Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 07:39 PM

49 posts, read 146,981 times

Advertisements

All the ancient world religions have an idea of, belief in, or requirement for, sacrifice of some kind. However, the original 'Spiritual' meaning of the Law of sacrifice has, in most cases, been lost or misunderstood. The original Law of God required that each of us sacrifice (i.e. make Sacred / Pure / Holy) our own initial (i.e. ‘first-born’) animalistic (beastly / carnal / unspiritual) nature, through the purifying ‘flame’ (God’s Light) of Truth, in order that we might be ‘reborn’ (resurrected) into Spiritual consciousness (i.e. ‘True and Eternal Life’) – or, to put it another way, we must each abolish (‘kill’) our own (initially) ‘beastly’ (carnal) nature. This original and eternal Law was (and still is) falsely interpreted by various materialistic / literalistic priesthoods to mean that God requires the bloody slaughter of (‘first-born’ and ‘pure’) human or animal victims to absolve the sins of humanity! This is why orthodox Christianity has interpreted Jesus’ crucifixion in the same carnal way (i.e. as a ‘blood’ sacrifice for our sins).

The only way to achieve this genuine Sacrifice of the 'lower' self is through the practise of genuine Gnosis, i.e. Mystic Communion with the Light of God.

N.B. The word 'sacrifice' actually means (in its original usage): to make sacred - it had no connection with killing or blood.

What is your opinion about this interpretation?

Peace & Love
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 08:51 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,516,611 times
Why do you try to make the bible so hard to understand? I admit that I believe there are mistakes in the Bible and that may not be every bit inspired, because man is not perfect, so I believe that God did preserve what he wanted us to know and to believe in to strengthen our faith. It is perfectly clear that Jesus was the ultimate and final blood sacrifice as described in the old testament..Jesus was our blood sacrifice for the remission of our sins..

Old 09-16-2007, 10:15 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,237,991 times
Question Thou shalt not kill?

To be honest I never understood the need to sacrifice.
Isn't God a loving God? Why does He want to remind us that we should pay homage to Him via a sacrifice?
Or is this just His way of telling us that to eat meat you have to kill an animal?
That we should never take a life (any life) for granted?
That killing means choosing to live, but that we should never kill for fun only when it is absolutely necessary?

Old 09-19-2007, 05:22 AM

Question Any more opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Ben-Shema View Post
All the ancient world religions have an idea of, belief in, or requirement for, sacrifice of some kind. However, the original 'Spiritual' meaning of the Law of sacrifice has, in most cases, been lost or misunderstood. The original Law of God required that each of us sacrifice (i.e. make Sacred / Pure / Holy) our own initial (i.e. ‘first-born’) animalistic (beastly / carnal / unspiritual) nature, through the purifying ‘flame’ (God’s Light) of Truth, in order that we might be ‘reborn’ (resurrected) into Spiritual consciousness (i.e. ‘True and Eternal Life’) – or, to put it another way, we must each abolish (‘kill’) our own (initially) ‘beastly’ (carnal) nature. This original and eternal Law was (and still is) falsely interpreted by various materialistic / literalistic priesthoods to mean that God requires the bloody slaughter of (‘first-born’ and ‘pure’) human or animal victims to absolve the sins of humanity! This is why orthodox Christianity has interpreted Jesus’ crucifixion in the same carnal way (i.e. as a ‘blood’ sacrifice for our sins).

The only way to achieve this genuine Sacrifice of the 'lower' self is through the practise of genuine Gnosis, i.e. Mystic Communion with the Light of God.

N.B. The word 'sacrifice' actually means (in its original usage): to make sacred - it had no connection with killing or blood.

Peace & Love
No other opinions of the 'common' orthodox (literal) interpretation of sacrifice?

Old 09-19-2007, 05:52 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,201,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Ben-Shema View Post

Peace & Love
You have no concept of duality, is what I think. God does things both physically and spiritually. He is not bound by your definitions.

The Oxford English Dictionary defines gnosis as, 'A knowledge of spiritual mysteries.' So, you are saying we are to practice this knowledge in order to sacrifice our lower selves. This is incomplete.

Your explanation of the spiritual definition of sacrifice is correct, but also incomplete. I would like for you to explain in detail how "original and eternal Law was (and still is) falsely interpreted by various materialistic / literalistic priesthoods to mean that God requires the bloody slaughter of (‘first-born’ and ‘pure’) human or animal victims to absolve the sins of humanity". What is your authority for this statement? What is your proof that our 'common' interpretation is false? How have you, A. Ben-Shama, stumbled accross these spiritual truths and who told you of them?

Old 09-19-2007, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Your explanation of the spiritual definition of sacrifice is correct, but also incomplete. I would like for you to explain in detail how "original and eternal Law was (and still is) falsely interpreted by various materialistic / literalistic priesthoods to mean that God requires the bloody slaughter of (‘first-born’ and ‘pure’) human or animal victims to absolve the sins of humanity". What is your authority for this statement? What is your proof that our 'common' interpretation is false? How have you, A. Ben-Shama, stumbled accross these spiritual truths and who told you of them?
God (Elohim / Yahweh) is my authority. My proof is the Eternal Spiritual Word (= LOGOS). I discovered the Truth because I searched for it and was afforded the Grace of God.

You want some scripture to mull over? Try these:

JER.7:22-23 "For in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, I did not speak to your fathers or command them concerning burnt offerings or sacrifices. But this thing I did command them: Listen to and obey My voice, and I will be your God and you will be My people; and walk in the whole way that I command you, that it may be well with you."

HOSEA 6:6-7 "For I desire goodness, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God, not burnt-offerings. But they, like Adam, have transgressed the covenant: there have they dealt treacherously against me."

ISAIAH 1:11-16 "Why bring me the multitude of your sacrifices? saith Jehovah: I have no desire for burnt-offerings of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he-goats. When ye come to appear before me, who hath required this at your hand, to trample my courts? Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me; new moon and sabbath, the calling of assemblies,-- I cannot away with iniquity and the solemn meeting. Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hateth; they are a trouble unto me; I am weary of bearing them. And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you; yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear:
your hands are full of blood. Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil."

ISAIAH 66:3 "He that killeth an ox is as he that slayeth a man; he that sacrificeth a lamb, as he that breaketh a dog's neck; he that offereth an oblation, as he that offereth swine's blood; he that burneth frankincense, as he that blesseth an idol. Yea, they have chosen their own ways, and their soul delighteth in their abominations."

PSA.40:6 "Sacrifice and offering thou hast no delight in; Mine ears hast thou opened: Burnt-offering and sin-offering hast thou not required."

PSA 51:16-17 "
For thou delightest not in sacrifice; Else would I give it: Thou hast no pleasure in burnt-offering. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: A broken and contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise."

MIC.6:6-8 "With what shall I come before Jehovah, and bow myself before the high God? Shall I come before him with burnt-offerings, with calves a year old? Will Jehovah be pleased with thousands of rams, or with ten thousands of rivers of oil? Shall I give my first-born for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?
He hath showed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth Jehovah require of thee, but to do justly, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Peace & Love

Old 09-19-2007, 09:47 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,201,545 times
Default Isaiah 53...

7 He was oppressed and afflicted,
yet he did not open his mouth;
he was led like a lamb to the slaughter,
and as a sheep before her shearers is silent,
so he did not open his mouth.

10 Yet it was the LORD's will to crush him and cause him to suffer,
and though the LORD makes his life a guilt offering,
he will see his offspring and prolong his days,
and the will of the LORD will prosper in his hand.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:44 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,821,720 times
Trumping with scripture is wrong. Scripture is for edification and reproof.

Sacrafice= my loss and your gain.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:47 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,343,664 times
No more sacrifices are needed.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:50 PM

23,019 posts, read 34,393,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
No more sacrifices are needed.
AMEN! Jesus was the ultimate sacrifice, He paid it ALL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality