Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 08:00 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,868,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Catholic divorce rates are comparatively low.

Catholicism also encourages engagement-encounter to prepare couples for marriage and doesn't recognize marriages after divorce. .
"Catholic divorce rates are comparatively low."
Not really Catholics tend to trend very closely on most issues as protestants..
Exclude the Bible Belt and you would most likely see no difference on divorce.

As a divorce Catholic who has gone through Engagement- Encounter
I can tell you it is as lame as a program as Nancy Reagan's "Just Say NO to Drugs"

Having reestablish contact with many people I went to high school with on Facebook I can tell you my position is more of the norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 08:20 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
Quote:
In modern parlance "hate" includes "any criticism of what I love or what makes me happy." And it makes some sense. We Christians love God, so criticism of God can feel hateful to many of us. Still you probably can think a love or a pleasure is disordered, foolish, etc without necessarily being hateful. Maybe you can't do it without hurting someone, but simply being honest can be hurtful.

However the media comes fairly close to indicating we're all supposed to basically support each others pleasures as long as they don't hurt any visible person. Catholicism refuses to go along with that trend so we "must" get our noses smacked on occasion.
Thank you, Thomas, for the explanation. I never expected to find myself in alignment with the Vatican, but in this case, I have to admit that I would rather get my nose smacked than to go along with whatever the mob is doing now.

Don't get me wrong, I do not oppose gay marriage, contraception, abortion, or women's ordination, but I also do not think criticism is an expression of hatred. If we cannot express our opinions in a non-violent, not-threatening manner than we have no freedom of expression, and that is one of the country's founding premises.

I, and the Pope, will not be gagged by the whims of the masses.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:45 PM

737 posts, read 1,149,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DASULAR17 View Post
Here we go again with the disfunctional Papal bureaucracy nailing mostly squestered nuns (not all nuns) who are for the most part out of the loop of world affairs ,out of the loop of life and out of the loop of scripture all part of traditional insanereligion which they are victims . I love nuns as I was once Catholic and asside from one lay teacher in grade school I had sweet and loving nuns who were great teachers, My aunt was a Notre Dame nun and I have visited the retirement home in Wisconsin having a one on one meeting with my fifth grade teacher and organist at my wedding. Nuns lack a difficult to explain lack of empowerment ,latitude,voice and any sort of recognizable platform whereby "speaking out" hasn't been in their anticipated role, Most nuns are religated to a nunnreryalbeit convent having a redundant set schedule of prayer (often to icons as mediators not withstanding intercessory prayer to saints and dead Popes) Don't get me started. Anyway, with the phiosphical differences among priests ,nuns ,mother superiors not to mention the traditional views of the Catholic clueless flock expressing ones self as a nun could be traumatic as their wagon train is surrounded by indians.

Das

I think you mean cloistered. Those are not the nuns the church is talking about. They are talking about sisters that disent from church teaching.

Your aunt was a Notre Dame sister, not nun. Most people have never met a nun.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:14 PM

889 posts, read 825,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No need because . . . hell is already inside her and has been for millennia.
Well, I guess then Jesus was fool or a liar or both. Aka: Christianity = garbage.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:19 PM

889 posts, read 825,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
"Catholic divorce rates are comparatively low."
Not really Catholics tend to trend very closely on most issues as protestants..
Exclude the Bible Belt and you would most likely see no difference on divorce.

As a divorce Catholic who has gone through Engagement- Encounter
I can tell you it is as lame as a program as Nancy Reagan's "Just Say NO to Drugs"

Having reestablish contact with many people I went to high school with on Facebook I can tell you my position is more of the norm.
Maybe Catholics get a little more grace through their sacrament of Marriage. But what would you know about Catholicism with that twisted east coast secular slant.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:58 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,868,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
I think you mean cloistered. Those are not the nuns the church is talking about. They are talking about sisters that disent from church teaching.

Your aunt was a Notre Dame sister, not nun. Most people have never met a nun.
sister = nun

Old 04-21-2012, 08:59 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
This is merely an alignment of convenience with the American Evangelicals. After the debacle of paedophilia they really have been losing ground in asserting authority and/or influence in the last bastions of western civilisation where the church still holds much sway.

Getting on the agenda train for the GOP red meat issues like abortion and gay marriage is this a no brainer. However methinks the days of this alliance is on its way out and the RCC in Rome will lose yet another stronghold.

IMO this should happen sooner rather than later.
The RCC may be trying to get in line with American Evangelical (though I don't really think so), but Evangelical/Fundamentalists will never get in alliance with the RCC. They think the Pope is the Antichrist and the RCC itself is the Harlot of Babylon.

Quote:
Catholicism also encourages engagement-encounter to prepare couples for marriage and doesn't recognize marriages after divorce. Where I'm at the Catholic Church has even started running ads about marriage counseling and the importance of a successful marriage not just "go get married or else, don't worry about the consequences." Catholicism isn't Evangelical Protestantism, never marrying can be accepted too. So your point doesn't have validity so long as we're discussing nuns and Catholicism. If you want to go to the area where many of you are more comfortable, Evangelical Protestants, than by all means find the relevant threads for that.
To be honest, as a former Catholic, I never saw the point in getting marriage or child-rearing pointers from Catholic clergy. What could a celibate clergy possibly know about it? From what practical experience could they draw upon to give anyone advice? Theory is great, but it's remains theory and you can't know unless if it has any worth unless you have experience. If I was to go to clergy, I rather go to an Anglican/Episcopalian first...maybe a Lutheran, Presbyterian or Methodist. Of course I'd never talk to an Evangelical/Fundamentalist; I would be too tempted to slap them.

Last edited by Fullback32; 04-21-2012 at 09:15 PM..

Old 04-21-2012, 10:25 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
I think there is a value in an outside opinion. A married person might side with husband or wife too much depending on which they are in their own marriage. (That's going by my Mom's experience as she went to a married, Episcopal convert, priest. If she had it to over she'd likely do a traditional celibate priest)

Also I don't know how modern "engaged encounter" works. It strikes me as possible you also talk to other couples. (Addendum, you do talk to other couples)

http://www.engagedencounter.org/

Old 04-22-2012, 11:49 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Shocking and disheartening news coming out of the Vatican these days.

I'm worried about the Catholic Church. It seems to me they are out of touch with reality.
I think it's the death throes of a failing theocracy.
They hate women, as do all religions.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:23 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Well...the College of Cardinals made this guy Pope. They can't go back now and say the election was rigged!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality