Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 09:23 AM

297 posts, read 899,357 times

Advertisements

What I never understood is what Christianity meant when the Bible said that we shouldn't be "lukewarm."

Whereas, it seems as if Buddhism is advocating a lukewarm attitude, by teaching how to just accept things the way they are and avoid overbearing, passionate emotions.

Is there a conflict here? Could someone clear this up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 09:38 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
most christian sects seem to preach absolutes. You are either with god or the devil and can't be in the middle, for example. It's a way of forcing people to take a side, and of course the church hopes it's theirs.

But life isn't accurately definable in absolute terms. Here Eastern religions do a bettter job than Christians.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:52 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Isn't that the biggest Buddhist selling point?

No guilt trips, no warnings, no right or wrong.

Do whatever you want, yet meditate for 2 hours and attain enlightenment

Old 12-18-2009, 10:16 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,575,309 times
Read Revelation 3:16 and subsequent verses where the church at Laodicea was lukewarm to give you a better understanding..

Old 12-18-2009, 10:19 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,116,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post

Chamataka, I’ve seen you display this attitude before.
You seem to be very upset at Buddhism.
I believe you know very well that Siddhartha Gautama did not teach that there was no right or wrong behavior.

Did you run across some strange sect that claimed to be teaching Buddhism that way, or are you blaming all of us for that kick in the head you got from a shou lin.

Last edited by Aeroman; 12-18-2009 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: I do not break bricks anymore, I have enough half bricks.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:31 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,799,273 times
Quote:

Actually, "the golden rule" and other moral codes & teachings existed in Buddhism many centuries before Christ.

Quote:
As opposed to Christianity's do whatever you want and then spend ten seconds asking forgiveness from Jesus.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:13 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
Chamataka, I’ve seen you display this attitude before.
You seem to be very upset at Buddhism.
I believe you know very well that Siddhartha Gautama did not teach that there was no right or wrong behavior.

Did you run across some strange sect that claimed to be teaching Buddhism that way, or are you blaming all of us for that kick in the head you got from a shou lin.
Buddhism can not get me upset. It's the warped understanding the West has of Buddhism which has been my long term source of <yawn>

It's always been like how kids go to the amusement park and find the huge rubber thing and cry out in joy, "Hey, look, it's a dinosaur"

WoW. Buddhism. I'm just enlightened. I looked outside of my window. The leaves are green. Therefore, I appreciate life and peace.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:23 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,116,704 times
Quote:
Buddhism can not get me upset. It's the warped understanding the West has of Buddhism which has been my long term source of <yawn>

It's always been like how kids go to the amusement park and find the huge rubber thing and cry out in joy, "Hey, look, it's a dinosaur"

WoW. Buddhism. I'm just enlightened. I looked outside of my window. The leaves are green. Therefore, I appreciate life and peace.

Ok, I think I see were your coming from now.

“WoW. Buddhism. I'm just enlightened. I looked outside of my window. The leaves are green. Therefore, I appreciate life and peace.”
Yes, I have also seen this type of approach.
And although I appreciate life and peace someone that thinks Buddhism is going to make life like Disneyland for them is certainly living in delusion.
Meditation can help calm the mind and even help the body heal better. But one must learn these techniques then put them into practice. It takes work.
That could be why Zen is more appealing to many.
I also don’t know were people come up with an idea that meditation means your supposed to be there sitting thinking of nothing….
The times I’ve sat with the Zen they never lead a meditation like that. Sitting and observing mind, body, what’s going on around you, without judgment, maybe that’s where people get the idea of thinking of nothingness.
I myself am not looking for enlightenment. Just a more peaceful and calm mind. And that can make life much more enjoyable.

Cheers,
Aeroman

Last edited by Aeroman; 12-18-2009 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: Trying not to be to serious about life, after all, I’m just going to die anyway.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:33 PM

28,092 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avant-garde View Post
What I never understood is what Christianity meant when the Bible said that we shouldn't be "lukewarm."

Whereas, it seems as if Buddhism is advocating a lukewarm attitude, by teaching how to just accept things the way they are and avoid overbearing, passionate emotions.

Is there a conflict here? Could someone clear this up?
I don't really know anything about Buddhism, so I'm not going to try to explain the Buddhist perspective. In terms of Christianity, however, I think that the admonition not to be "lukewarm" simply means that we should take a firm stand for what we believe and be truly committed to what we claim to be important. In other words, talking the talk doesn't cut it. It's the way we live that really matters.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:44 PM

20,440 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
As opposed to Christianity's do whatever you want and then spend ten seconds asking forgiveness from Jesus.
As long as you're sincere, that's true. However, life & death seldom work out so neatly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality