Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2012, 02:46 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,805,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
Well I am having trouble understanding you, perhaps another is better suited to answer you.
That's OK, I get a bit wordy at times, and I have butchered my own sentences in editing sometimes. Let me try again. In other words, when looking strictly at the physical evidence through Geology, paleontology, biology and genetics, we can only a conclude common ancestry. It screams common ancestry, whether it was 'from the mind of God" or not. Now, if that is not the case and it only appears to be that way, in that an honest scientific and objective investigation actually yields those results, then one would have to wonder for what purpose would it serve? Why would we have a creator who gives his people theological doctrines supposedly based on the special creation of all living things in pretty much their current form, but then voluntarily submits his creative will to the precise physical constraints of the evolutionary process without even the slightest pretense of fiat. Would you be ok with that?

In other words, again, why would God create every living thing to look exactly as if everything had a literal common ancestry, when it really doesn't? What purpose would that serve?

Last edited by PanTerra; 05-08-2012 at 02:58 PM..

Old 05-08-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Well I agree that the universe is around 14 billion years old, the earth at least 4.5 billion years old, so on second thought, it had to be in the billions .

My mistake; sorry about that.
OK, just wanted to make sure I was understanding you. But I must ask, why do you think that the universe and the earth are that old?

Old 05-08-2012, 02:55 PM

5,298 posts, read 4,585,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
In other words, when looking strictly at the physical evidence through Geology, paleontology, biology and genetics, we can only a conclude common ancestry, whether it was 'from the mind of God" or not. Now, if that is not the case and it only appears to be that way, in that an honest scientific and objective investigation actually yields those results, then one would have to wonder for what purpose would it serve? Why would we have a creator who gives his people theological doctrines supposedly based on the special creation of all living things in pretty much their current form, but then voluntarily submits his creative will to the precise physical constraints of the evolutionary process without even the slightest pretense of fiat. Would you be ok with that?

In other words, again, why would God create every living thing to look as if everything had a literal common ancestry, when it really doesn't? What purpose would that serve?

I understand; first can you explain what things do not have a common ancestry?

Old 05-08-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
OK, just wanted to make sure I was understanding you. But I must ask, why do you think that the universe and the earth are that old?

Science and scientific archaeology.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I understand; first can you explain what things do not have a common ancestry?
Living things? Not really. That's how it looks, so that is what I must conclude. I was kind of hoping you would explain what things do not have a common ancestry because that seems to be your contention. Maybe I wasn't clear again. It happens.

Last edited by PanTerra; 05-08-2012 at 03:09 PM..

Old 05-08-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Science and scientific archaeology.
Archaeology? Really? ...in assessing the age of the universe and the earth? How so? You do realize that it is the same method that led us to conclude the ages of the universe and the earth that led us to conclude common ancestry. Fancy that.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Archaeology? Really? In assessing the age of the universe and the earth? How so?
Archaeology is a dig into the past, and we can now carbon date what we dig.

And I can dig that; its understandable. Its belivable; Using incredible knowledge, like the " Roche limit", earths magnectic feild, earths rotation, Saturn cooling off, cambrian strata of rocks, the science is incredible in determing the age of things, and pointing to the fact that these things couldnot have always existed.

anyhow, off to work with me; sorry I misunderstood you.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Archaeology is a dig into the past, and we can now carbon date what we dig.

And I can dig that; its understandable. Its belivable;

anyhow, off to work with me; sorry I misunderstood you.
But the field of Archaeology doesn't address that much past at all. It only scratches the past regarding civilizations, which is only very recent. And its use of carbon dating i only for organics up to ~50,000 years old. We are talking billions. If you were to compress all of Geologic time into one year, the first modern man, Homo sapiens, would have finally arrived on the scene December 31 at 11:48 PM. http://www.uky.edu/KGS/education/geologictimescale.pdf Archaeology would be useless. It would be like weighing a truck on a bathroom scale. You probably meant to write Geology.

Last edited by PanTerra; 05-08-2012 at 03:25 PM..

Old 05-08-2012, 05:25 PM

27,508 posts, read 28,597,619 times
Quote:
The universe came first; however the earth was created later, we just don't know how much later; billions of years later is excessive in my view. If we determine it in our time frame, I think thousands of years later is more realistic, possibily in the millions.

And I do believe in evolution, and that God is the common ancestor.
I thought you accepted evolution, but then you said you believe that different kinds of animals and other life forms were created separately. That's not evolution at all. That's creationism.

According to evolution, all animals are distant biological cousins of one another. A dog and a cat have a common ancestor. An ape and a whale have a common ancestor. A bird and a lizard have a common ancestor. Animals change from one species to another over time, often over tens of millions of years. Fish evolve into reptiles. Reptiles evolve into mammals. And all animals and life forms eventually trace their ancestry to a single-celled organism that lived billions of years ago.

THAT's evolution. It was Darwin's original theory. If you don't believe this description of how the variety of life came to be on earth, then you don't believe in evolution.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:39 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,837,683 times
Quote:
Archaeology? Really? ...in assessing the age of the universe and the earth? How so? You do realize that it is the same method that led us to conclude the ages of the universe and the earth that led us to conclude common ancestry. Fancy that.
You've got him on the ropes PT. Careful now! His next move will be to claim that you have 'insulted' him and then he will ignore you...so that he doesn't have to answer the question. You mark my words now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality