Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 02:04 PM

141 posts, read 435,193 times

Advertisements

Per Torah and other books of Jewish tradition, Satan had love-hate relationship with the Hebrew deity named "YHWH" (aka Elokh/Elokhim/Eli, Adonai, haShem etc). On one hand, YHWH allegedly kicked Satan out of sight - out of mind when Satan refused to obey the order of bowing to this new contraption called "Adam". On the other hand, YHWH and Satan were making plans and running common projects such as temptation of Eve in a plot of evicting the human couple out of Eden and, most notoriously, the torturing of Job. Satan could not possibly keep doing what he's been doing unless it's all sanctioned, approved and signed off by the Supreme One. Satan is always there, always finding new ways to kick us off the course. That's why Muslims always ask for protection from Satan, nearly each prayer, moving towards the least vulnerable spot in the course of things, as far away from the "fallen angel" as possible. Because as cunning and as powerful as he is, if you lose protection from the Supreme One, you are fair game and open season for the Dark One.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 10:23 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
I actually find Satanism to be drastically more appealing than Christianity.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:24 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,134,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekie View Post
Per Torah and other books of Jewish tradition, Satan had love-hate relationship with the Hebrew deity named "YHWH" (aka Elokh/Elokhim/Eli, Adonai, haShem etc). On one hand, YHWH allegedly kicked Satan out of sight - out of mind when Satan refused to obey the order of bowing to this new contraption called "Adam". On the other hand, YHWH and Satan were making plans and running common projects such as temptation of Eve in a plot of evicting the human couple out of Eden and, most notoriously, the torturing of Job. Satan could not possibly keep doing what he's been doing unless it's all sanctioned, approved and signed off by the Supreme One. Satan is always there, always finding new ways to kick us off the course. That's why Muslims always ask for protection from Satan, nearly each prayer, moving towards the least vulnerable spot in the course of things, as far away from the "fallen angel" as possible. Because as cunning and as powerful as he is, if you lose protection from the Supreme One, you are fair game and open season for the Dark One.
No, Satan is not the dude in the OT, he is Angra Mainyu, or the destructive spirit from Zoroastrianism. Why I say this is because Judaism didn't really have a concept of an all encompassing destructive diety until they came into close connection with the Persians, from which they picked up this satan idea. Read about Angra Mainyu, he sounds pretty similar to what most Christians today think of as satan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfM View Post
Most people in here seem to be speaking only about Laveyan Satanism. There are other versions, such as Theistic Satanism (aka Traditional Satanism), which acknowledges Satan as a real entity and a real God worthy of worship. Laveyan emphasizes the "self" as the god; Theistic Satanism emphasizes Satan as a separate entity and god.
I have explored both and have chosen Theistic Satanism. I have been a part of this religion for many years and couldn't be happier. We are NOT the animal-killing, child-abusing, evil people that the media is portrayed to be. I am actually very proud of my religion and completely unashamed of it. Ask me and I will tell you! Haha!
However, maybe you can enlighten me, is the Satan you know Angra Mainyu???

Old 07-09-2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
No, Satan is not the dude in the OT, he is Angra Mainyu, or the destructive spirit from Zoroastrianism. Why I say this is because Judaism didn't really have a concept of an all encompassing destructive diety until they came into close connection with the Persians, from which they picked up this satan idea. Read about Angra Mainyu, he sounds pretty similar to what most Christians today think of as satan.

However, maybe you can enlighten me, is the Satan you know Angra Mainyu???
Really??? Not Satan??

Well, let's see the original Hebrew text of this book:

Quote:
...ויבא גם-השטן בתוכם...
Note the definite article to "שטן", that's definitely Satan came to see YHWH along with the others. Let's look further, there is a long commentary footnote:

Quote:
...ויהי היום - ויבא גם השטן בתוכם...
Duh! Also "the Satan". Alas, the very source does not agree with your Zorro fantasy It was Satan. The Satan. Like "Bond, James Bond"

Old 07-09-2013, 08:22 AM

5,355 posts, read 5,134,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekie View Post
Really??? Not Satan??

Well, let's see the original Hebrew text of this book:

Note the definite article to "שטן", that's definitely Satan came to see YHWH along with the others. Let's look further, there is a long commentary footnote:

Duh! Also "the Satan". Alas, the very source does not agree with your Zorro fantasy It was Satan. The Satan. Like "Bond, James Bond"
Maybe the Hebrew text has the original word "Satan", but the modern idea of Satan is much more closely related to the Zoroastrian one

Old 07-09-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Maybe the Hebrew text has the original word "Satan", but the modern idea of Satan is much more closely related to the Zoroastrian one
Yeah, another idea... So many of those, some more founded, some less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality