U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2009, 06:17 PM

6,564 posts, read 13,036,719 times

Advertisements

Amish and Mennonites have one key factor in common with Catholics in my experience:

Neither group ever bothers me about religion.

That's all I ask of Christians. Therefore, I get along great with them, and wish them good things. The Anabaptists in our area of Washington (Old German Baptists and Hutterites) can be insular, but I understand the reasons for that, having lived near a lot of Amish and Mennonites as a child in Kansas. My best bud in elementary school was Mennonite (mainstream version). His dad had been raised Old Order Amish, but wasn't willing to embrace that way of life.

Mennonites get a lot of respect back home for their disaster relief program. Truly an appreciated service to others, and often in their hour of greatest need.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 08:49 PM

3 posts, read 14,414 times
Default Mr. E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
Mr. E,

Welcome to the world of CD. I am the original poster of this thread and while it is over 1-1/2 years old and of no real concern to my personal life, I still find the situation a curious one. Perhaps you can shed some light on it for me.

Do you have any children? Did you raise them as Mennonite or Catholic? Can you explain to me why a Mennonite mother (or father) would object to their child playing with a child of Catholic upbringing?

This thread pops back up occasionally and still makes me go .

Thank you for any insight that you might add.

weather...
<><
Weatherologist,
First off, I apologize for misspelling religion. We have no children. If we did, we would raise them nondenominational. Mennonites as I know them, the ones I grew up with, are very tolerant especially toward Catholics. I do not have the foggyist notion why a Mennonite would not want his/her child playing with a Catholic child. That took me by suprise as well. The reason I am on, and appreciate, this net is because I wish to learn about Mennonites from Nonmennonites. Mennonites often are not as articulate as ppl from other denominations.
Mr. E.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:13 PM

6,564 posts, read 13,036,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. E. View Post
The reason I am on, and appreciate, this net is because I wish to learn about Mennonites from Nonmennonites. Mennonites often are not as articulate as ppl from other denominations.
Did you really mean 'articulate'? I've never found them inarticulate. Reticent, yes, even very reserved--but hardly inarticulate.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:53 PM

3 posts, read 14,414 times
Default Mr. E.

Dear All,
Yes I mean inarticulate.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:28 AM

2 posts, read 7,429 times
Found this thread by accident searching for more info about Mennonite beliefs and practices. I am protestant and live in a very heavy Mennonite/Amish area of PA. Since we built our home 5 years ago, we had a Mennonite family move in next door. Our children are close in age and are playmates. I worry how things will go as the kids grow. I've already seen some teasing when a bunch of their Mennonite freinds are over (presumably for a bible study/gathering) when all the children are outside playing and they tease my kids, who they come looking for on any other day. They do not have a TV and I will not allow them to watch ours when they come over. I told the mother that upfront so she knows I respect their religious views. The kids do bring up religion...by singing songs and asking if my kids went to Sunday School. (which mine do, so we can keep up with their questions at this point). Their children go to a private Mennonite school and will not be mainstreamed with my kids at the public school. It will definitely be interesting to see how the kids interact as they get older.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:40 PM

13,856 posts, read 24,124,247 times
Some of the most conservative Mennonites are a bit separatist and do not want their kids exposed to certain things. I wouldn't really call this intolerant. They're not angry you're Catholic or Presbyterian or whatever they just don't want to expose themselves to certain things they deem wrong. So that a Mennonite family might not want contact with a Catholic one is a bit unusual, but not that unusual.

However what I am perplexed by is this. If a family had a separatist Mennonite/Amish outlook why would they place an ad in an apparently general service? There actually are Mennonite and even Amish newspapers out there. By putting it in a general service they had to know they could get responses from any denomination, including ones that accept things they deem sinful or offensive.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:03 AM

4,391 posts, read 4,415,615 times
"Christian Family looking to offer free babysitting."

A christian should be willing to help someone regardless of their religious beliefs.
The person should have left the word "christian" out of their ad

Old 12-16-2009, 10:58 AM

6,098 posts, read 11,491,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
OK, I know this is really out there, and maybe this should be in the parenting thread, but I just have to know...

I answered an ad from a mom that simply read, "Christian Family looking to offer free babysitting." Now, this is very unlike me to answer such an ad.
And I would never consider dropping my children off at a stranger's house. But I have been looking for an outlet for my youngest and myself. With school back in session, he and I are home alone and I felt he needed some younger socialization. I have looked for Mom's Day Out programs and such, but to no avail. So when I found this ad, I thought it may be an answer to my problem. My first response from the mom placing the ad sort of asked to clarify that I was, in fact, a Christian and then she asked a few more questions. I responded by letting her know that, yes, we were a Christian family and then I also felt it was necessary to tell her that we were Catholic. I just got that 'vibe'. This is a direct quote from her...Amish/Mennonite beliefs are more conservative than most Protestant beliefs, as well, but Catholic beliefs are really far different for us. She stated that she was sorry that she was not more clear in her ad and that she was looking for a Protestant family and that they were more Amish/Mennonite. And followed it with the above quote. Now I ask you, are the differences in faith so far out that even children cannot play together? She said that she felt her child might bring up their faith in conversation or something like that. Her child is 3.75 years old. I don't know!!! I'm just beside myself that someone would shelter their child like that. Or is it my child she is sheltering?

Thanks for any thoughts or encouragement.
I've lived around the Amish and Mennonites most of my life and its not a matter of sheltering their children as much as it is to keeping with in their faith. They don't believe in the "Virgin Mother Mary" as one to pray to. The priest has no power to forgive, only God and the Lord Jesus does. The Church is only a building, its the body that's the pillar of God. EVERYONE works for the good of the community and family. Honoring thy Father and thy Mother and the Father is the only head of the household. Laziness is never tolerated, even to the point that the Mennonites don't believe in having tires with air in them on their tractors. Cars are only to be used when absolutely necessary, other than that you ride a bike or walk. The old orders of the Amish have even more stricter rules when it comes to the colors of the clothes to wear, head bonnets for the ladies and hats for the men. Mennonites can use outside electrical power, where the Amish must generate their own and only for commercial use only at their place of business. And all of this is based on their deep religious beliefs. Their are those ladies that love to have children around them at all times and are great care takers of those children. But for one to want them to baby sit their children just so they can have time to themselves and not so they can work for their families needs is selfish for the most part. Everything these ladies do is always for the family's well being. They believe in prayer for all their needs, but they believe that you most work for it first, them ask for God to give you more strength to keep working for it. Not asking of God to do everything for you first and then you jump it and finish it up and take all the credit.
I have the utmost respect for these folks and I love doing business with them. They will be the true survivors if something was to happen to all the power grids in the world and the cities were to come to a grinding halt. Why? Because they know what it is to work hard for a living and what it means that the family must come first at all times. And that only God's word and guidance can help them to do the job right.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:04 PM

2 posts, read 7,429 times
Funny update....the night I posted this, my neighbor called us and asked if their youth group could come over and sing Christmas Carols to us. We were delighted! There was a group of 15 or so middle school aged- high school aged kids and they sang us afew songs in 4 part harmony. I was very impressed with their vocal training and delighted that they thought of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality