Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 11:30 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,045,428 times

Advertisements

Ya' know - we all know the story from Genesis 6:1-2 (well, we SHOULD know the story by now):
Now it was when humans first became many on the face of the soil
and women were born to them,
that the divine beings [the sons of God/gods] saw how beautiful the human women [the daughters of man/Mankind] were,
so they took themselves wives, whomever they chose.
(Genesis 6:1-2, SB - brackets my own)
Later tradition, after having relegated the status of "the sons of God/gods" from "gods" to "angels", would make much out of this small, short story and attribute much of humanity's practices and knowledge as tips and tricks gained from pillow-talk, if ya' know what I mean!

BUT - the following video shows that perhaps someone got the sex of the culprits wrong. I owe this reference to Remnant of Giants (here) - a blog worth your time. Check it out! In the meantime: Watch, and enjoy!

Lynx Excite TV Advert - Full Length Version - YouTube

Old 05-06-2012, 11:57 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
I never could get an answer as to why the bible refers to woman as "daughters of man", and the men as "sons of god"...still don't know.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I never could get an answer as to why the bible refers to woman as "daughters of man", and the men as "sons of god"...still don't know.
It was a way of referring to things by noting it's "type", with the term "son of" or "daughter of" just being a way of invoking relationships and demonstrating limitations and aspects of the thing being named. It does not necessarily imply a direct lineage, except in certain instances. A rough way of explaining it's basic usage is below:

A "son of God/gods" is basically "a god". (Sometimes it means "the King" or "the People of God")
A "son of man/Mankind is basically a "mortal" or "human".
A "daughter of man/Mankind is a "female mortal" - it's more specific than "son of man".
A "son of beasts" is an animal, etc.

The term is also used in other aspects like the "sons of shame" to denote "worthless men" or "wicked men", essentially - but that is a simplification.

You can skip the rest of this, as it's fairly long - the above was the quick-and-easy explanation. The rest is just details and interesting tidbits.

A son of God/gods
The reason for the uncertainty ("God" or "gods") is because of the word used: elohim, it's normal grammatical usage being "gods". Israelite writers, at some point, used it as a substitute to refer to Yahweh or the High God of their religion - depending on how you look at it. Its strange grammatical usage is dicussed by Daniel McKellan here: //www.city-data.com/forum/23559592-post1.html - in which he devoted an entire thread to the issue. I highly reccomend a reading of it, as it really is a strange issue.

Because of this confusion, it is not always certain whether a biblical writer meant "God" or "gods" when they used the term elohim, and the context must help us determine it's intended usage.

In speaking of these "sons of God", Psalm 89:6-7 provides a helpful example of poetic parallelism (where a term is synonomous in the next line but with a different term). In the following NJPS translation (as above in the SB's Genesis) - to avoid certain implications that a literal translation and understanding would yield - uses "divine beings" for "gods", with the literal Hebrew being "sons of God/gods". This is done to accomodate later ideas of angels, proposed by later writers who were uncomfortable with earlier ideas of the West Semitic concept of the Divine Council, presided over by El (appropriated by Yahweh in some texts).
Your wonders, O LORD, are praised by the heavens [another term that frequently denoted "gods"],
Your faithfulness, too, in the assembly of holy beings ["Holy Ones": an Ugaritic term for "gods", also used by Israelite poets].

For who in the skies can equal the LORD,
can compare with the LORD among the divine beings, [gods],
a God greatly dreaded in the council of holy beings [gods],
held in awe by all around Him?
The NJPS follows many standard pratices of translating YHWH as "the LORD". In addition to changing that, a better translation would yield something akin to this (I've bolded parallelisms):
Your wonders, O Yahweh, are praised by the heavens,
Your faithulness, too, in the assembly of Holy Ones.

For who in the skies can equal Yahweh,
can compare with Yahweh among the gods,
a god greatly dreaded in the Council of the Holy Ones,
held in awe by all around him?
In the Book of Job, Eliphaz's first speech gives us another clue to the identity of the "Holy Ones" - he is decrying the idea of appealing to gods other than God (perhaps a reference to the Mesopotmanian concept of a "personal god" who advocated for one in the heavens before the high gods):
"Call now, will any answer you?
To which of the Holy Ones will you turn?
(Job 5:1, AB)
But I digress. The term "sons of God/gods" in the Hebrew Bible basically means "gods". There are more specific examples of when this phrase is applied in different meanings and contexts, but that is completely different and dependent on the time period in which it is written. The ABD gives some of these other meanings. For example, in the Hebrew Bible it can mean "god", "the King", or "the People of God"; in Jewish writings, it can mean "the Messiah", "a Righteous Individual", "a Charismatic inidividual", an "exalted Angel"; in the New Testament it can mean "Jesus Christ", "the Heavenly Messiah", "Sons of God on Earth" deriving from the transfiguration's "installation" of certain individuals, "the Preexistent Son of God from Heaven", etc.

Sons of "man" and daughters of "man"
The famous New Testament title "the Son of Man", as applied to Jesus Christ, has it's roots in the Hebrew Bible. It should not be capitalized, technically, in the Hebrew Bible - as it refers to humans, or mortals. It's okay to capitalize it in the New Testament, as it has achieved status as title - not as mere appellative.

The Hebrew word adam can mean several things: a human, humanity or a single male human. Much of this is determined by, once again, the context and whether the definite article "the" is present. There's a difference between referring to adam and ha-adam ("ha" means "the" when prefixed to a word). So when the term "son of adam" is used, it usually refers to a human, regardless of sex. This aspect is also part of how language works - in most languages, when a group of humans or animals of both sexes are referred to, masculine markers are used to mark them. Case-endings usually always use masculine markers for groups. The term "daughters of man" is more sexually explicit (no pun intended) in that it narrows it down to human female mortals. So a "daughter of man/mankind/humanity" is the Hebrew idiom used. That is why most translators, knowing that modern readers are usually not aware of such idioms, just translate "mortal" or "woman" in such cases. I, personally, prefer the much more poetic idiom.

Especially see Ezekiel, who is referred to as "son of man" 93 times. It is likely that this is meant to contrast his "mortal" status with that of God's, OR it could mean that Ezekiel has attained a special status: "THE mortal supreme" as the mouth of God. Daniel and I Enoch will take the term and start applying it in a much more exalted status, until the New Testament writers see it as a title: Son of Man. It has an interesting history, that's for sure.

Anyways, if you made it this far - I hope that helps.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:09 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Hercules - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-06-2012, 02:12 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
Genesis 6: The Daughters of God and the Sons of Man
Your title is incorrect. It should be "the sons of god and the daughters of the human":

Gen 6:1-2 And coming is it that humanity starts to be multitudinous on the
surface of the ground, and daughters are born to them. (2) And seeing are
sons of the elohim the daughters of the human, that they are good, and
taking are they for themselves wives of all whom they choose.

Notice "elohim" is in lowercase type?

KJV has:
Psa_82:6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

Concordant Literal has:
Psa 82:6 I Myself have said:you are elohim, And sons of the Supreme are all of you."

The sons of the elohim were sons of the main subjectors of mankind back then. These sons were trying to amalgamate their power base by trying to marry into the humans (Adam's) daughters which came directly from him. Adam, being the starter of the human race back then was looked upon as someone very special.

It is not about angels intermarrying with humans. Jesus said the angels are neither marrying nor giving in marriage. Why? Most likely they have no reproductive organs.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:14 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,004,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Your title is incorrect. It should be "the sons of god and the daughters of the human":

Gen 6:1-2 And coming is it that humanity starts to be multitudinous on the
surface of the ground, and daughters are born to them. (2) And seeing are
sons of the elohim the daughters of the human, that they are good, and
taking are they for themselves wives of all whom they choose.

Notice "elohim" is in lowercase type?

KJV has:
Psa_82:6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

Concordant Literal has:
Psa 82:6 I Myself have said:you are elohim, And sons of the Supreme are all of you."

The sons of the elohim were sons of the main subjectors of mankind back then. These sons were trying to amalgamate their power base by trying to marry into the humans (Adam's) daughters which came directly from him. Adam, being the starter of the human race back then was looked upon as someone very special.

It is not about angels intermarrying with humans. Jesus said the angels are neither marrying nor giving in marriage. Why? Most likely they have no reproductive organs.
Eusebius there are so MANY things wrong with your explanation I don't even know where to start but I can tell you that your explanation is rooted in the fear that it implies that the biblical god had sons. For the Christian, that is a big no no and thus your explanation.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Eusebius there are so MANY things wrong with your explanation I don't even know where to start but I can tell you that your explanation is rooted in the fear that it implies that the biblical god had sons. For the Christian, that is a big no no and thus your explanation.
I think he missed the point that this thread and it's title was meant as a joke. The video gives it away, one would think (along with the fact that I quoted the actual text ha ha)!
Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-07-2012 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: that was bait..BIG Bait

Old 05-06-2012, 10:23 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Yeah, how can the title be incorrect if it is a joke Which was obvious. Why is he so reactionary? It is like there is a block on his comprehension and critical thinking skills - he has done this recently on other threads. I seriously hope he is not physically having problems - HONESTLY. On the other hand he is probably not even trying to - and that would be even more problematic simply because it says something about him as a person and the value he puts on others and their inputs - even if we disagree. I have at least made myself familiar with his posts and the interpretation he puts forth - it is called being open and respectful - despite the quick jabs we may throw here and there. I do hope everything is alright with you Eusebius.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:22 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,052,927 times
And seeing are sons of the elohim the daughters of the human,
that they are good,
and taking are they for themselves wives of all whom they choose.

there can be no doubt that this is describing the evolution of caucasians (Gibborim) by selective breeding

at this time the nephilim (Gigantes) were in the earth

Old 05-07-2012, 12:40 AM

526 posts, read 692,196 times
Quote:
BUT - the following video shows that perhaps someone got the sex of the culprits wrong. I owe this reference to Remnant of Giants (here) - a blog worth your time. Check it out! In the meantime: Watch, and enjoy!

Ι did enjoy it, Whoppers, thanks!
Quote:
In the Book of Job, Eliphaz's first speech gives us another clue to the identity of the "Holy Ones" - he is decrying the idea of appealing to gods other than God (perhaps a reference to the Mesopotmanian concept of a "personal god" who advocated for one in the heavens before the high gods)
Could you please cite some passages where this “personal god” is mentioned?
It is very important for me as it has to do with my theory about the identity of the Egyptian Ba.

Thank you (kisses too )!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality