Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 12:28 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,501,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah888 View Post
Really, well I dont know what your reading, but Jesus was born in Nazareth whichNazarethHebrew transcription(s) • Hebrewנָצְרַת (Natz'rat or Na'tzeret; Naṣ'rath in Biblical Hebrew)

Nazareth ( /Natzrat or Natzeret; Arabic: اَلنَّاصِرَة‎ an-Nāṣira or an-Naseriyye) is the largest city in the North District of Israel. Nazareth is known as "the Arab capital of Israel"; the population is made up predominantly of Arab citizens of Israel, the majority of whom are Muslim.[2][3][4][5] In the New Testament, the city is described as the childhood home of Jesus, and as such is a center of Christian pilgrimage, with many shrines commemorating biblical events.

READ History then the bible.

Sarah
Oh it exists now. But it was purposely populated after Jesus was said to have died. It wasn't a city when Jesus was said to be alive.

The expression 'Jesus of Nazareth' is actually a bad translation of the original Greek 'Jesous o Nazoraios' - 'Jesus the Nazarene'. Nazarene wasn't a place, it was a description of the Jewish-Christian sect – a faction, or off-shoot, of the Essenes.

But I would appreciate Daniels, Whoppers, Mirca, or some other person knowledgeable about this issue to chime in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 12:34 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
[b]We as creationist believe and have seen many facts and evidence.
Fact are supported by verifiable evidence. Where is your verifiable evidence for 'creation'?

Quote:
With an Atheist regarding debate and or discussion it will be semantics, muddling along with ignoring any post with history or evidence then they twist and distort there reasonings which are absurd, they act as if nothing was ever presented to them.
Damn!!! That's another irony meter gone!!!

Quote:
Really, well I dont know what your reading, but Jesus was born in Nazareth
The verifiable objective evidence says that there was no Nazareth in the first century CE...and even if there was, it was certainly not a 'city' as described in your 'infallible' Bible nor was it even big enough to have a synagogue as your Bible claims.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:34 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,991 times
Odd thing all this. I had heard of "Catholic Fundamentalists," but never saw the words of one until now. They sound like Protestant Fundamentalist/Evangelicals who go to Mass. Having been brought up in Cistercian and Jesuit schools in the 60s and 70s, this is really an odd thing for me to read. I simply cannot imagine any of the Cistercians or Jesuits speaking in a literalist way.

I bet these are the same people who see Vatican II as an invalid council, all Popes elected since Vatican II as being invalid and that Modernism promotes heresies.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Matthew 2:2 Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king

I thought you know all about the Bible. Hmmm.

Whoops!!!!!!!! More evidence that fundies know very little about what they proclaim to be 'Truth' (capital 'T' for added effect)

Nice catch Mensa

Old 05-14-2012, 01:02 PM

Sarah seems to have gone into hiding after that Nazareth faux pas!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Old 05-14-2012, 10:52 PM

Sarah....come back! We won't laugh at you, well not much anyway!

Old 05-15-2012, 04:00 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Sarah....come back! We won't laugh at you, well not much anyway!
Thanks for that. It is a forgivable slip.. and I'm sure we would all love to hear ourselves and all our vaunted Bible -knowledge shown to be false by Sarah's extensive Bible- knowledge ...I'm not being sarcastic...really...don't del......gooooooooooooooooo

Old 05-15-2012, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Thanks for that. It is a forgivable slip.. and I'm sure we would all love to hear ourselves and all our vaunted Bible -knowledge shown to be false by Sarah's extensive Bible- knowledge ...I'm not being sarcastic...really...don't del......gooooooooooooooooo
She's probably over in the Xian forum at this moment telling all the adoring acolytes about how little atheists know about the Bible!

Old 05-15-2012, 07:38 AM

166 posts, read 140,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
That depends what you consider as 'evidence'. If you consider the 2000 year old ramblings of desert sunstroke victims - edited and altered over time by people with an agenda for power and control - as 'evidence' then you could say there was evidence, though it is neither objective nor verifiable.

Only according to your Bible and a splatter of other religious works

History that is verifiable can't be rebuked. If your Jesus stories contained any verifiable evidence then they would be very difficult to rebuke it, they don't and therefore are very easy to rebuke.

They are believers...just like you!

...and these 'miracles' would be - what exactly.

It's not 'fact', it's nothing more than your BELIEFS.

Stay over in the 'Christianity' forum then.

...but if you do stay, PLEASE stop bolding your text. It's not necessary and it doesn't make what you are saying any more believable. All it does is make extra work in editing to answer you.

Yes, Jesus of Nazareth existed as a historical man. No, he was not a theological construct. There are enough historical witnesses to verify this as fact.
Lee Strobel did a great job answering this question in his book The Case for Christ. with convincing evidence on this subject and educational research.

Yes, Jesus was a real, HISTORICAL person. Read Josephus, the historian and orthodox Jew who speaks of Jesus. 4th Century monks can be thanked for our writings from Josephus. He was real. Even if you don't believe He was the Son of God, there are established histories that place Him there at the time.

After summarizing the references to Jesus Christ and his followers by the historians of the first two centuries, The Encyclopedia Britannica (2002 edition) concludes: These independent accounts prove that in ancient times even the opponents of Christianity never doubted the historicity of Jesus."

Sarah

btw, I type in bold to see better

Old 05-15-2012, 07:41 AM

166 posts, read 140,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post

You lack wisdom so you have nothing. You cannot comprehend or understand biblical history with just a bit of knowledge, also you
need to learn about the historic Jesus first, then you may grasp, absorb and understand the Man/God.

Sarah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality