Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 01:29 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,337,554 times

Advertisements

Why do your children ask you the same question year after year? If you don't teach religion to your children, why do such questions even come into their heads?

I took my two older kids to church 3 times a week, and they never asked such questions around Easter because we only celebrated it as a time when we hunt eggs and hang with family.

I agree with other posters. You're teaching your children to stereotype. I have a problem with a lot of people from the last congregation I attended, but I would never say everyone from there is bad.

When my 9 year old asks why we don't go to church, I explain it to him, but never involve hate.

Everyone says Christians brainwash their children into believing the way they do. Are you not doing the same? We can all say we want our children to use their own brains and decide for themselves what is true, but honestly, we tend to lean toward teaching them what we believe is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 01:35 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,364,339 times
Pam,

I'll I can say is Amen to your words!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Jesus actually had nothing to do with chocolate bunnies, easter eggs or hot cross buns.

The bunnies come from the pagan festival of Eostre, her symbol was the hare.

The exchanging of eggs is multicultural.

Both represent fertility.

Hot cross buns can be traced back to the ancient Israelites. They used them as an offering, they're similar to Pagan simnal cakes.

Chocolate, now that is truly the food of the gods.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:20 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,206,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
Pam,

I'll I can say is Amen to your words!!!!
Thank you Julian!

And I agree with your earlier post, we should never teach our children to hate. They'll learn all about that on their own.

With regard to religion, we should teach them tolerance, that people have a right to believe as they choose even if we don't agree with it.

We should also teach them to do their own research, question what doesn't add up.

And finally, we need to let them follow their hearts and find the path that is right for them.

That's how I raised mine.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:27 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,946,622 times
I don't recall my kids ever having a question prompted by a holiday.

They do occasionally have a question after attending the only reliigious events they ever attend -- namely, weddings and funerals. But even those questions only come after I casually ask them what they thought of this reading, or that rite.

Then they get this wide-eyed "What was up with that?" expression ...

Old 04-05-2012, 06:19 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,364,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
I don't recall my kids ever having a question prompted by a holiday.

They do occasionally have a question after attending the only reliigious events they ever attend -- namely, weddings and funerals. But even those questions only come after I casually ask them what they thought of this reading, or that rite.

Then they get this wide-eyed "What was up with that?" expression ...
In my experience, Christmas was the holiday that inspired the most questions...

How does Santa fit down that chimney? How does he make it so every house in the whole world on one night? etc...

Our OP has issues I hope he resolves before his kids do too.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:30 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,206,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

How does Santa fit down that chimney? How does he make it so every house in the whole world on one night? etc...

I told mine that he had a handy dandy Star Trek transporter, pocket sized of course, and that he could bend the laws of time and space. Pretty much like football games do.

They bought it, they had no choice but to believe. At the time, we didn't have a fireplace.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:52 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,435,199 times
Happy Easter kiddies

Old 04-05-2012, 08:46 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,910,347 times
Just tell the kids Happy Ishtar or better yet Happy Resurrection Day this coming Sunday.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:14 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,846,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
I told mine that he had a handy dandy Star Trek transporter, pocket sized of course, and that he could bend the laws of time and space. Pretty much like football games do.

They bought it, they had no choice but to believe. At the time, we didn't have a fireplace.
Why not just go ahead and tell them the resurection story then? What makes one falsehood more acceptable to tell our children than the next? This is a question I have often pondered..... those unwilling to "brainwash" their children with the fantasies of heaven and the streets of gold, are often the same ones who let there young ones believe in a mythical old man in a red costume that brings them presents every year.

Is it because they will eventualy grow out of believing in SC, but there is a real danger that a belief in Jesus will never go away?

Old 04-06-2012, 11:29 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,441,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Shame on you for wanting to turn the impressionable minds of children into thinking that an entire group of people are nothing but bad people who are out to get them and their money. just shame on you. This is no better than the fundies that lied to me growing up when they they told me Atheism = evil devil worshippers who are moraly bankrupt. Why don't you just present the facts and leave the mud-slinging to the politicians? These are children you are talking about. The things you teach them now will be carried with them for the remainder of their lives, and instead of showing them the flaws of religion you are just going to spew hate by the sound of it.

You know what? Take them to that church. You might be surprised how many are good people...... deluded, but good.
bingo.

i disagree with the some of the last sentence, as there are also good, undeluded people at church. but the rest of the post is spot-on.

people go to emotional extremes when dealing with an institution or culture that they have had bad experiences with. and very often they end up targeting other institutions and cultures as collateral damage, simply because they cannot tell the difference between them.

that just ends up perpetuating ignorance and hatred on both sides, and then you end up in a ridiculously polarized society like we have today!

so, OP, if this is what you want, feel free to ramrod your kids down this course to being brainwashed. if not, maybe you ought to show them how to be the better person that can actually resist the temptation to do the same bad things that you are accusing the church-goers of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality