Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 03:16 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,459,644 times

Advertisements

I believe in reincarnation but not in a spiritual way as I am agnostic. I wanted to post what I believe reincarnation is to see what people thought about my idea.

The big question is what makes us who we are? I have to say I don't believe in souls so I think its how our genetics, genes etc., come together to form our consciousness. So the question is how difficult is it for all that to come together for us to be born? If its not to hard then it could happen every 100 years or so? If that's the case then we could be reborn about 100 years or so after we die.

However, lets say its really hard for everything to come together so we are born. Lets say the chances of that happening is once for every googol squared by a googol universes. I say this because science has found that our universe is not unique and that universes have been being formed for a infinite time before ours has and will for a infinite time after ours has ended. Now since perception is reality this time around we were lucky that things happened just right and we were born. Once we die that might not happen for a googol squared by a googol (or more) universes but since we are not alive we are not aware of those universes. For us we die and its like a snap and we are born again with no memories of the previous life but start out on a new journey, one that will be different then this time. Since this will go on for infinity we will always be alive but will never know that and think every time we live is our one chance at life.

Here is the definition of Googol:

A googol is the large number 10^ 100. That is, the digit 1 followed by one hundred zeros:

10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 ,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,0 00,000,000,000,000, 000,000,000,000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 03:44 PM

659 posts, read 1,101,915 times
Pleased to Nietzsche!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_return#Friedrich_Nietzsche

Old 07-15-2011, 04:02 PM

Thank you! I wonder how many time in past universise's have I posted that and you answered my question? I guess it would be a infinite number of times.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:08 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,634,329 times
"And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:" Hebrews 9:27 KJV

It doesn't matter what we believe. Truth is independent of opinion.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
"And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:" Hebrews 9:27 KJV

It doesn't matter what we believe. Truth is independent of opinion.
This is true. There is only one truth and none of us really know what that truth is. If my theory is right then we will never know because we die and live our life over again and never realize we do that.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:37 PM

659 posts, read 1,101,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
This is true. There is only one truth and none of us really know what that truth is. If my theory is right then we will never know because we die and live our life over again and never realize we do that.
Personally I believe that our consciousnesses dissolve and reform constantly in a cycle of rebirth, but in that process we're constantly picking things up and losing them. Think of it like waves crashing on the beach- each life is a wave that travels its distance, hits the beach, and then flows back into the ocean to mingle back in with the rest of the water. It may have picked up some sand or things from the beach, it may have left a few things on the beach, or both, or neither. Eventually when conditions are right, a new wave will form, and a lot of that same water from the first wave and whatever is in it will be part of said wave.

So in essence, you'll come back again and again, but never exactly the same as you, in the same exact time or place, with the same opportunities to experience the same things as you have now. And that's why it's a good idea to do as much as you can with the life you're living right now.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavemaster View Post
Personally I believe that our consciousnesses dissolve and reform constantly in a cycle of rebirth, but in that process we're constantly picking things up and losing them. Think of it like waves crashing on the beach- each life is a wave that travels its distance, hits the beach, and then flows back into the ocean to mingle back in with the rest of the water. It may have picked up some sand or things from the beach, it may have left a few things on the beach, or both, or neither. Eventually when conditions are right, a new wave will form, and a lot of that same water from the first wave and whatever is in it will be part of said wave.

So in essence, you'll come back again and again, but never exactly the same as you, in the same exact time or place, with the same opportunities to experience the same things as you have now. And that's why it's a good idea to do as much as you can with the life you're living right now.
That was my first theory on the subject but I had some questions it could never really answer. The main one being what is our conscious?

Old 07-15-2011, 05:05 PM

591 posts, read 641,369 times
Probably the biggest thing Christianity shares with Buddhism is that both Christians and Buddhists live their lives with the phylosophy that they experience different kinds of deaths and rebirths throughout one's lifetime. When a Christian goes to Jesus, they spiritually die, and go through a kind of in-between until they rise again on the last day. Buddhists have been teaching that phylosophy since the beginning. In order to become a Buddha, you must first experience a spiritual death and rebirth, and Christians have always said that only through Christ(death-to-life) can you be saved. It's the same thing.

I think Jesus was sent here to shephard the flock to the phylosophies of the far east. THe Jews didn't speak openly about the spirit. If Jesus said something like "Since the beginning of time, I am." to the Roman or Jewish community back in the day, he'd likey get stoned to death for saying it. If he said the same thing to Tebetan Buddhists, they'd be like, "You too?!" The phylosophies of Tebetan Buddhism and Christ go hand in hand. THey are the perfect marriage.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:22 AM

290 posts, read 388,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I believe in reincarnation but not in a spiritual way as I am agnostic. I wanted to post what I believe reincarnation is to see what people thought about my idea.

The big question is what makes us who we are? I have to say I don't believe in souls so I think its how our genetics, genes etc., come together to form our consciousness. So the question is how difficult is it for all that to come together for us to be born? If its not to hard then it could happen every 100 years or so? If that's the case then we could be reborn about 100 years or so after we die.

However, lets say its really hard for everything to come together so we are born. Lets say the chances of that happening is once for every googol squared by a googol universes. I say this because science has found that our universe is not unique and that universes have been being formed for a infinite time before ours has and will for a infinite time after ours has ended. Now since perception is reality this time around we were lucky that things happened just right and we were born. Once we die that might not happen for a googol squared by a googol (or more) universes but since we are not alive we are not aware of those universes. For us we die and its like a snap and we are born again with no memories of the previous life but start out on a new journey, one that will be different then this time. Since this will go on for infinity we will always be alive but will never know that and think every time we live is our one chance at life.

Here is the definition of Googol:

A googol is the large number 10^ 100. That is, the digit 1 followed by one hundred zeros:

10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 ,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,0 00,000,000,000,000, 000,000,000,000
Hello
Question: If you don't believe in souls, instead believing that the person is made up their genes, then how is the person reincarnated? Which aspect of them moves into a new body if the genes of the new body are different from the genes of the old body and the person is DNA? If genes form consciousness then isn't each individual body with it's individual genes an individual being?

Or have I not understood your theory?

Old 07-16-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpidrAkirE View Post
Hello
Question: If you don't believe in souls, instead believing that the person is made up their genes, then how is the person reincarnated? Which aspect of them moves into a new body if the genes of the new body are different from the genes of the old body and the person is DNA? If genes form consciousness then isn't each individual body with it's individual genes an individual being?

Or have I not understood your theory?
That is a good question and is the part that took me the longest to figure out. I first heard this theory about 10 years ago and since then have been trying to figure it out so I can fully understand it.

The main question is what makes us who we are? I don't believe in souls instead I think its how our neuron's connect and I think genetics and genes have a lot to do with it. For me the big hurdle has been how difficult is it for all this to happen just right so we are born? My uncle thinks it is very difficult and only happens once. He made a good argument and for a long time was a main reason I did not believe in reincarnation. However I had one question that he could not answer. Why are we alive now? I mean with the trillions of years this universe will exist why is it the 80 to 100 years that I am alive? So while it made sense what he was saying it did not fully feel right. Then I started thinking about multiple universes and how they go on for a infinite amount of time. So if as my uncle said its very difficult for everything to happen just right so it would take a googol squared by a googol universes for us to get lucky again and be born and there is a infinite amount of universes it will happen. Most of the time we are not alive so we are not aware of time but only aware of time when we are alive. That means our perception is we are always alive. So that answers my one critical question that could never be answered, why now? Its now because as far as we are concerned we are only aware of when we are alive and that perception is our reality.

I hope this answers your question.......

Last edited by Josseppie; 07-16-2011 at 02:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality