Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 08:46 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times

Advertisements

I'm curious, of course, and that is why I'm asking.

I'm confused about how the devil ties into your theist lives. Do you really believe you have to battle the devil or is it just a story, an example of anything bad in your lives?
I've recently run into some people who take the devil literal and would like to know which religions take the devil to mean an actual spirit you battle, and which ones(religions) think of it as just a story that represents "evil" doings.

Plus, being atheist I hear that I represent the devil to some. That I spread his word somehow. Which theists believe this?
I of course don't believe in the devil which would make sense to me since I don't believe in God but to some they think I am doing his work some how by not believing in God.
I can see why they might think this but I believe in the devil about as much as I believe in God which means I don't, it's ridiculous to me.

So, what exactly is the work of Satan? Curiosity got me again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 09:02 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,807 times
One can easily disprove the existence of Satan with one simple assumption that is not far fetched (even for an atheist).

Saint Thomas of Aquinas set out to prove the existence of God in the 13th century by postulating a theological Big Bang.

Cosmologists accept they don't know what was there at time zero before the BB. In essence they are no different than Aquinas. So we could postulate that perhaps there is a creator that initiated the BB (until cosmologists come up with an alternative).

If God created the universe then God could be called an omnipotent and omnipresent force that occupies every single atom of the universe. If we accept that we could postulate that from a metaphysics point of view Satan cannot coexist with God. It would not be unreasonable to assume that in our universe there would not be a Satan. However, we cannot say the same about a parallel universe.

Another easy manner to disprove Satan is to analyze the so-called creation of man by God. And to do this we must set aside evolution for the sake of this discussion. If God wanted to create MAN in a perfect manner he would be obligated to give MAN free will. To create MAN with no free will would be an imperfect creation.

The mere existence of free will negates the existence of Satan. The moment that evil is not authored by MAN, but by the influence of Satan we lose free will.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:11 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,388,856 times
You'll get about as many different answers to this as people who answer your thread, probably.

Biblically, satan and devil are two different things and they aren't proper names, but simply nouns. The word satan means adversary and the word devil means false accuser or one who is opposed to God's purpose.

You could go all sorts of ways with that, though. Quite a few Christians do actually think of the devil/satan as a being, a "fallen" evil angel who is in a power struggle with God to win as many souls as possible. Others think of devil/satan as a literal being that is basically a tool in God's hands, being used for the purpose of testing and trying people.

Another theory is, as you said, symbolism for whatever is evil or in opposition to good/God. Or, as the "false accuser"/devil, anyone or anything that would falsely try to convince people that they are guilty before a God who has declared that he doesn't hold people's sins against them. That could be another person, a religious doctrine, or even oneself.

Some people think it refers to that within each one of us which is in opposition to good/God.

Those are the ones I've personally heard and believed at various times in my life. I'm sure there are other ideas floating around.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:15 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Plus, being atheist I hear that I represent the devil to some. That I spread his word somehow. Which theists believe this?
Some Christians believe that atheism is a threat to their fundamental beliefs. So they need to rationalize that threat as coming from Satan.

It's really that simple.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 04-02-2012 at 09:24 AM..

Old 04-02-2012, 09:16 AM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
I am a Christian.

I believe that Satan is a real being; that he was created; and that he originally lived in heaven but was cast out of heaven when he rebelled against God. He is totally sinful, deceptive, and powerful. I believe that he is the leader of a vast host of evil spirits who seek to keep unsaved people lost, and to divide and deceive individual Christians.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:17 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,197,496 times
A fictional character, or something people say as a joke to describe a bad person.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:18 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
I'm glad (and proud) to say I have a personal relationship with Satan. He is my good friend.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I'm glad (and proud) to say I have a personal relationship with Satan. He is my good friend.
One could say you enjoy freedom.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:53 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
One could say you enjoy freedom.
My favorite song is the Rolling Stones' "Sympathy For The Devil".

Old 04-02-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
My favorite song is the Rolling Stones' "Sympathy For The Devil".

What is good old Satan doing these days? When you sold your soul to Satan---------how much money did you get?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality