Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 06:07 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,826 times

Advertisements

People believe differently than someone who makes his money selling stuff to the faithful, outrage ensues. Film at 11.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 10:51 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
“What has changed everything?” asked the apologist from Campus Crusade for Christ International as he spoke on “Unshakable Truth, Relevant Faith” at the Billy Graham Center in Asheville, N.C., Friday evening. His answer was, the Internet.
Arrrrrrrrg...... this is the stupidity that defines the buy bull belt. But it is fun to watch the fear that knowledge and freedom of speech generate in those lost in the willful ignorance of the bronze age.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:58 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
So Christians are losing out in the market place of ideas? So much for free market principles.

Seems to me that evangelicals have as opportunity to post their views than ever before as well, it isn't their fault that logic, rational thought and science have a more compelling story to tell.
That would mean that the playing field was level, and that is totally unacceptable to supporters of ignorance. Here on CD they are very active trying to silence what they cannot counter with reason or evidence. Fortunately in the real world they have no such ability.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:15 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Sort of I think.
Ah, but I don't think you do because you said the following.....

Quote:
Yup truth is pretty much subjective and harder to prove than exposing blatant lies and manipulation of people which of course religions are expert in.
Truth isn't subjective at all. Truth is objective. The truth is the truth no matter how we percieve it. Even if you could say there were no truth at all. I would counter by asking you if that statement were true. So, even if you want to say that truth is subjective, the fact that it is subjective is an objective truth, i.e. an absolute truth.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:16 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,957,328 times
"The Internet has given atheists, agnostics, skeptics, the people who like to destroy everything that you and I believe, the almost equal access to your kids as your youth pastor and you have... whether you like it or not,” said McDowell.

Yet he cannot see that everything that "you and I believe" was indoctrinated and/or shoved down our throats for a really long time. BTW, Mr. McDowell, not everyone in the US (let alone the world) believes "everything that you and I believe." Never have. Another Fundamentalist/Evangelical delusion.

What Mr McDowell also does not recognize is that the only people who actually seem upset by it all are Fundamentalist/Evangelical Christians and Fundamentalist Muslims (funny how the "F" word appears in both those examples. I don't hear Jews, Buddhists, Taoists, (heck name a religion), or even main stream Christians getting all bent out of shape about it.

If their faith is strong and they purportedly have the "Truth" on their side, why do they fear atheists and agnostics or, for that matter, other religions? It think deep down where it counts, where no one sees them and in their most secret thoughts, they really don't believe any of it, but are to afraid to step away from it. Why else do they fear us so? Oh wait, he says so right here:

“Now here is the problem,” said McDowell, “going all the way back, when Al Gore invented the Internet [he said jokingly], I made the statement off and on for 10-11 years that the abundance of knowledge, the abundance of information, will not lead to certainty; it will lead to pervasive skepticism. And, folks, that’s exactly what has happened. It’s like this. How do you really know, there is so much out there… This abundance [of information] has led to skepticism. And then the Internet has leveled the playing field [giving equal access to skeptics].”

Yep, information. It has always been the Church's mortal enemy. Oh forbid that people become educated and knowledgeable about things. They might just start to question some cement-haired, sweating moron (or worse schuckster) wearing a cheap suit and waving a bible. Hallelujah!

Last edited by Fullback32; 04-30-2012 at 10:42 PM..

Old 05-01-2012, 12:02 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,215,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Truth isn't subjective at all. Truth is objective. The truth is the truth no matter how we perceive it. Even if you could say there were no truth at all. I would counter by asking you if that statement were true. So, even if you want to say that truth is subjective, the fact that it is subjective is an objective truth, i.e. an absolute truth.
Of course we have absolute truths, we definitely know the truth how rainbows are formed and not because of some covenant way back when.

I was inferring more to the purported realities folk find themselves in and what they perceive as "truth".

I really am not disagreeing with your original statement.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
"The Internet has given atheists, agnostics, skeptics, the people who like to destroy everything that you and I believe, the almost equal access to your kids as your youth pastor and you have... whether you like it or not,†said McDowell.

Yet he cannot see that everything that "you and I believe" was indoctrinated and/or shoved down our throats for a really long time. BTW, Mr. McDowell, not everyone in the US (let alone the world) believes "everything that you and I believe." Never have. Another Fundamentalist/Evangelical delusion.

What Mr McDowell also does not recognize is that the only people who actually seem upset by it all are Fundamentalist/Evangelical Christians and Fundamentalist Muslims (funny how the "F" word appears in both those examples. I don't hear Jews, Buddhists, Taoists, (heck name a religion), or even main stream Christians getting all bent out of shape about it.

If their faith is strong and they purportedly have the "Truth" on their side, why do they fear atheists and agnostics or, for that matter, other religions? It think deep down where it counts, where no one sees them and in their most secret thoughts, they really don't believe any of it, but are to afraid to step away from it. Why else do they fear us so? Oh wait, he says so right here:

“Now here is the problem,†said McDowell, “going all the way back, when Al Gore invented the Internet [he said jokingly], I made the statement off and on for 10-11 years that the abundance of knowledge, the abundance of information, will not lead to certainty; it will lead to pervasive skepticism. And, folks, that’s exactly what has happened. It’s like this. How do you really know, there is so much out there… This abundance [of information] has led to skepticism. And then the Internet has leveled the playing field [giving equal access to skeptics].â€

Yep, information. It has always been the Church's mortal enemy. Oh forbid that people become educated and knowledgeable about things. They might just start to question some cement-haired, sweating moron (or worse schuckster) wearing a cheap suit and waving a bible. Hallelujah!
Good to see you posting again FB.

The great thing is when these excuses for snakeoil salesmen cite the other sides stuff and usually out of context, a mere highlight of the sentence and right click and search google for will lead you to the source.

The apologists nightmare is not a banana, it is google or yahoo or dogpile.

Phact checking is phun even if you cannot splel

Old 05-01-2012, 03:36 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times
Quote:
The belief or worldview, McDowell said, forms values, which in turn drive one’s behavior. The worldview “is where we are falling down the most anywhere in the world.” So what is the prevalent worldview in America today? “There is no truth apart from myself,” that’s what even many young “evangelical, fundamental, born-again Christians” believe, he said.

While 51 percent of evangelical Christians did not believe in absolute truth in an earlier survey, the percentage escalated to 62 in 1994. In 1999, it jumped to 78 percent. “You know what it is now?” asked McDowell. “One of the most staggering statistics in history of the church… 91 percent said there is no absolute truth apart from myself.”

Another study, added McDowell, showed that only six percent of all teenagers in America, including Christians, said there isn’t any truth apart from myself. There was a difference of only five percent between believers and non-believers, he noted. Moreover, less than four percent of evangelical born-again Christians believed the Bible was infallible in every situation, and 63 percent of them believed He is “a” Son of God and not “the” Son of God, he added.

Apologist Josh McDowell: Internet the Greatest Threat to Christians
Have you read any of Josh McDowell's 'books'?

I read "Evidence that Demands a Verdict". It was full of quote mines from other Apologists, misrepresentations from legitimate biblical scholars, faith based (not evidence-based) claims, and outright lies.

If I had actually paid good money for it instead of borrowing it, I would have "Demanded a Refund".

From what I can gather, all his 'books' are like this. He is a scammer out to make money off gullible people who have a very low standard for so-called 'evidence' of something they really really want to believe.

Definitely a 'snake-oil' salesman with claims that are not very difficult to debunk for those who actually bother to research his 'sources'. Something his adoring followers never seem to do.

Last edited by Ceist; 05-01-2012 at 03:44 AM..

Old 05-01-2012, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Have you read any of Josh McDowel's 'books'?

I read "Evidence that Demands a Verdict". It was full of quote mines from other Apologists, misrepresentations from legitimate biblical scholars, faith based (not evidence-based) claims, and outright lies.

If I had actually paid good money for it instead of borrowing it, I would have "Demanded a Refund".

From what I can gather, all his 'books' are like this. He is a scammer out to make money off gullible people who have a very low standard for so-called 'evidence' of something they really really want to believe.
No the US apologist stuff really does not sell well here even among xians. I cant remember seeing this in xian book stores and we really do not have a debate here in SA. No one believes in YEC here apart from a few gullible folk aligned to US churches. Religion has always been a private matter and we really have not had too much sway of the religious in policy issues or education. Real science, history and geography are taught here and has been so for a long while.

Plus Africa is rife with evidence of old earth and many kids grow up seeing this for themselves first hand

We have our loons but they are limited to blogs and have no sway over the masses. One just has to point to the two world's oldest cave formations and say, explain that! and they shaddup.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:42 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times
Quote:
No the US apologist stuff really does not sell well here even among xians. I cant remember seeing this in xian book stores and we really do not have a debate here in SA. No one believes in YEC here apart from a few gullible folk aligned to US churches. Religion has always been a private matter and we really have not had too much sway of the religious in policy issues or education. Real science, history and geography are taught here and has been so for a long while.

Plus Africa is rife with evidence of old earth and many kids grow up seeing this for themselves first hand

We have our loons but they are limited to blogs and have no sway over the masses. One just has to point to the two world's oldest cave formations and say, explain that! and they shaddup.
Sounds similiar to here in Australia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality