Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 08:23 AM

5,298 posts, read 4,591,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
Although I'm married, & still attend religious meetings, I often stand alone in my beliefs & it's lonely.
I don't want it this way, which is why I keep trying to connect with others - to learn from them & to teach what I've learned. I recently practically got kicked out of my mom's house (I don't live there, I was just visiting) because I was trying to help her understand that the LDS church is mishandling tithes, even according to scripture she supposedly believes in. She said, "I don't believe you." I replied, "It's not me! It's scripture!" and told her again about Deut 14:28-29 which states that 1/3 of tithes are to be given to the poor & how the LDS church leaders purposefully left this out of scripture search guides & do not share a cent with the poor but have specifically instructed members to pay extra (beyond the 10% of their incomes that they pay to them) for those in need. Matt 25, Jesus gives the parable of the talents, with which some try to justify that Jesus would buy a Mormon shopping mall. Yet after that parable of the unwise servant who hid his talent, Jesus teaches the parable of dividing the sheep from the goats... & how we treat others, we treat God - if we neglect others, we neglect God & we're held accountable.

The problem is that often people engage in bi-polar thinking, which IMO, is done by both Atheists and Theists.... Either the god of theology exists, or not. What about other options? Could it be that the many corrupt hands that created scripture canon corrupted the definition of God?
Jesus taught, "The kingdom of God cometh not with observation, the kingdom of God is within you." (Luke 17:20) This makes sense...How can YOU experience anything else outside of yourself? And our gods are not usually called "God" - but it still is that which we worship, or are obsessed about.
Yet, many, Theists and Atheists alike, deny this basic concept.

Well I think both concepts of Tithes are wrong, theirs and yours. The new covenant is for giving, but it does not include the Tithe, or the " Percentage in giving", one simply gives as they desire or are able, they are no longer obligated to give a percentage; the obligation in giving has been removed. God would rather one to give from their heart, whenever and whatever they give.

And I disagree with " The Kingdom being within doctrine", Luke 17:21 does not say the Kingdom is within humans, Jesus plainly stated that the " Kingdom of God is in your " Midst", plainly refering to himself as this Kingdom standing amoungst them. The Kingdom being within humans now is a serious misinterpitation of what Christ plainly stated.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:25 AM

2,468 posts, read 3,131,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Read this sentence again sans: Now, take a TRUTH like "God Exists", and back it with "ad pop"...and you've got the ultimate.
I didn't say it was wrong.
I said, even if it was...ad pop would put it on top anyway.

But I know the REAL answer as to why the Atheists are so obsessed with the Theists----It's Gods "mojo" working on you.
Nothing has "mojo" like God...and the Atheists prove it by posting obsessively about it.

I could never imagine seeking and entering into debates about people/things I didn't believe exist, or ever existed.
A passing dismissal maybe...but weeks, months, YEARS of untold hours over a "fairytale character"?!

I know, I know...it would seem that to do that for something that one considers to be nonexistent would be an illogical thing to do.
But see, you AREN'T illogical...just influenced by His essence that is within you...His "mark on your heart"...because you are functioning with a life energy, a spirit, that came from Him!

See, God compels you...to write about Him, talk about Him, contemplate Him.
Keep writing, "God-God-God-God-God-God-God"....you couldn't stop even if you wanted to...the "mojo" is too strong.

Keep logging onto this site and posting to these threads...put in more hours, more days, more weeks, more months, more YEARS...put up ANOTHER few thousand posts.
The power of God compels you...the blood of Christ compels you...the force of the Holy Spirit compels you...you couldn't stop if you tried with all your will...to do so would be to overcome the power of the entire universe!!

But let not your heart be troubled sans...you could not be contemplating and obsessed about anything of greater importance than GOD!

God can only be passionately denied in the name of God... since God is passion/obsession/ultimate concern.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:25 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,214,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah888 View Post
Why are we here, what is our purpose.? Science does not have any evidence, for creation or its origins just hypothosis and theory.
Those are far more elucidating than a simple godunnit explanation. At least these have evidence, what has creationism got? Nothing.
Quote:
Faith is not based on evidence, even if we have many things to back our
beliefs.
That is why it is called faith
Quote:
Medical miracles happen everyday, all sorts of miracles do occur along with much phenomenon that science cannot and will never explain that is a fact .!
Yeah the medical miracles of medicine are awesome. Pity your god is unable to intervene w/o the aid of modern scientific medicine. Even see a theist when they discover they have cancer? I have my mother, she was scared out of her wits.
Quote:
Lots of things cannot be reasoned or explained by science, however we except this as proof that God does exsist and is in control of the Universe. He shows us this. some fail to see it.

Sarah
Nope he shows us nothing, theists merely connect the dots when there aren't even dots to connect. Most of these "proofs" are no more convincing than random chance, it really comes down to if something turns out good and someone heals them self, it is god is good and when the opposite happens it is a mystery.

Of course, with this mindset, god can never fail.

*points to east Africa and starving kids and asks* Instapoof god all powerful to create all is powerless to intervene, why?

Please do not use free will argument as free will is a myth.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:26 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
Originally Posted by sarah888
Quote:
These are called false prophets which we are warned about in the bible.!
Be that as it may but that doesn't mean that these 'prophets' did not have faith. According to your definition of faith they must have had it.
They were just wrong.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:27 AM

166 posts, read 140,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
Its not just a Faith issue, the bible itself advises that its believers " Prove all things." When dealing with Atheist or unbelievers you cannot expect your faith to be understood and accepted, you must debate the facts as you see them; in such cases faith is almost meaningless to them. It may not be meaningless to you, but if you would debate based on faith alone, how is that going to penertrate a faithless person?

You must first ask yourself if you knew there was a GOD, would you want to know him anyways.?

I dont debate belief in God on faith alone, I dispute or refute Atheism regarding a GOD with apostolic succession , forefathers, church leaders, historians, biblical scholars along with history etc. etc., faith first yes, however we have much testimony and witnesses along with evidence of miracles , medical, etc. etc,. which science will never penetrate or explain. We have a reason for A GOD . Atheist do not have a reason why a God should not exsist.

Sarah

Faith in a debate with Atheist is a misnomer , its not a communication method with intent to penertrate anothers consciousness, its just an expression of whats in your consciousness.

Any debate is a form of communication, as each wants to get his or hers views into the discussion or topic at hand. God has to come into your heart whatever way he chooses to do so. I cannot make you believe in God, as you cannot make me believe there is NO GOD. I can only show you my purpose for being here or why we do exsist.

Sarah

Old 04-30-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Most humans cannot help but believe in God for one simple reason: the fear of death. That's why it's very difficult for people to be impartial about belief in God.

Death is the ultimate taboo. Humans fear being separated from their loved ones. Religions throughout history have known this all too well.
Good point, BigDreamer.
Except, I don't think it's just Theists that engage in coping mechanisms regarding the enevitability of death. We all do!

Old 04-30-2012, 08:29 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times
Quote:
I cannot make you believe in God
You could by presenting evidence. You people never do though. You can make me believe ANYTHING with evidence.

Quote:
you cannot make me believe there is NO GOD.
Nor do I wish to. I am content with merely pointing out that your claims are unsubstantiated and baseless in order to prevent anyone else from buying into them. What you believe I could not care less.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:30 AM

166 posts, read 140,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by sarah888 Be that as it may but that doesn't mean that these 'prophets' did not have faith. According to your definition of faith they must have had it.

They were just wrong.
They are misled by a so called man made doctrine of faith, which
mainstream christianity does not profess or concur with.

Most christians do not know when Jesus or the end times will occur
however we are warned of signs of the times, so to speak.

Sarah

Old 04-30-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
OTOH...all those posts does prove your obsession...even if being amused is a by-product.
So, good job...continue to march!

Oh, BTW...I'll be the first one to admit I'm kinda "nuts". But it's cool...I like being this way.
Thank you too sans.
LOL "Good job...continue to march!"

We're all a little nuts, but the most nutty ones are those who don't realize their nuttiness.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
So, I guess if I use your one argument (AD Pop) and since I have way more posts than you do, I must be right, and you wrong....Have I got that right?

You're nuts if you think I am in anyway obsessed with god...I am here for the entertainment...Not just on the religious forum, by the way....I post in many others as well.....I just love reading about some of the ridiculous things that people like you and others like you believe...It always makes me feel good about my decision to leave all this nonsense behind me...You, golden are always good for a laugh, and I haven't thanked you....So here it is, thanks for the entertainment, and the laughs...
Great marching, Sanspeur - & with so much charisma!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality