Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 08:03 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,475 times

Advertisements

The religioustolerance.org site gives some background on the history and factors that have changed how we dispose of our dead. In the past, scripture favored burial as the preferred way by both the Jewish and Christian religions.

But times have changed and so have attitudes. According to the site, "most Christian groups now take a neutral stance." Do you think this is true? They also state how among Jews, "some rabbis in the Jewish Reform movement support cremation if it is the wish of the deceased." There was no mention of Islamic views on cremation, but it is my understanding that it is forbidden according to scripture.

Do you think that as society becomes more secular, cremation will become the preferred way of disposing of the deceased? Also, does religious scripture influence you in your own personal choice for the disposition of your remains?

CREMATION VS BURIAL: CHRISTIAN CONTROVERSY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 08:26 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,994,442 times
I think it comes down to price.....the corpse is but a dead organism.....and burying people is outrageously expensive.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:39 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,818,525 times
I want a Viking Funeral.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:59 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,223,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I want a Viking Funeral.
So does my DH, he already has it planned.

The open burn permits might be a little hard to get though.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:25 PM

460 posts, read 593,054 times
The idea that the death of a person is his/her last selfish act perpetrated on the world haunts me.

Checked up on what the costs were in the U.S. Here in the Philippines, it actually costs more to be cremated than dumped into a hole.

Thought that some States had relaxed the burial laws so that, after obtaining the right permits, a person can bury his/her loved ones in the back yard, if they want to, in any form of casket or cloth or their choosing.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:10 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I want a Viking Funeral.

I was thinking about just donating my body to science but.....that looks pretty AWSOME!!!!!!!!! I may have to reconsider.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:29 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,223,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post

I was thinking about just donating my body to science but.....that looks pretty AWSOME!!!!!!!!! I may have to reconsider.
Just for the sake of curiosity, how do you plan on having you lit up! Archers with flaming arrows, Pagan priest with a torch, delayed ignition incendiary device!

The DH is still working on that last little detail.

As for me, a simple cremation. After that, just pour my happy ash into a clear Waterford crystal biscuit jar and put me near a sunny window. I'm just a simple country girl with expensive tastes.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:18 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Just for the sake of curiosity, how do you plan on having you lit up! Archers with flaming arrows, Pagan priest with a torch, delayed ignition incendiary device!

The DH is still working on that last little detail.

As for me, a simple cremation. After that, just pour my happy ash into a clear Waterford crystal biscuit jar and put me near a sunny window. I'm just a simple country girl with expensive tastes.

Good question. If I would decide to have a VF, I probably have the towed out to sea a bit. (My home town is near the open ocean.) Far enough so there should be little problems. (I wonder what the rules are in international waters?)As for the starting the fire. Hmmmm. I like your idea of flaming arrows. That just adds to the experience. But then you definetly have to have to some type of quick acting excellerant in the boat to make sure it catches fire. Though most likely a delay type device that could start the fire would be the most likely senario.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:24 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,866,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post

Most Vikings did not get set out to sea in a burning ship, it was to expensive, they were buried in rock lined grave in the shape of a hull of a boat.
If you were a well known warrior or important person everybody would do the dirty deed with your wife and then she would be killed and thrown in the grave with you; really I'm not making that up.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:34 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
Not very 'liberated', were they?

A cremation for me. Less expensive, doesn't take up space, and so forth. I'll finally get to make a total ash of myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality