Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 11:16 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times

Advertisements

Are these two religions the same thing? What do Seventh Day Adventists and what do Sabbath Keepers believe anyway? I'd like to know.

Thanks

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 11:54 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,463,034 times
I'm not so sure about the Sabbath Keepers but I know the Seventh Day Adventists are pretty wacky. They originated in the 1800's when some nutjob called William Miller predicted the end of times to occur in the 1840's (1844 if I remember correctly). This fanatical movement grew and grew until the fated day of the year Miller had prescribed.

In fact, I recall one story where some idiot threw himself from the top of a barn at the stroke of midnight because he thought he would vanish into thin air and be carried off to heaven. Even the most religious people in this forum would probably agree that wasn't the brightest move in the world. Needless to say, as the story goes, the idiot died. In fact, he was one of the first Darwin Award recipients and that was about fifteen years before Darwin published his works!

Anyway, as this cult grew and grew, the day of the "End Times" came and to everyone's shock and awe... nothing happened. The cult became largely dissuaded from William Miller after this and most of them disbanded. The few remaining crackpot lunatics formed what is now called The Seventh Day Adventist Church.

Their beliefs are pretty much the same as most evangelical simple-mindedness. Everyone is a sinner. There will be a trial, jury, and subsequent acceptance or denial in regards to your heavenly entry. They are ultra-conservative (to the point of idiocy). It's basically another "chip off the ol' block" of your every day religious lunacy.

On a high note, they are focused on diet and health among their followers which, I suppose, is probably a good thing and probably why you don't see too many of them where I live in Mississippi.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:58 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,782,776 times
I have a couple of friends that are Adventists and I know they serve on Saturday. I am guessing the Sabbath keepers do the same? This is also why Jewish people serve on Saturday.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:10 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,731,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I'm not so sure about the Sabbath Keepers but I know the Seventh Day Adventists are pretty wacky. They originated in the 1800's when some nutjob called William Miller predicted the end of times to occur in the 1840's (1844 if I remember correctly). This fanatical movement grew and grew until the fated day of the year Miller had prescribed.

In fact, I recall one story where some idiot threw himself from the top of a barn at the stroke of midnight because he thought he would vanish into thin air and be carried off to heaven. Even the most religious people in this forum would probably agree that wasn't the brightest move in the world. Needless to say, as the story goes, the idiot died. In fact, he was one of the first Darwin Award recipients and that was about fifteen years before Darwin published his works!

Anyway, as this cult grew and grew, the day of the "End Times" came and to everyone's shock and awe... nothing happened. The cult became largely dissuaded from William Miller after this and most of them disbanded. The few remaining crackpot lunatics formed what is now called The Seventh Day Adventist Church.

Their beliefs are pretty much the same as most evangelical simple-mindedness. Everyone is a sinner. There will be a trial, jury, and subsequent acceptance or denial in regards to your heavenly entry. They are ultra-conservative (to the point of idiocy). It's basically another "chip off the ol' block" of your every day religious lunacy.

On a high note, they are focused on diet and health among their followers which, I suppose, is probably a good thing and probably why you don't see too many of them where I live in Mississippi.
This post just made me laugh, man

Old 02-28-2010, 07:20 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,044,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
I have a couple of friends that are Adventists and I know they serve on Saturday. I am guessing the Sabbath keepers do the same? This is also why Jewish people serve on Saturday.
please explain what you mean serve on Saturday and why.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:02 PM

187 posts, read 918,982 times
Default The truth of these wacky lies....

I must admit that ignorance for many is bliss but for me I am appalled at such ignorant and outright lies in this entry. For disclosure purposes allow me to admit that I am a Christian Seventh-day Adventist. First allow me to correct the terminology used, it is actually Seventh-day Adventist and not Seventh Day Adventist. This is very important so as not to place more emphasis on a day but the purpose of who we are and what we believe.

I have also witness and fellowshipped in Baptist, Catholic, Methodist and Lutheran, and Apostolic/Pentecostal churches but found myself always back at my Seventh-day Adventist church. Yes our history is somewhat blemished with several events to which some us are not the most proud of but I am not ashamed of it. It is no different from saying America was a racist, segregated, money hungry country without acknowledging the realities of the many changes we have made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I'm not so sure about the Sabbath Keepers but I know the Seventh Day Adventists are pretty wacky. They originated in the 1800's when some nutjob called William Miller predicted the end of times to occur in the 1840's (1844 if I remember correctly). This fanatical movement grew and grew until the fated day of the year Miller had prescribed. The Millerite Movement consisted of many parts and the SDA Church was not founded at this time

In fact, I recall one story where some idiot threw himself from the top of a barn at the stroke of midnight because he thought he would vanish into thin air and be carried off to heaven. <<<<<This story had no relation to the Seventh-day Adventist Even the most religious people in this forum would probably agree that wasn't the brightest move in the world. Needless to say, as the story goes, the idiot died. In fact, he was one of the first Darwin Award recipients and that was about fifteen years before Darwin published his works! Wow a human being is misled, dies and this is funny? If this is the cause of atheists, thank God I am a Christian!

Anyway, as this cultAccording to webster: cult is great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work... In other words all religions can be characterized as cults, even our jobs, sports lovers or people part of political parties. America is filled with cults ha ha ha [/i]grew and grew, the day of the "End Times" came and to everyone's shock and awe... nothing happened. The cult The Millerites, not to be mistaken with the Seventh-day Adventist Church which later was established became largely dissuaded from William Miller after this and most of them disbanded. The few remaining crackpot lunatics formed what is now called The Seventh Day Adventist Church. This is actually a lie ladies and gentlemen. The Seventh-day Adventist Church was founded in 1863 which was many years after the 1844 Great Disappointment. Furthermore, the founders of the SDA Church were part of the Advent Movement which consisted of a group of several preachers from different religions who subscribed to similar if not the same beliefs about the return and coming of Jesus.

Their beliefs are pretty much the same as most evangelical simple-mindedness. Not true Fundamental Beliefs Everyone is a sinner. There will be a trial, jury, and subsequent acceptance or denial in regards to your heavenly entry. Read the book of Daniel and Revelations and this is the basis of such truth and belief They are ultra-conservative (to the point of idiocy). ignorance is bliss: the local church has it's very own unique style of worship and service. Some churches are conservative, others liberal and others who embrace the power of God's Holy Spirit throughout their services. You also forgot to mention that most SDA's are well educated, respected law abiding citizens. The US Senate Chaplain is a SDA, Clifton Davis, actor is an ordained SDA pastor, R&B grammy award winner Brian McKnight is a SDA, many SDA's hold elected office positions It's basically another "chip off the ol' block" of your every day religious lunacy.

On a high note, they are focused on diet and health among their followers which, I suppose, is probably a good thing and probably why you don't see too many of them where I live in Mississippi. Amen. God desires us to have a clean and healthy body (temple) in order for him to dwell within and for us to be healthy for ministry and to do his will. Since when did eating right and being fit become a sign of lunacy? I would assume this is why America is so fat and obese. It should also be noted the average SDA lives seven years more than the general life expectancy due to our diet and way of life. This is supported by a study done several years ago in California. Have a blessed evening!

Old 03-26-2010, 07:55 AM

310 posts, read 589,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Are these two religions the same thing? What do Seventh Day Adventists and what do Sabbath Keepers believe anyway? I'd like to know.

Thanks

20yrsinBranson
Here's a few facts about SDAs for you:

They are biblical literalists, they are YEC'ers who believe the fossil record was put in place by god as a test of faith, most of them are vegans or vegetarians (and if not, tend to hide their meat eating from fellow church members), they don't use anything with caffeine in it (sinful), they don't drink alcohol or smoke, many won't read fiction (it a 'lie'), they don't wear jewelry or makeup (sinful)abortion is a sin unless health of mother is on danger or in case of rape or incest, birth control is a sin, they don't go to movies, they don't dance, most of th think modern music is satanic, they believe that when you die you don't go to heaven but have 'soul sleep' until the second coming of Christ when everyone gets resurrected and taken to heaven or hell, et cetera.

They are pretty much raving fundies even compared to fundies. Oh and they have this so-called prophetess who plagiarized most of her writings and whose epileptic seizures are viewed as "visions" and they follow her bizarre writings as if they were also scripture. It's a tossup whether or not they're a cult.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:55 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
I think you got it backwards. The Jewish Sabbath observed on the seventh day of the week (Saturday under our present calendar) is why the others do it. And the Jewish observance of Sabbath on the seventh day comes directly from the Book of Genesis, chapter 2, verse 3:

And God blessed the seventh day, and hallowed it, because that in it He rested from all His work which God in creating had made.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:18 AM

22 posts, read 59,799 times
The Sabbath is from sundown Friday night to Sundown Saturday night because this is the day God chose as the Sabbath, the day of rest, from the beginning in Genesis. It's also found through out the Bible and was so important in fact, that it was written with the finger of God in the Ten Commandments. It is the sign between the one true God of Abraham, Issac, and Jacob and His people. That is why the SDA's and "Sabbath Keepers" keep the Sabbath, to be obedient unto God.

As far as other beliefs, it depends on which group you are talking about. There are several "denominations" out there that observe the Sabbath such as 7th Day Baptists and there are others who are Torah observant keeping all of God's laws such as some Messianic Jewish groups, Non-Trinitarian Torah Observant Christians, Church of God, and several others. Some of the common beliefs among the, in addition to observance of the Sabbath include an observance of the Holy Days of God instead of the traditional pagan holidays, observance of the dietary standards (no pork, shell fish, etc.).

Hope that helps to clarify things a bit more.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:27 AM

200 posts, read 308,173 times
The Jewish tradition is the correct one. The Sabbath is the last day of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality