Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 07:59 PM

63,799 posts, read 40,068,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Or don't give a rat's ass about.

If you observe a particular day or season as part of your religion, is it somehow required for the satisfaction of those who don't observe that you add a disclaimer to your holiday greetings to acknowledge a historical feature of your celebration?

We could have Hallmark design cards that say,

"While our family knows that Saturnalia was REALLY here FIRST at this time of year

and in fact was only the latest in a long line of winter/solstice celebrations

and note that we want to make it clear that we don't wish to insult the ancient beliefs of pagans dead for centuries now-

we want to celebrate our own spirtual beliefs of light and hope at this time

and so we wish you a MERRY CHRISTMAS!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Lol, pure gold!
Couldn't agree more!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 10:09 PM

431 posts, read 474,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
We have original holidays, we just chose to put them near the holidays of other religions and pagan holidays. Christmas is unique to christianity. We didn't know the actual birthdate for Christ so the church chose to place it near the winter solstice celebrations to give Christians something to celebrate while the rest of society celebrated. I see nothing wrong with that.

Someone feel free to pick apart this list but I'm going to go with Christmas (we're the only ones with a birth of a savior), Easter (we're the only ones who have a savior who died for us), all saints day, ash wednesday and good Friday. I think they are unique to Christianity. Their placement just coincides with other religious holidays for whatever reason the powers that be chose it to coincide.
no i see nothing wrong with *christians * sharing the same time for celebrations as other beliefs (or non ) sharing is always good when your nieghbor is having a yard sale and you put your items out on the front lawn for sale at the same time thats good thinking
what is annoying is christians claiming xmas as THERE OWN and getting all pissed of when folks say happy holidays instead of merry christmas .
the season is for EVERY BODY to enjoy in their own way all religions all races nobody can claim is as thier OWN .
but i agree easter , good friday and ash wednesday are unigue to that faith

Old 04-09-2012, 09:54 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Lots of people don't know, especially not most children. It wouldn't do any good to let them know that these customs are non-Christian and have nothing to do with Christianity, would it?
Sure it would. Knowledge and education are always better than ignorance.

My parents didn't think the way you do--they were Christian, and we talked about the origins of the holidays/practices at home. Again--more than 40 years ago.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:26 AM

677 posts, read 851,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
Really? Well then surely you could give us some examples.
Sure. "Jesus loves me this I know, for the Bible tells me so."
So I contend that any posit of Christology in which the subject of the sentence is Jesus. Any theological statement concerning the relationship of God in Jesus is quite original. A confession of the heart surely would be original, but that is of no use if it also isn't authentic.
I would just add that, and of course this is merely opinion...I can't see much originality in most movements of arts and letters. It is either post-something or neo-this and retro-that. Within all movements are fantastic examples of originality and tons more, which is no more than mediocrity in the flesh.
And then I think that Luther's simul iustus et peccator was pretty original Christian thought.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:44 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Naw, just their own area at Disney Land and Disney World............. Fantasy Land where reason, reality and intelligence are left in the little cubbies at the entrance, just like the cubbies for shoes at the McDonalds Playplace

Old 04-10-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Naw, just their own area at Disney Land and Disney World............. Fantasy Land where reason, reality and intelligence are left in the little cubbies at the entrance, just like the cubbies for shoes at the McDonalds Playplace
What, pray tell, might you be referring to? Please expound on this interesting theory!

Old 04-10-2012, 08:26 PM

431 posts, read 474,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stokes View Post
What, pray tell, might you be referring to? Please expound on this interesting theory!
to know what he is talking about you have to think out of the box

Old 04-10-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnA151 View Post
to know what he is talking about you have to think out of the box
So far there is nothing to suggest that he has thought outside of his little box. You are quick to judge about someone you know nothing about, sir. So far I haven't judged anyone.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:11 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Native Americans do not have gods. Yes they have spiritual and divine beings, but religion and god is not part of their perception and vocabulary.

I disagree take the Coyote in many tales he IS the creator himself. Old man Coyote impersonates the Creator.

Sedna is also Goddess. The Inuit goddess of the sea and the creatures that inhabit it.

Kwatee, The man who changed things". The creator of people, and destroyer of monsters.

Check out a book called American Indians and Myths and Legends. By By Richard Erdoes, Alfonso Ortíz. You might be surprised.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:40 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,932,822 times
Holi-day means Holy Day.

Yes, every Day is my Holy-Day to God.

I desire to count every day as being a celebration of Him.

A holy day with others? Nope I don't have one.

Shopping, Cleaning, Decorating, Cooking and Cleaning up again?
To celebrate with others of what I've done for them?
Nope I gave up on these Holidays for them.

I like celebrating what God does for me, instead.
That's my Holy-Days
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality