,196 times
Funerals are the second biggest waste money a person will ever make, a wedding is first.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:57 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,336,551 times
I recently went to make cremation arrangements for a relative. During the discussion with the funeral rep, I was told that cremations now account for around 60% of the preferred way of disposing the body (over burial)... don't remember the exact number. Scattering ashes at sea, by law, has to be done least 3 miles from the coast.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:37 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,503,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Accurate perhaps but nowhere near as awesome.
Ditto.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:14 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,075,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
The religioustolerance.org site gives some background on the history and factors that have changed how we dispose of our dead. In the past, scripture favored burial as the preferred way by both the Jewish and Christian religions.

But times have changed and so have attitudes. According to the site, "most Christian groups now take a neutral stance." Do you think this is true? They also state how among Jews, "some rabbis in the Jewish Reform movement support cremation if it is the wish of the deceased." There was no mention of Islamic views on cremation, but it is my understanding that it is forbidden according to scripture.

Do you think that as society becomes more secular, cremation will become the preferred way of disposing of the deceased? Also, does religious scripture influence you in your own personal choice for the disposition of your remains?

CREMATION VS BURIAL: CHRISTIAN CONTROVERSY
I just know my personal opinion is, that if God can create Adam from the dust of the ground ...he can call me back from the four winds...

Old 03-28-2012, 07:15 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,075,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I want a Viking Funeral.
That would be so cool!

Old 03-28-2012, 07:20 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,512,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I want a Viking Funeral.

Same here I want everyone to be drinking & dancing remember me with celebration & music. I don't want everyone to be sad & depressed. Like Pamela said I think it would be hell to get permits to have your body burned.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:44 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,348,219 times
I'm all for cremation as well. I don't think God cares which way my body is disposed. It's going to return to dust anyway, cremation just hurries the process.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:22 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,219,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Same here I want everyone to be drinking & dancing remember me with celebration & music. I don't want everyone to be sad & depressed. Like Pamela said I think it would be hell to get permits to have your body burned.
I agree Reed, a funeral should be a celebration of a life well lived.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:59 PM

659 posts, read 1,100,604 times
I used to like the idea of being cremated, mixed in with some good quality pot, and smoked by friends and family. But then I found out they did something similar with Tupac when he was killed and I don't want to be some kind of copycat.

Now I like the idea of a Tibetan sky burial; just chop me up and feed me to the birds. That way at least I've done some good for somebody. But then when you consider my diet, that probably wouldn't be doing the birds any favors at all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality