Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 05:01 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,385,615 times

Advertisements

A pothead co-worker of mine tried to join some Indian group that is legally allowed to have peyote ceremonies. What a groaner to hear that. But then, he speeds in a bright-red truck with the license plate "Trippin" and wonders why he gets stopped so often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 05:42 PM

328 posts, read 767,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
It seems such a vague term that I'd rather see it as a way of putting off people who approach with eager smiles and Tracts. I'd need to chat to them to find out out just what the term meant to them and what their beliefs were, but it sounds to me like the religious equivalent of 'I have all the insurance I need, thanks.'

I am happily pagan, but frequently give the answer of "I'm spiritual" in order to not be an open book about my religion when asked by people who I know do not share my beliefs.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:53 PM

289 posts, read 311,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I wasn't speaking about OTHER religions. The answer "I'm spiritual" says nothing about what religion someone adheres to, if at all.
I don't understand why you think it should. I think that many people do this to attempt to express in shorthand that they don't belong to what would be classified as an "organized religion", yet don't believe in the "there's nothing but the physical world" idea that is commonly attributed to atheism.

This leads me to wonder also if the reverse can be true....can one be "religious" without being "spiritual" as well? Or are they part and parcel?

Quote:
I seriously doubt if one went into a hippy-dippy neighborhood and half the people answered "I'm spiritual," which would very likely be the case, there would be any common denominator, let alone any time set aside for worship or meditation. Let's get real.
Again, I don't know why you think there should be a common denominator. Or why having a set of beliefs requires "time set aside for worship or meditation".

I realize you're viewing this through the prism of being Catholic, which is a belief system that is very rote, doctrinal, ritualized, etc. (note that this is not a judgement on whether this is a good or bad thing). I think people who identify as "spiritual" simply experience their beliefs in a much more generalized way than someone who identifies as religious (whose beliefs are usually very specific by comparison). Obviously, as with all things, this isn't true for everyone. It's simply my own personal experience.

Quote:
As for my being uneducated, nothing could be further from the truth. Perhaps my choice of things to study has been too functional, thereby rendering me a little obtuse on some levels.
I wouldn't call you uneducated. Viewing beliefs from a different perspective just makes it more difficult to understand where someone else is 'coming from'. It certainly takes practice to overcome, and I think that's true for everyone.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:05 PM

289 posts, read 311,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redandorangeskittles View Post
I am happily pagan, but frequently give the answer of "I'm spiritual" in order to not be an open book about my religion when asked by people who I know do not share my beliefs.
I admit that I have done something fairly analogous to this in the past as well. Not everyone has the desire/inclination to discuss their beliefs with others, especially strangers, and especially when they know it will quickly devolve into having to defend said beliefs.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:28 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times
Quote:
When did it become popular to answer the question of religious affiliation with "I'm spiritual?" That's another great catch-all trite phrase which means absolutely nothing. Seriously, is there a baseline for even pulling this answer apart? When I get that answer, my thought is "this is someone I can't even relate to."

The other "goodies:" a lot of the people that call themselves "spiritual" seem to like Eastern thought and philosophy, yet they don't practice any of the religions of the Eastern world. Those religions have temples that people belong to, just like neighborhood churches, in their respective neighborhoods in a city. The people I see filing into these places are all ethnic. Are these "spiritual" people Richard Gere-wannabees?

Does someone want to take a crack at this one?
It's no different now than it has ever been. Someone likes certain aspects of certain faiths, and doesn't like certain aspects of those same faiths. So, they steal from those religions, and form a new one, just as Christianity stole in large part from greek mythology and buddhism, and Islam stole from them, and round and round we go. Cue riflemans tetherball analogy.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:36 PM

19,706 posts, read 20,236,139 times
Quote:
I'd be indifferent, for the most part.

However, if the "spiritual" person was cut from the hipster mold, I would have no business hanging around with that person, since I'm about a "180" from that, in addition to being older than that demographic.

I have had some atheist friends and acquaintances. Some of my Catholic school friends are now atheists. I get along with them better. We rarely discuss religion, and agree to disagree. If anything, they are very keenly observant of what's going on in the world and will spare you the bullshyte so, on that level, we're on the same wavelength.
I see it this way- at least "spiritual" people are still making the effort..lol

Old 05-08-2012, 10:37 PM

19,706 posts, read 20,236,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
It's no different now than it has ever been. Someone likes certain aspects of certain faiths, and doesn't like certain aspects of those same faiths. So, they steal from those religions, and form a new one, just as Christianity stole in large part from greek mythology and buddhism, and Islam stole from them, and round and round we go. Cue riflemans tetherball analogy.

This is a very good point.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:45 AM

256 posts, read 480,150 times
I don't understand why some are offended by the word "spiritual"... as if any religion should be without spirituality. That would leave nothing but dogma. Oh, wait...

I see more and more Christian churches embrace the word and the meaning, which, in my book, is great.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:56 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,547,665 times
Quote:
When did it become popular to answer the question of religious affiliation with "I'm spiritual?" ... Does someone want to take a crack at this one?
I am guessing it became popular when the religious split into so many splinter groups that it became impossible to understand what any of them actually believed. I have been reading religious literature for more than 40 years now, and as far as I can tell only God can figure out how many different belief systems there are -- just as God knows how many grains of sand, or hairs on our heads.

In truth, the only religious affiliation you should be concerned with is YOURS.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:59 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
Quote:
I wasn't speaking about OTHER religions. The answer "I'm spiritual" says nothing about what religion someone adheres to, if at all. I seriously doubt if one went into a hippy-dippy neighborhood and half the people answered "I'm spiritual," which would very likely be the case, there would be any common denominator, let alone any time set aside for worship or meditation. Let's get real.

As for my being uneducated, nothing could be further from the truth. Perhaps my choice of things to study has been too functional, thereby rendering me a little obtuse on some levels.
Maybe because they don't adhere to one and that's exactly what they're trying to convey?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality