Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 09:01 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,926,084 times

Advertisements

I am curious if any of you believe the Biblical Joseph, the son of Jacob (AKA Israel) was in Egypt?

Is lack of evidence proof he never was in Egypt and that the writers of the Bible just made up the story of Joseph being a leader in Egypt?

Last edited by Eusebius; 04-18-2012 at 09:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 09:08 AM

114 posts, read 112,419 times
Yes. I believe he was. How much real evidence is there for any Prime Minister of Egypt?

But since you asked: Joseph's Tomb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would encourage you to use Google. It is a helpful tool.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:09 AM

869 posts, read 1,491,377 times
Like "father" of Jesus Joseph? Im not familiar with the biblical tale, but I did read Christ the Lord out of Egypt. And believer or not, I am well aware that Jesus was a real person and thus based on what I have read of the bible and what I have read in various books, I would tend to believe that Jesus and his entire family lived in Egypt for a time.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:12 AM

869 posts, read 1,491,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
Yes. I believe he was. How much real evidence is there for any Prime Minister of Egypt?

But since you asked: Joseph's Tomb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would encourage you to use Google. It is a helpful tool.
While Google is a helpful tool, and wikipedia can very often provide a jumping off point, Wikipedia is, without finding additional evidence (though citing sources makes that easier), deemed completely untrue. Any person can add or take away from Wiki, if they sign up to be a contributor. So any information taken from Wiki should be heavily reviewed and a backup source of legitimate information needs to be sourced.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
Like "father" of Jesus Joseph? Im not familiar with the biblical tale, but I did read Christ the Lord out of Egypt. And believer or not, I am well aware that Jesus was a real person and thus based on what I have read of the bible and what I have read in various books, I would tend to believe that Jesus and his entire family lived in Egypt for a time.
I am talking about the Joseph who was the immediate son of Jacob (AKA Israel), Genesis 37 to 50 inclusive.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:18 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,156,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I am curious if any of you believe the Biblical Joseph was in Egypt?
Where would you expect to find such historical evidence other than in the Bible. I absolutely believe it.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:19 AM

114 posts, read 112,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
Joseph was someone in the Old Testament that was sold into slavery by his brothers, who were jealous of him. His father favored him over them. He eventually reached the position of Prime Minister of Egypt through a series of events. I encourage you to read about him -- Genesis 37-50. He eventually saved his family and ultimately the nation of Israel by giving them a place to move to (Egypt) during a time of famine. Years later, we have the story of Moses and the Exodus as the Israelites leave Egypt after they had been enslaved by a bad pharoah that didn't remember the treaty that was arranged to have them live there.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:23 AM

2,742 posts, read 2,643,601 times
Story of Prophet Yusuf/Joseph (pbuh)

This is the most detailed and fascinating story in the Quran, involving both human weaknesses such as jealousy, hatred, pride, passion, deception, intrigue, cruelty, and terror as well as noble qualities such as patience, loyalty, bravery, nobility, and ...Story of Prophet Yusuf/Joseph (pbuh)

Old 04-18-2012, 09:26 AM

The Quran was written around 610 some A.D. It is not the "proof" I was looking for.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Where would you expect to find such historical evidence other than in the Bible. I absolutely believe it.
An archeological find would be helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality