Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 06:34 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,866,813 times

Advertisements

Bullying the Nuns
Garry Wills

The Vatican has issued a harsh statement claiming that American nuns do not follow their bishops’ thinking. That statement is profoundly true. Thank God, they don’t.

Now the Vatican says that nuns are too interested in “the social Gospel” (which is the Gospel), when they should be more interested in Gospel teachings about abortion and contraception (which do not exist). Nuns were quick to respond to the AIDS crisis, and to the spiritual needs of gay people—which earned them an earlier rebuke from Rome. They were active in the civil rights movement. They ran soup kitchens.

Bullying the Nuns by Garry Wills | NYRblog | The New York Review of Books
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 06:47 PM

496 posts, read 483,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
that is so untrue fundy Catholics are the most loud, just look at this forum.

They also come to Mass at my parish take notes and send in their complaints to the bishop, I have a cousin that is a pastor of a church back in Jersey that said the fundies are always the loudest and complain the most.
Its amazing, I was stunned last summer and early fall when checking out the CAF on line. I couldn't figure out why the media was creating the impressions. Sure lots of Church's shut down, Europe getting terrible statistics and so on....problem in translating these things is one forgets.....the ones being over-viewed have not forgotten at all and are experiencing life alongside the learning growing interior, which remarkably returns as it always does for meaning regardless. so the global climate in greed, tough job situations, two working....these all put pressures on people against an explosion of life style expectations...

fact is....one knows the value in something that can be relied upon....if that something is going to hold strong like this RC is...it can do nothing but be a force of attraction as...there is nothing in a nature of solidity, in the life experience which can compete...nothing. People gotta have something and it is not going to be an individual misguided translation...no, not at all...thats not how it works. nothing works like that. Boundaries ...even a spouse is a boundary. An embrace is freedom within an agreed, hopeful restriction...no?

Last edited by peter-1; 04-24-2012 at 07:14 PM..

Old 04-24-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Bullying the Nuns
Garry Wills

The Vatican has issued a harsh statement claiming that American nuns do not follow their bishops’ thinking. That statement is profoundly true. Thank God, they don’t.

Now the Vatican says that nuns are too interested in “the social Gospel” (which is the Gospel), when they should be more interested in Gospel teachings about abortion and contraception (which do not exist). Nuns were quick to respond to the AIDS crisis, and to the spiritual needs of gay people—which earned them an earlier rebuke from Rome. They were active in the civil rights movement. They ran soup kitchens.

Bullying the Nuns by Garry Wills | NYRblog | The New York Review of Books
Well that was a decent article because it slammed the idea in the Males driving around like big shots. Also I will vouch for the lack in education coming out from under that Huns theologian guy.( the trouble causer) Also saw an interview with a male clergy and he seemed off track.
Theres no doubt about the off centered regional issues and problems which beholds the comment that this overhaul is going to take about five yrs.

These issues however re a possible notion that Vatican is going to swing toward a change on respect for life and sanctity of life are simply not going anywhere. The kindness and goodness to the sick and poor have nothing to do with the theology in the vocation re sexual preference...they would be non-judgmental pure acts of charity which will never be dissuaded.
Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 04-26-2012 at 06:45 AM.. Reason: deleted about the nun per posters request

Old 04-24-2012, 08:56 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
These are my sisters (BVM - Charity). They do not generally wear habits and they are big on social justice, just as they were years ago when I attended Mundelein College where they were teachers.

Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary - Social Justice Overview

This organization was founded by a lay teacher at Mundelein in 1969 to help steer women who wanted abortions to safe and respectful clinics. The article is from the Chicago Reader in 1999

Sisters Against the System

Quote:
Jenny Knauss's awakening came when she taught at Mundelein College in the late 1960s. Because she was close to the age of her students—and most of the other teachers were nuns—she found herself being approached by often desperate young women in need of advice.

"The number of people who asked me to help them find out how to get abortions or to get information about family planning was overwhelming," she says. "I heard about an abortion being performed in one of the residence halls, and at one point some students asked if they could use my kitchen. I was extremely concerned. It wasn't only young women who were Catholic who didn't have that information—it was widely not known. I felt like I had to do something."

In 1969 she helped found the Chicago Women's Liberation Union, a group devoted to promoting legal abortions as well as equal rights for women. The group was also aligned with other causes of the era, such as the gay liberation and antiwar movements.
It is interesting to me as I had not been in catholic schools since kindergarten and 1st grade, so Mundelein College was quite a revelation.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:14 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Bullying the Nuns
Garry Wills

When are people going to recognize that 'organized' religion is all about telling the sheeple what to think. If that flies in the face of reason, oh well, here is what you are supposed to think.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
These are my sisters (BVM - Charity). They do not generally wear habits and they are big on social justice, just as they were years ago when I attended Mundelein College where they were teachers.

Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary - Social Justice Overview

This organization was founded by a lay teacher at Mundelein in 1969 to help steer women who wanted abortions to safe and respectful clinics. The article is from the Chicago Reader in 1999

Sisters Against the System

It is interesting to me as I had not been in catholic schools since kindergarten and 1st grade, so Mundelein College was quite a revelation.

It sounds like the neighborhood was having difficulties.

Last edited by peter-1; 04-24-2012 at 11:27 PM..

Old 04-25-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
When are people going to recognize that 'organized' religion is all about telling the sheeple what to think. If that flies in the face of reason, oh well, here is what you are supposed to think.
There is nothing wrong with organized religion, the problem is the way it is ran,top down; but you know the ones at the top do not want to relinguish their power

Old 04-25-2012, 04:11 PM

The LCWR will meet to discuss CDF assessment

https://lcwr.org/media/lcwr-board-di...cdf-assessment

Old 04-25-2012, 11:51 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
There is nothing wrong with organized religion, the problem is the way it is ran,top down; but you know the ones at the top do not want to relinguish their power
There is nothing wrong with organized religion, except for the way it is ran, top down; but you know the ones at the top do not want to relinquish their power, which is everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality