Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: define the nature of "god"
has a body and image like jumans, but older and immortal 1 2.70%
is pure spirit but a living entity nonetheless 1 2.70%
is the ultimate cosmic reality, personal god 3 8.11%
is female , represents life and rebirth on earth 0 0%
exists in some form, but specifics cannot be known 6 16.22%
is a personal higher power, but left for individual definition 3 8.11%
is the self, we as humans are gods 1 2.70%
does not exist in any form 15 40.54%
exists, but not involved in human affairs 1 2.70%
is nature, living energy of all plant and animal life 6 16.22%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 02:33 PM

120 posts, read 118,777 times

Advertisements

god is very much used to control jsut as much as religion is... relgion cannot exist without the concept of some higher god power that we must follow , conform to , and be controlled by..
i am not saying that religion or the thought of god is evil .. i am simply pointing to the fact that believing in a GOd or whatever image or kind.. is a choice and not all people have accepted this choice to believe in waht is being taught.. its a philosophy.. WE have life.. we dont need a philosophy.. Life is in us whether we believe in a god or not..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 02:47 PM

10,603 posts, read 11,625,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
To an atheist, both God and religion are definitely man-made beliefs.

I understand that an atheist could make a mistake of putting the two together and not meaning to be disrespectful, but the two are separate and let me explain.
Religion is a man-made, culture based doctoring that guides its people in the practice of spirituality. Religion is a good thing that in some cases has had bid consequences on some individuals spiritually. Not because religion is bad, but because it was applied in a bad way.
Because religion is man-made and culture based, it naturally has some of the rules and taboos of that particular culture built into it. Unfortunately for some, many cultures have chosen to use the fear of God to enforce the man-made rules of that culture. Such is the fate of Christianity and Islam.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:54 PM

120 posts, read 118,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I understand that an atheist could make a mistake of putting the two together and not meaning to be disrespectful, but the two are separate and let me explain.
Religion is a man-made, culture based doctoring that guides its people in the practice of spirituality. Religion is a good thing that in some cases has had bid consequences on some individuals spiritually. Not because religion is bad, but because it was applied in a bad way.
Because religion is man-made and culture based, it naturally has some of the rules and taboos of that particular culture built into it. Unfortunately for some, many cultures have chosen to use the fear of God to enforce the man-made rules of that culture. Such is the fate of Christianity and Islam.
Hi ptsum,

i mean no disrespect in any any any way to you or any others either, You say that religion is man made.. but cane a possiblilty that god is also a concept made by Man? i dont conscide my self and athiet or theist or whatever other title that we give ourselves and eachother. i am merley Life. without titles..

All i am pointing to is that Perhaps/maybe God is just a belief that lives in the mind also.. not necessarily a bad thing, but a concept/belief non the less.. can this be a poosiblilty?

Old 04-08-2012, 03:10 PM

10,603 posts, read 11,625,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemagician View Post
Hi ptsum,

i mean no disrespect in any any any way to you or any others either, You say that religion is man made.. but cane a possiblilty that god is also a concept made by Man? i dont conscide my self and athiet or theist or whatever other title that we give ourselves and eachother. i am merley Life. without titles..

All i am pointing to is that Perhaps/maybe God is just a belief that lives in the mind also.. not necessarily a bad thing, but a concept/belief non the less.. can this be a poosiblilty?

No disrespect taken, anything is possible and it's good to have an open mind. I am not a believer in any man-made religion, I am a Spiritualist, I believe in the spirit of a Creator which can be interpreted in many different ways and I believe that we have the capabilities and the freedom of thought to do just that, no two people think exactly the same way, so because of that, we each have our own path to follow when it comes to our belief or non belief, that is our choice and none are wrong and all are right. In the end it is our choice.osay

Old 04-08-2012, 03:20 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,104,133 times
I voted for the last option.

The second choice from the bottom would have been my next pick.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:49 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,032,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I voted for, is a personal higher power, but left for individual definition. Now as a Native American you may find that a little strange and would think that I would've voted for the last one, about nature. But both can be interpreted as the same, the personal higher power could be that of nature and as far as the individual definition, that is what most Native Americans believe, it can be an energy force of nature and still be left to our own individual definition. I believe that no matter what your belief is, it's personal.
Woot, I second[ed?] that! But I think a lot of people's personal believes could use an upgrade.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:56 PM

366 posts, read 772,749 times
Default There's only one "god definition"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I would like to see how many different definitions of "god" there are This can include any definition or concept of "God" "the gods" "godess" Supreme Being etc etc base your answer on what you believe. There is no right or wrong answer, this is just a poll to see how many variations of the "god definition" there are out there. Thanks
God is the ALPHA and the OMEGA/ YIN and the YANG of what is, what will be, and what never was.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:57 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,846,487 times
Personaly I dont believe in the existence of a God character but if I did, I would say the below definitions best describe it:

*exists in some form, but specifics cannot be known

*exists, but not involved in human affairs

Old 04-08-2012, 05:01 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,846,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiansheng_g View Post
God is the ALPHA and the OMEGA/ YIN and the YANG of what is, what will be, and what never was.
If the multi-verse theory proves to be correct than there would be nothing that "never was" every possible outcome of every possible situation has played out in some universe or another.

Just think, in some universe far far away beyond my reach, I am the richest man in the world...... I can dream can't I?

Old 04-08-2012, 05:56 PM

7,571 posts, read 6,028,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
I wasn't sure how to vote so I didn't. I belove God is love, in which It has no form yet we can know It's Divinity. I believe It is Love in It's purest form and that we are a product and creation of that love. I believe that we, as our true self, have no form as well. What we see here on earth is merely a manifestation of our individuality and personality. Once we die, we will return to our true form to evolve into pure Love although still a product of the original God (Love).
Rev, it only let me put up 10 choices, I was trying to cover a variety or faiths, and you are right, that should have been one of the choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality