Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 09:25 PM

714 posts, read 813,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You know this? How?
I don't know it but I believe it. Sue me!

The idea of a soul is not radical. in the least.
Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 04-30-2012 at 06:08 AM.. Reason: rude/attacking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 09:35 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,499,963 times
Someone who gets dementia has a physical disorder that affects their memory, personality and behavior like most other physical disorder. The person cannot help they are getting the disorder. Their soul stays with them until their death when it (goes to it's reward) as they say.

My mother got dementia. She changed in front of me to a different person as far as her personality was but her soul was with her until her death. A priest who gave her Last Rights said she was a white martyr in the fact that she suffered so much before death. She probably went straight to heaven. Even if she could not think like before, does not mean that her suffering went unnoticed by God. If she got very mean---which my mother didn't, but some do---I believe God understands our handicaps and does not hold it against us.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:34 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,339,164 times
So, if the soul is the spirit and essence of human beings, without which we would lose our identities, is the soul also tainted with sin at birth, just like the body?

Old 04-28-2012, 07:25 AM

From religioustolerance.org, the section on During the process of conception:

Quote:
Many religious groups, Christian and others, believe that God implants a soul in the zygote during the conception process or later. Various faith groups define the soul as containing various combinations of a human's mind, will, emotions, memories, etc. Some groups regard the implantation of the soul as the defining event that changes human life into a human person. Most religious progressives and secularists note that a soul with these functions cannot exist until about the 26th week of pregnancy after the fetus becomes sentient. its higher brain functions first appear, and it becomes aware of its environment; most doubt the existence of the soul, and note that it is believed to be weightless, invisible, and undetectable by any means known to science.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/abo_fetu.htm

Old 04-28-2012, 07:26 AM

Without a soul, is there another way to survive this life and get to heaven?

Old 04-28-2012, 09:40 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,500,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Without a soul, is there another way to survive this life and get to heaven?
Some day humans will likely have an indefinite life span.

But for now, we all die and there doesn't appear to be a soul residing inside you that will allow you to maintain your sapience after death.

That is an uncomfortable thought for many people because your survival instincts push you to strive for eternal life.

So feel free to believe that we have a soul if that makes death easier for you to manage.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Some day humans will likely have an indefinite life span.
People say that... that science can someday get us to that point, where we can live indefinitely, barring fatal accidents. I don't think so. All life is a continuous process from life to death to life to death, and so on, and so forth. Death makes it possible for new life to take place. I don't think humans will ever avoid that very fundamental thing in nature.

Quote:
But for now, we all die and there doesn't appear to be a soul residing inside you that will allow you to maintain your sapience after death.

That is an uncomfortable thought for many people because your survival instincts push you to strive for eternal life.
I agree, the instinct to avoid death is extremely powerful in living things.

Quote:
So feel free to believe that we have a soul if that makes death easier for you to manage.
That seems to be the case for many, doesn't it?

Old 04-28-2012, 01:04 PM

496 posts, read 483,489 times
People who insist that there is no such thing as a soul never include what they think is understood by the word...... apart from an immediate rejection of anything in the composition of the human, which escapes the material conclusion.

If the buck stops there, its no wonder the consideration of a soul is argued. Other then that sometimes you gotta wonder about things in general, the common term sometimes, that person has allot of soul, or that music is expressing allot of soul.....well how can you not sadly wonder sometimes, if some music simply express's very little soul at all? (hitler-stalin types) hmmm Analogy's can be helpful in explaining whats being talked about sometimes. I donno...maybe I got it wrong and can be advised of these confusions. This becomes even more confusing when you think about it because everybody likes allot of soul, I think, maybe it depends though, this is my confusion day.

Last edited by peter-1; 04-28-2012 at 01:21 PM..

Old 04-28-2012, 01:37 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,268,016 times
This is a reminder to everyone to please stay on topic and to re-read the OP if necessary.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality